• By Letter
    • At their Surgery
    • Don't bother
    • Other please state

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baz, that's the difference between PC's and Cllrs. One fights for the Community and one fights for his/her own ends.

Geoff, is there anyone at top level in the council who knows how to run their department since the dismissal of the senior officers to save a few quid?

Pete I haven't as yet worked with many at the top level because as a new Councillor and an opposition councillor the opportunity hasn't often presented itself .

I have however worked with senior officers as a consequence of my committee work and ward issues. My first year has given me an insight into the constraints that some work under, given the current regime. Any successes that I have had have been down to a good working relationship with their officers whilst failures have often been down to council policy.

Hopefully I can develop these relationships as I gain more experience of the system and bring my experience to address the imbalance between senior officers and councillors in a positive and productive way. However I know its not going to be as simple as that, it never is :wink: .

another sleepless night?

could success be down to council policy too?

it really is necessary to change the "system" as it is becoming more apparent that the existing "system" is not working.

There needs to be a responsibility shift away from the council officers on to the councillors.... and thence on to local communities. This may need a few changes in attitude... still I am sure you can stirr things up.

The only way you'll get meaningfull and relevent Local Government and thus public interest, is IF their level of autonomy is increased. With 85% of their budget spending dictated by Whitehall and (planning) decisions vetoed by Gov inspectors etc - it's difficult for local folk to take it all seriously. :roll:

I prefer contacting my Councillor:

By Telephone 13% [ 2 ]

By Email 20% [ 3 ]

Face to Face 6% [ 1 ]

Using their Web Site 0% [ 0 ]

By Facebook 0% [ 0 ]

By Twitter 0% [ 0 ]

By Letter 6% [ 1 ]

At their Surgery 0% [ 0 ]

Don't bother 40% [ 6 ]

Other please state 13% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 15

Well we're upto 15 votes with 40% of WWW contributors not bothering to contact their Councillor. May be many of you don't have a need or believe that it would do any good, perhaps you are able to sort your issues out youself of may be you think that Councillors are a waste of space. :roll:

The next few weeks give you the chance to reflect on your choice for this year :shock: - do you select by personality, party or past record - now is your chance to collar them on the door step, if they call, and look the in the eye and engage in some good old fashioned face to face contact just like wahl did yesterday.