Acceptable Forum Language

Bill

Dizzy, Remind me sometime to give you the details of the past and the moderation that has taken place.

That's why I commented as at the moment things are fairly calm. IF posters have any problems with the rules and their implementation they should pm the moderators.

Trust me Dizzy, it has not always been a happy place.

As should be known, the rules are quite clear so a list is NOT required.

So if any poster is unhappy at any editing, PM a Moderator or Admin.

Preferably Dizzy or myself. Gary, I should imagine has enough to worry about.

Bill, NO red mist, just a long memory of what happens when people get mischievous. :wink:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter.... is whatever happened in the past relevant though as it doesn't seem to happen these days? I'm sorry I shouldn't say that as I am of course a newbie and I respect you, Gary and the others who have made this forum what it is today :oops:

The 'list' was a JOKE by the way but for some reason I seem to be be making things worse by taking all this somewhat lightheartedly so I will sign off in a few minutes :lol:

Night night Peter and everyone x

Topic distraction... watch this before you go though :lol:

:wink:

I understand Bill's feelings but I have to agree with Peter, because I was here when we had some problems with expletives.

Most of the time we do not use words that would be offensive to others. But there are times when we all want to curse a blue streak about something. I guess as adults we should censor ourselves? Just my thoughts. :arrow:

Good idea for a thread, Bill.

I?m very anti-censorist. I love the way language works and I don?t see why anyone should be restricted in the words they choose to use for what they have to say.

We all do it though.

Not at work, and not at home when there are kids around, but in a social context with people I know, I?m a foul mouthed fu?, er, fella.

Surely it?s all about context? I?d like to think of this place as closer to a social forum rather than a work or home thing, but it doesn?t feel like that sometimes. Peter?s reference to going ?back to the old days? are redundant for me (but completely at odds with his opinion that relaxing this approach has enhanced the forum) because I can?t see the difference. I wouldn?t make a good moderator because I really wouldn?t moderate much here.

I?m more offended by bigotry, ignorance and mean spiritedness than I am by words: after all, that?s all they are. Those who claim something like ?my vocabulary is big enough not to have to resort to using those kind of words haven?t really got it: expletives have a validity.

There?s always been the ?WON?T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!? types, but kids aren?t going to come here looking for kicks when they?ve got Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and something a bit racier than, er, Dizzy Does Dallam(!) available on the web: they?re really not interested in a bunch of old farts talking crap, no much how you might like to flatter yourselves.

I hope it isn?t the case but I?ve sometimes suspected that there?s a general ?the complainant is always right? approach: hope the ?you might not always like what you hear but you shouldn?t go out of your way to feel so easily offended? line is used now and again.

I?ve had my posts changed a few times, sometimes without any explanation, acknowledgement or rational reasoning, but the mods do it for nothing and don?t really have any clear guidelines other than common sense (a totally arbitrary yardstick).

Here?s some moderations (both recent and long ago) I remember:

A link to the Daily Mail I posted was deleted because the page directed to had links to other pages some posters may find offensive. It?s the daily Mail, ffs.

Ffs, a few times, which I thought was a bit OTT.

In a recent exchange one of the posters called me a dick (I think he even used a capital D!), which didn?t really bother me (he probably had a point). But, just to make things worse, this was moderated and replaced with the word ?idiot?. To add even more cack-handed irony, the subsequent insult ?arse? (it cut me to the quick, that one!) was left in. So, not only was I a dick and an arse, one of the mods thought I was an idiot too!

Oh, and I suspect you get scrutinised more if you don?t toe the line.

Anyway, Keep up the good work folks!

I don't want to see expletives used and I agree with Mary that we should be self moderating. The poor speech and attitudes we complain about in today's young people are a direct result of not being taught what is appropriate and when. Surely it is possible to make a point without resorting to language which many find offensive. This is a public forum after all and should be governed by what is acceptable speech in public. :)

:lol::lol: I have to reply to this one :lol::lol:

Good idea for a thread, Bill.

I?m very anti-censorist. I love the way language works and I don?t see why anyone should be restricted in the words they choose to use for what they have to say.

We all do it though.

Not at work, and not at home when there are kids around, but in a social context with people I know, I?m a foul mouthed fu?, er, fella.

I actually agree to some degree although there are certain words that I do not like but I'm ashamed to say that I have used most at some stage or another in certain circumstances :oops: but I would not use them on here.

