EU presses UK over London air pollution

Ricky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we end up paying through the nose for overpriced home produced clothing, while the Indian kids lose their only means of support. So the government sends even more foreign aid to India and we pay more taxes. A win-win situation Obs? No, I'm afraid the world is a lot more complicated than your narrow viewpoint allows. :wink::wink:

Well that assumes WE should be sending "foreign aid" for a start - India for example, has just launched a space vehicle and has a thriving middle class - so well able to look after THEIR poor. Meanwhile, WE'RE paying taxes to keep OUR workers on the dole (at least we were doing till the cuts). :roll:

However if you look at the real world, the fact is we ARE sending aid to India and a lot of other countries. And International trade is about a lot more than sweat shops in Bangalore or wherever and isolationism is not the way that Britain became, and remains, one of the great trading nations of the world. The only thing that is holding us back is the millstone around our necks that likes to call itself the EU :wink::wink::wink:

We are indeed, and it's the only budget area that isn't being cut (although I believe they dipped into it for the Pope's visit!) - but that doesn't make it right, especially when some of that aid merely allows tin pot dictators to buy arms and siphon off a portion into Swiss bank accounts. Yes we were a great trading Nation - taking slaves from Africa to the New World, cotton and tobacco back to England, then trinkets out to Africa to buy the slaves. Then of course, there was the great opium scam with China, get them hooked on opium from Burma, thus creating a demand that we could supply and get rich on. :wink:

Good grief Obs, what century are you living in? We've had a couple of world wars since then you know. And for your information Britain is still amongst the top trading nations in the world however much you like to denigrate us. The world is a complex place and you can't make simplistic statements and expect them to be right :wink::wink:

I wonder if a car driver could adopt the same principle.... could I register my car in say France, where road tax is almost non existant and continue to drive over here? Or would the EU not allow that because it would clearly be an advantage of membership?....................and we know they aren't allowed :lol:

Do Poles for example, pay car tax and insurance in this Country, when living here? :?

no they don't.......

although we don't when we drive to France or the likes; however in France you do have to pay their motorway tolls; especially if you are driving down to the Med area because otherwise it would take a week to get there on their normal "A" style roads.

However I would agree that some form of test and insurance/road tax would be payable if the person was visiting another country in their vehicle for more than say a month..... That should sting a few poles, latvians and the likes out of some money!