Falling standards of Operating Staff in the Retail Industry.

algy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it makes them happy, why not?

Because you can't demand respect.

The people that I know of who rightly deserve to be called Sir or Mr, have allways insisted on first name terms, even when knowing nothing about them, and meeting them for the first time. It is only the nobodys in life that insist on uping their named status in life.

Think I'll start calling everyone mucker from now on. :):wink:

Putting the cart before the horse here, arn't we? In what circumstances would someone have to insist on being called "sir" or even "Mr"?

If it was because you went in calling him (or her) by their first name, then you are at fault.

It is, in fact, very bad manners to refer to yourself as "Mr" but, these days, if you introduce yourself by your full name - first name and surname - which is the correct thing to do, nearly everyone seems to take that as an invitation to call you by your first name, which is also bad manners.

I was interviewing a young man for a job once and was extremely impressed and had decided before the end of the interview that he was the one for the job. Then, as he left, he called me by my first name. He didn't get the job.

What do the police do now? At one time they always addressed a man as "sir" even if he was a suspect. I don't suppose they do now.

with the police i think it depends on the circumstances.

on a routine traffic stop it would probably be sir.

after a twenty mile high speed chase followed by a twenty yard run followed by a spell of wrestling on a cold wet patch of concrete i think it would be something that would not be allowed due to censorship. :oops::oops:

on the odd occasion i have been stopped riding my motor bike in the past i was usually called son. this tended to change when i took off the full face helmet to reveal a full beard. usually "oh sorry sir". :lol::?8)

i usually managed to avoid the problem of whether to say sir by just saying good morning/afternoon/evening how can i help you. works equally well for either sex and any age.

as for bad experiences i can honestly say that for the year that i was working in a shop i never really had and horrid customers. there was one that was a terror to the other staff but for some reason i never had a problem with her. she used to turn up at the shop on her mobility scooter and wait for somebody to come out and take her order. she had been rude to all of the staff at one time so as a newcomer it fell to me to deal with her. never ever had a problem even when we did not have what she wanted.

must have been my charming personality (which was probably why i started to cultivate a few more vices) :wink:

Evil, I enjoy reading your posts, as I do a lot of others on this forum. But, could you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE start using your Shift Key to produce capital letters where required. I will nervously await your reply.

Does the phrase; "Shift Key" warrant the use of capital letters Victor?

(Oh and you forgot the question mark!!)

I'm not editing any posts at the moment Victor so you are just a trouble maker... why don't you go and eat some oranges through your own letterbox monkey boy 8)

Any more nonsense from you and I will stick a load of swear words in all your posts and also change your avatar... :lol:

In my job it is usual, when talking over VHF radio to address the person being talked to as Sir (or ma'am) out of politeness. In the days of radio communication by morse code, sparkys (radio operators) used to address each other as "Old Man". I don't know, but perhaps in time "mate" may become a polite form of address. :?:?:?

The term Captain for the Master of a Merchant Ship is a courtesy only and is mostly used by people who aren't, actually, ship's Masters. I get called "Captain" by pilots, agents, harbour authority personnel and by some crew members. I wouldn't expect anybody outside of the industry to call me anything but Your Royal Highness :wink::wink::wink:

So you are a Queen then. :oops:8):?:lol:

One of the reasons that I do not tend to use the "shift key" is that I do tend to type as I think and as a result compose my posts as I go along. this means that I mostly forget the proper use of capitals and punctuation.

I suppose what i should do is finish what I am typing and then go back and proof read it before i hit the submit button.

then again it could just be that I am an idle (insert expletive of choice here) and cannot b bothered :oops::lol::twisted:

Main problem I find in stores these days is that, wearing a suit as I do for work, I am continually approached by members of the public who think I am the manager. Sign of the times I suppose!

Are you for real. ???

Life is full of chocolates, and they MELT also.

SIR Jimmy.