I seem to remember you mentioning that you work with students. Do you swear in front of them or allow them to swear infront of you?

My only reason for asking is that my sons language has gone appauling since starting college. First week the class was told by the tutors that 'swearing in class was accpetable as long as it wasn't aimed at the tutor'.... Now IMO that is not right :shock:

but kids aren?t going to come here looking for kicks when they?ve got Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and something a bit racier than, er, Dizzy Does Dallam(!) available on the web: they?re really not interested in a bunch of old farts talking crap, no much how you might like to flatter yourselves.

'Dizzy Does Dallam'........ :lol::lol::lol::lol: I like that :lol::wink:

I?ve had my posts changed a few times, sometimes without any explanation, acknowledgement or rational reasoning, but the mods do it for nothing and don?t really have any clear guidelines other than common sense (a totally arbitrary yardstick).

I don't think anyone does it for noting... there must be a reason :wink:

Here?s some moderations (both recent and long ago) I remember:

In a recent exchange one of the posters called me a dick (I think he even used a capital D!), which didn?t really bother me (he probably had a point). But, just to make things worse, this was moderated and replaced with the word ?idiot?. To add even more cack-handed irony, the subsequent insult ?arse? (it cut me to the quick, that one!) was left in. So, not only was I a dick and an arse, one of the mods thought I was an idiot too!

Dilema... do I leave those words in this post or edit them :shock::?

Fugs as you know it was me 'Dallam Dizzy' who edited that one. I did it because I thought it may have been sligthly offensive to you and others reading it.....but yes you are right clearly right I should have left the original stronger word in as it was more fitting :wink::P:lol:

My only reason for asking is that my sons language has gone appauling since starting college. First week the class was told by the tutors that 'swearing in class was accpetable as long as it wasn't aimed at the tutor'.... Now IMO that is not right :shock:

That's terrible! what about the rights of those students who do not wish to be taught in such circumstances and could be really offended or upset?

That's terrible! what about the rights of those students who do not wish to be taught in such circumstances and could be really offended or upset?

Are you certain your son is being truthful over this - if he is adamant this is the case I would like to do a story on the local college which allows students to use foul and abusive language in a classroom environment as long as it is not aimed at the tutor! :shock:

What terrible standards we have if this is true.

Yes it is true Gary and he told me on the day they were told. He was gobsmacked as bad language in school had never been allowed. The tutor laughed when he said it but they are allowd to swear :shock::?

Sadly though he and the other classmates seemed to quite 'like' the idea (maybe they felt like they were being treated as adults ???) and said they thought the tutor was is 'cool' :?

The problem is that once it is allowed it starts to becomes the norm and it certainly should NOT be allowed in a school/college or workplace. I'm sure he probably hears a lot worse at rugby and footy matches though and yes he probably has shouted the odd word too but that still doesn't mean it should be allowed eh .

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything as he might get kicked of his course now his mum has snitched :shock::oops::lol:

Do you swear in front of them or allow them to swear infront of you?

No, though the odd mild one may have been overheard if I've been having problems with the network or something.

Can't imagine the kids here being told it's ok to swear in class, could be wrong though I suppose.

My only reason for asking is that my sons language has gone appauling since starting college.

Let's hope his speeling hasn't gone the same way!

Re the "idiot" thing, no worries, like I said, I'm more likely to be offended by opinions and attitudes (something that doesn't seem to be of concern here) than by words. And I'm more likely to try to thrash it out on here rather than go reporting anything.

Which college are you at?

The best one!

I casually asked some colleagues about the swearing thing and they were horrified at the idea, so it would surprise me if that's what your lad's been told if he's here.

Another colleague told me how uncomfortable her daughter felt when she was instructed to swear by a tutor (it was a drama class, and the swears were part of the script).

Good to hear that your college has certain standards :wink:

Very refreshing to hear that the young girl felt uncomfortable about swearing in the drama script.

Girls can often be even worse than the boys for their use of bad language but obviously not in the case of this young 'Lady' :D

:lol::lol:

I had the red one on my list but I seem to have deleted that one rather than the bottom one oops smiley-shocked003.gif

Ahh well as you didn't take offence at it being included I'll leave it there for now :wink:

Here's a good one if someone is annoying you online smiley-computer012.gif