Do we want our Post Offices?

observer

I thought that you were asking a question not making a statement, however that's you perogative.

I do want a post office especially as my job seekers allowance if I get it may well be paid there. Thats being a bit narrow minded so I'll expand. I also want it for those people who haven't got bank accounts, want a local reliable service etc etc.

Must dash now as I've got to get my CV reviewed. :D

It's always painful when an old monopoly has to be broken up, but it is necessary. Working practices at the Royal Mail are terribly outdated, service is poor and the brand is suffering.

The adverts are a load of expensive tosh, I'd rather the money was spent into better mail tracking facilities and less "lost mail" (had one letter go astray just last week - bloody annoying it is too.

As for local outlets, if they are not cost-effective, what is the Royal Mail supposed to do? It can't afford to be sentimental.

Originally posted by Geoff Settle:

I do want a post office especially as my job seekers allowance if I get it may well be paid there. Thats being a bit narrow minded so I'll expand. I also want it for those people who haven't got bank accounts, want a local reliable service etc etc.

Think that might have all stopped now Geoff, the money is paid directly into a bank account..new simple ones for such a purpose were created, so collecting such money from post offices is a thing of the past....in fact many things now are, much can be done on the internet and direct debits for bill payments are encouraged....even rewarded.....or maybe more accurate to say not penalised.

Observer is right about the bandwagon thing, especially since it seems that before the bandwagon was boarded, the full extent of the proposals were not fully known.

:wink:

[ 07.11.2007, 17:43: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

My local post office, Booths Hill Lymm, is one of those under threat. It is used a lot by old people from the care home across the road from it, many of whom have those cards to draw money from the post office account into which their pension is paid. It is also very well used by all the local population, being situated inside the local Co-op Late Shop.

The proposals for closure give details of the other post offices in Lymm. The main one is in the village and there's one at Statham, both are about a mile away and accessed by routes with steep hills (not so good when you're over 80 and don't drive) and the 3rd is at Broom Edge, 3 miles away.

The same position applies to both Royal Mail AND the Post Offices: State Monopolies that have been forced into a competative enviroment by this Government and it's masters in Brussels. :o We can also add; that it was a New Labour Government that has started side stepping the Post Offices by paying pensions direct into bank accounts; which may or may not be a good thing, depending on personal circumstances. :o:x

The balance sheet.

There are certain things that should be subsidised, and the Post Office is one of them.

As said above, the compulsory pension/benefits payments into a bank account started the problems, with NO CONCERN for those who had no bank account.

Plus the weekly visit to the Post Office was a lifeline to the elderly who saw no-one from one week to another.

And at a time when a lot of properties are on 6 monthly rentals, there is not the neighbourly concern there anymore, and a trip to the P.O was the highlight of the week.

This is just another nail in the coffin for Communities. :x

so if the post office and royal mail are seperate entities, then why doesnt the post office free its restriction of usage and allow people to use the PO to send via otther competative couriers such as CityLink etc.

why do they not offer more services such as fully fledged banking counters for the online only accounts such as cahoot, smile or brokers for online insurance etc.

at the end of the day, they have a counter a clerk and the publics trust, they are stupid to not make use of this inovativly, there are so many services they could offer, but don't the CEO should be shot!

But if they gave all the new options, they wouldn't be able to close them down.

We are being led down a path not of our choosing, and Joe Public doesn't seem to care. They still keep voting New Labour in thinking that they are the Labour of old.

Until the public leave their comfort zone and start to fight back, things will only get worse. :x

But interestingly, given that so much business has been diverted away from Post Offices, many owners might prefer that they are closed so that they can use the space for other things. The one down Bridge Lane in Appleton was one such example.

My guess is that despite all of the protests, campaigns etc. those listed for closure will close.

With regards to the question, I guess many people can manage without them as you can get the basic stamps at the supermarket and many things can be done over the internet, but of course you only realise you need the likes of post offices when they are no longer there.

That's ok Eagle, but a lot of elderly who cannot get about so well, used the P.O and also it was a social occasion whereby they could catch up on things and see people that they didn't see that often as they didn't get out much.

It was not ALL the P.O shops that wanted their P.O's to close.

I dont mind the one in Golden Square closing because I find it so difficult to get there, I do use the post office a lot but it has to be one that I can get to.

Where do I go..... Great Budworth.

Where did I used to go... A few hundred yards away in Irwell road.

I think the whole post office system needs a rehash, In Scotland they have a post office, chemist, bank in the supermarket, why is it not allowed here?