Acceptable Forum Language

Bill

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know :oops: The edited ones Fugs showed were people's names so that was a bit OTT.

I'll leave that one upto Gary and Peter to decide although personally I don't like seeing it on a forum (ie in writing) when it is directed at a another person by way of an insult.

I do have a habit of using term verbally a lot myself though to describe certain 'people' :oops::shock::lol:

I know some words that are allowed though :P

Like I say Diz, I hope it was automatic, I mean, not even Steve would edit something like Moby Dick or Dick Van Dyke, would he...?

In those days posts used to show any editing by posters in tiny writing, a bit different now I think. I can verify that in at least two of the posts there the word in question was edited out by someone or SOMETHING on the admin side of WWW. Gunga was a good bloke and smart with it, my guess would be that he didn't put the asterisks there.

Baz - imo it should have been accepted then, certainly and at least as a proper noun.

Seriously, there is a post up and running at the moment regarding sensorship, perhaps the above photo should be considered in that light as it is possible that this lady may still have relatives in the community and may have access to this forum either directly or indirectly, I think we ought to use a little bit of restraint when taking photographs in our or any churchyard and perhaps ensure that the names on gravestones or not readable. Sorry to seem a bit of a killjoy but I do feel strongly about this topic. :shock:

I'm sorry Algy if it offended you and YES you are completely right in what you have said so I have deleted my post and the photo in its entirety. I have also deleted the comment made after it.

I still think it was rather amusing though :oops: Sorry :lol:

Well there's a first anyway.. a moderator having to 'moderate' their own posts. Just shows it can happen to anyone eh :wink:

PS Algy... you are currently in the topic about censorship :wink:

Why lock it Gary?

No-one is falling out over it or anything and it's a really good discussion that a lot of people have entered into .....not to mention that we've had a bit of fun too :lol:

......or do you mean that one particular moderator :oops: should be moderating this one and deleting the 'd' words rather than joining in the light hearted discussion :wink:

Can you please let people know if the 'd' one is out of bounds unless it is a person's name though so we all know, not that it is one that I would use on here :wink:

Seems a shame to lock it for no real reason :cry:

Diz, it's not that it offended me, in a different situatation I would have found that very amusing, just concerened about relatives that'a all, it would not offend anyone buried six foot under the ground I'm afraid they are well past feeling anything.

Hey don't worry about it Algy it was my own fault for not thinking and you are perfectly right in what you say. :wink:

Ironically prior to uploading it I did actually look at the date that the person passed away just to check it wasn't recent and it looked like 1900 aged 86 so my brain cell said 'thats ok as the children will probably not be alive either'.... I never even considered other relatives :shock::oops::oops:

Anyway we'd better stop talking about it now as everyone who missed it will be intrigued :wink:

So back to 'acceptable/unacceptable language' and the use thereof :lol:

Why lock it Gary?

So I don't have to keep checking that people are not over stepping the mark with their language :roll::lol::wink:

Regarding the d word - it is not very nice to refer to a person as a d so if it being used in an offensive manner it should not be used.

Don't forget another rule of the forum is that members should not insult each other and show a little respect and understanding for differing opinions.

At the end of the day as long as people agree with me we won't fall out. :twisted::lol:

Why lock it Gary?

So I don't have to keep checking that people are not over stepping the mark with their language :roll::lol::wink:

Ahhh so you don't you trust me check too anymore then ....... I don't blame you either :wink:

smiley-angelic008.gif

Regarding the d word - it is not very nice to refer to a person as a d so if it being used in an offensive manner it should not be used.

Thanks for clarifying that one.. now we all know :D

Don't forget another rule of the forum is that members should not insult each other and show a little respect and understanding for differing opinions.

Can we (I say 'we' as I am just a normal forum member) still insult each other if we do it in a nice way and not a nasty way :D

I'm sure we all do respect and understand each others opinions (I exclude Obs and the Lt as they will never understand each other :lol:) but strong difference of opinion, disagreements, stances and even the odd rants at each other are what lead to healthier, more interesting, more indepth and more diverse 'debates' on the forum.

At the end of the day as long as people agree with me we won't fall out. :twisted::lol:

Nice one :lol: but ooops have we just fallen out smiley-shocked028.gif:wink:

smiley-happy110.gif

I'm sure we all do respect and understand each others opinions (I exclude Obs and the Lt as they will never understand each other :lol:) but strong difference of opinion, disagreements, stances and even the odd rants at each other are what lead to healthier, more interesting, more indepth and more diverse 'debates' on the forum.

Has the grown up level of discussion on this topic suddenly dwindled down to childlike comments since the 'd' word and the name started to crop up.... Yes it has :roll::lol::lol:

Right here's my quick and rational thought on the subject....

There are certain words in today's language that many people find offensive such as ........ I will of course not list them but as Evilsid would say "(insert your offensive word here)" in your mind only and not if you quote me !!!So... at what point in the language growth did these words become offensive and who decided that they were and why?

For example I often like to use little words 'twonk' or 'dip stick'

(although I have never used them on here as I don't know any of you), or words like 'muppet' (which I have used on here) etc.

I'm sure the non swearers on here have their own funny little words that they may use from time to time too... or maybe not as I am a bit odd. :lol:

Now, if everyone started using alternative words, or even made up ones, instead of the ones we all know are offensive ... then if these words in turn became more widely used (and I dont't mean on here by the way incase Gary or other mods are reading and getting panicky)..... how long do you recon it would take for someone somewhere to decide that they too would become classed as as offensive language just as the words that "(you inserted here)" earlier are perceved today ?

Maybe we should all just make up a load of new words and scrap all the old ones :lol:

From now on I will be referring to idiotic drivers as 'interplops' and not by my usual term :D

PS Just incase Victor reads this.....I have not checked it for capital letters, spelling mistakes or grammar as I was in a rush :lol: