Acceptable Forum Language

Bill

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha. I just can't work out how to make them so maybe I'll have to get the grandson on the case; He's five and knows about these things.lol

I started this thread for what I thought were valid reasons that maybe needed a look at and at the same time to stimulate a bit of debate and yes sorry I've not posted that much on the subject mainly because of time limitatations in recent days.

By and large I think the standards on the forum are pretty good and from what I see, there's not much need for moderation. Course when discussing this, there's always going to be a whole different set of oppinions as to what's appropriate. Personally I still think the wording "get smiley-talk034.gif" is pushing the bounds of decencey, others clealy think otherwise including the mods but this is what the debates all about.

Bill :)

Like I said earlier Bill, good idea for a thread, the only ones who've got a little chippy are the old guard.

Without reason though, like you say, there's not much that needs moderating around here.

Has anyone ever used the phrase "g*t smiley-talk034.gif" on these boards?

Never seen it myself and never been inclined to use it.

At ease, folks.

note from Dizzy... I moderated the followin post earlier, but please note that neither BILL or FUGTIFINO quote or used any objectional or foul language in full. Where the image smiley-talk034.gif appears this it just to replace wording that contained ***'s which I felt left the word still legible even in that context.

Has anyone ever used the phrase "g*t smiley-talk034.gif" on these boards?

Well, replace all but one of the stars with letters and the answer is yes.

What?s more, the post in question isn?t that hard to find. It?s still where it was when I started this thread in the first post on the first topic of the national section,

I thought I?d made this point clear enough in my original post or maybe the red mist descended too quickly for the old guard as you put it.

I still don?t see any answers here but lets just go back to my original point. Does inserting a star make a swear word any less offensive? Personally I don?t think it does and if someone were to tell me tosmiley-talk034.gifoff, it wouldn?t matter how many stars were used, I?d take it as an insult.

Now consider this. If we were to arrange all swear words on a sliding scale for 1 to 10 where 10 is the most offensive, then I reckon the F word would be right up there near the top.

Finally, take my now edited out swear word, bearing in mind the context in which it was used and put it into the same pot of acceptability as ?get smiley-talk034.gif?and you can see why I find this a little objectionable. And hence the reason I thought the subject merited debate.

Well the forums moved on a long way since things like that happened and as I say, all in all I can?t see much that would need to be edited. In the past it may have been a bit Sunday school like and debates like this would never have been allowed to get this far. Spare a thought at this point for poor old Gary who?s probably hanging on every word of this in case we go too far.

PS missed the inverted commas out of poor old Gary

Old or Poor? As Sid would say, insert as appropriate! :lol::lol::lol:

Bill..... is there any need for you to keep making comment and quoting the 'f' word in your posts ? You say it offends you but you yourself are using the very same term with *'s in your posts.

The first time it you referenced did not bother me as I realsied that you were simply drawing attention to the issue.

However I am going to go through your more recent posts and any others and remove them all.

I'm sorry if you or anyone else has issue with me doing this but I feel the constant reference and display of it is getting rather OTT .

Oh and by the way... the only reason I have not deleted the one on the other topic that you mentioned (which seems to have slipped the net) is that I didn't see it and after you mentioned it I actually forgot to delete it :oops: I'll try and find it now and I will remove that too for you.

Thanks, Dizzy

I have deleted the word on the other post Bill.

In all the 5 years I have posted on here I do not recall there ever being many instances of strong language being used by posters.

In the time that I have been a moderator I have only ever had to remove around 4 or 5 rather strong words and 2 of those have been from a new poster who may not have fully understood the rules or the standards that all other posters abide by.

Considering the 1000's of posts made on here every week that's pretty good going eh :D

So in reality it is rare that anything ever needs moderating although perhaps at times I have been a little too cautious and edited where perhaps there was no real need, appologies for that :D:oops:

The life of a 'moderator' is a boring one though as it means you have to keep a brief eye on all the topics ... even the ones on football Zzzzzzzzzzz :lol::lol::lol:

The debate is about the F word and in particular why it seems to acceptable to use in it's stared out form here on Warrington Worldwide.

Please remember that it's me that's complaining about the bad language and you that's making light of it.

However I am going to go through your more recent posts and any others and remove them all.

Let me save you some time then Diz don?t bother I don?t use language like this and I strongly object to the insinuation that I do.

Bill

Hiya Bill, I'm not quite sure why you are now having a go at me but out of politeness I will reply.

Perhaps you could take a second to remember that I am just a normal everyday forum member, just like you all are, with the only difference being that I have a little button that allows me to edit other posts if needed, which is rare.

The debate is about the F word and in particular why it seems to acceptable to use in it's stared out form here on Warrington Worldwide.

I do realise that but as you have also pointed out yourself the inlusion of ****'s in the word makes it just as legible to the reader as without. That is why I decided to remove all your latest *'d ones too.

Please remember that it's me that's complaining about the bad language and you that's making light of it.

Bill I am not making light of it at all and it is a good topic which may people have joined in with :?

]However I am going to go through your more recent posts and any others and remove them all.

Let me save you some time then Diz don?t bother I don?t use language like this and I strongly object to the insinuation that I do.

Bill

Ohhh Bill :cry: I know you don't use language like that and that you never would but like I have already tried to explain, and as you yourself pointed out initially, the inlusion of ****'s in a strong word makes it just as legible to the reader as without.

That is why I chose to remove your *'d instances of the 'you know what' word.

FOR ANYONE READING.... PLEASE NOTE THAT BILL DID NOT USE THE FULL WORD it was merely a few letters with the rest being substituted by *'s.

And finally Bill... I seem to be in a no win situation here with you.

You complain that the word was inadvertantly left in on another topic with it's ***'s but now you are complaining that I have deleted the same from your posts.

Hope that explains it a little better to you and I have since amended your above posts to clarify that you did NOT use the full word.

Have a nice day Bill :D

This thread is well past it b****y sell by date. Lock it before it makes the Forum a target for ridicule.

Could'nt agree more, it's becoming very boring, I say if you do not accept the forum rules/guidlines or whatever else you wish to call them, do not post :roll:

:lol::lol::lol:

Discussion on 'bad language' now closed by mutual agreement rather than locking eh, providing no-one posts on it again of course :P:lol: It is rather boring Zzzzzzzzzz

Eagle.. there are a lot of other threads well past their sell by date too and some even a target for ridicule..... the latter being mostly due to the fact that I post in them :wink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This thread is well past it b****y sell by date. Lock it before it makes the Forum a target for ridicule.

and where were you when I suggested this previously.

Dizzy you will end up in a no win situation with someone on here - which is why I suggested it had run its course.

You have the power to lock it when you are ready :wink: But make sure you don't upset Bill :twisted:

I don't want to have to phsically lock it Gary because that will look worse to any others reading the forum. :cry: But I will now if I have to 8)

I'd like to think that all of us on here are grown up enough to just stop posting or commenting by ourselves, to accept each others views and to simply let the main contentious issues rest now that opinions have been made.

Me and Bill have managed it and we both now understand each others point of view... so I'm sure everyone else can do the same in a friendly and 'no hard feelings way'.

That way everyone is happy and after all we are all a nice, happy, friendly bunch of people anyway :D