EU presses UK over London air pollution

Ricky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreign registered cars have to be registered in this country within 6 months of arrival. This is an EU directive so I presume it works the other way round as well. Whether you could take the car out of the country 1 day before the 6 months elapsed and bring it back again a couple of days later is a moot point............... :?:?:?

All foreign residents are entitled to drive on their own licences for up to 12 months. In that time they have to pass a UK test otherwise they only have learner status after the 12 months are up which presumably affects their insurance. I assume they would then become liable for vehicle tax in this country as well.

Well I never knew that. But surely it is an offence to drive a vehicle on uk roads without vehicle tax.

I did know that people who are British Nationals but who have lived abroad for many many years and who then come back here can drive on their foreign licences for 12 months but do not then have to resit a UK test, they just get a replacement licence.. even if it has been more that 50 years since they drove over here :shock::?

Foreign cars are not registered with the DVLA so how are they traced, and how do the police know that they have been in this country for more than 6 months. :?:?

And there we have the conundrum. However apparently people have been caught and prosecuted so there must be some mechanism in place. Perhaps foreign registered cars have their registrations noted when they enter the country and placed on a database. :wink::wink:

And there we have the conundrum. However apparently people have been caught and prosecuted so there must be some mechanism in place. Perhaps foreign registered cars have their registrations noted when they enter the country and placed on a database. :wink::wink:

Would this constitute "front line" policing or come under the "back room" form of policing?

All foreign residents are entitled to drive on their own licences for up to 12 months. In that time they have to pass a UK test otherwise they only have learner status after the 12 months are up which presumably affects their insurance. I assume they would then become liable for vehicle tax in this country as well.

apart from EU nationals.