Equality Law

wolfie

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still around :D

The point as i said before is the civil partnerhsip status they have is an equivalent marriage. The B&B said their policy was for non married couples. That woudl be okay but these two were "married". I dont want to get into arguments over their marriage but thats the law and they rightly won.

If you disagree with the law thats another thing, but it has been correctly applied.

As for kids, they arent adults and therefore are excluded from certain rights by statute ie. pubs but allowed others. This again allowed to protect the children. The age of majority is 18 not 16 but again there are exceptions i.e. driving / lottery / armed forces etc.

Remember a pub is run by a liscensee and the definition of a licesne is the permission to do something. A Postman visiting your house can do so on the basis of an implied liscense and isnt a trespasser.

The bill for such advice is in the post! (typos noted but done this in a rush!)

Diz - I don't wish to go to any hotel or B&B and my kids are all grown up. I would just like someone more knowledgeable than me (which shouldn't be difficult) to explain what the difference is between an owner saying that they refuse entry to non married couples and an owner who says no kids allowed. :roll::roll::wink:

They don't refuse unmarried couples, they give them seperate rooms, the couple who have just lost their case give double rooms only heterosexual married couples. They have been well and truly shafted by the "lets pander to minority brigade"; but what this set of buffoons don't realise is that the minority is actually this couple of devoted Christians.

What a depressing downward slope this bloody country is on.

Diz - I don't wish to go to any hotel or B&B and my kids are all grown up. I would just like someone more knowledgeable than me (which shouldn't be difficult) to explain what the difference is between an owner saying that they refuse entry to non married couples and an owner who says no kids allowed. :roll::roll::wink:

Wolfie, lets look at this logically, the owner who refuses to let a room to non married couples is doing it purely on moral grounds whereas the owner who refuse to allow kids to stay just hates kids AND DOES'NT WANT HIS BLOODY HOTEL TRASHING. Simples. :wink:

The question is what catergory is the discrimination. In the case the discrimnation was direct based on their sexual orientation which is illegal.

kids can be discriminated against because they dont have the same rights and priviledges as adults end of. Hotels can have any policy providing that policy is not discriminatory against anyone based on gender, age, race or sexual orentation, but the person discriminated against must be an adult.

This is what the equality act 2010 covers:

?The basic framework of protection against direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation in services and public functions; premises; work; education; associations, and transport.

?Changing the definition of gender reassignment, by removing the requirement for medical supervision.

?Levelling up protection for people discriminated against because they are perceived to have, or are associated with someone who has, a protected characteristic, so providing new protection for people like carers.

?Clearer protection for breastfeeding mothers;

?Applying the European definition of indirect discrimination to all protected characteristics.

?Extending protection from indirect discrimination to disability.

?Introducing a new concept of ?discrimination arising from disability?, to replace protection under previous legislation lost as a result of a legal judgment.

?Applying the detriment model to victimisation protection (aligning with the approach in employment law).

?Harmonising the thresholds for the duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people.

?Extending protection from 3rd party harassment to all protected characteristics.

?Making it more difficult for disabled people to be unfairly screened out when applying for jobs, by restricting the circumstances in which employers can ask job applicants questions about disability or health.

?Allowing claims for direct gender pay discrimination where there is no actual comparator.

?Making pay secrecy clauses unenforceable.

?Extending protection in private clubs to sex, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, and gender reassignment.

?Introducing new powers for employment tribunals to make recommendations which benefit the wider workforce.

?Harmonising provisions allowing voluntary positive action.