Equality Law

wolfie

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I see it hotel, B&B, etc. management can turn anyone away as long as they are not gay, there the law appears to change very quickly, the couple that turned the two gays away had a policy of not letting rooms to any couple that were'nt married and although those two were not married they brought a successfull prosecution, now is it me or is the law biased toward the gay community. :shock::?:evil: DEFINITELY NOT :wink:

I understand the owners offered to find them a vacancy elsewhere.

Why would anyone want to stay in a hotel or guest house which clearly didn't suit their lifestyle? It would seem they only wanted to cause trouble. They expected their own way of life to be respected, but wouldn't respect the owner's beliefs and standpoint. It seems very one-sided to me.

They were part of a civil partnership which in the Eqaulity act 2010 is given the same statuus as marriage for equality purposes. hence by allowing married couples and not civil partnership couples, they were discriminating.

No children in liscensed premises is a separate issue.

If they werent in a civil partnership, cannot see how they would have won as the refusal would have been non discriminatory i.e. equal to both sexes. That was the key point.

But why not... you can get Adult only holidays.

Isn't it upto the owners wether they allow kids in or not and if they don't just go to another hotel... simples.

As for licensed premises some allow young kids in until 9pm (usually as long as you have had a meal)... whereas some allow older kids in either way and also later than that as long as they do not go near the bar area.

Diz, I agree. Hotel owners should be free to choose.

But, ............ If a hotel is open to the public and the owners choose to discriminate against members of the public ie kids, then what is the difference in discriminating against gay couples???

As for some pubs allowing kids in, what if a kid decides to sue a pub owner who refuses them entry on the basis that other pubs do and it's against his or her equality rights. :?

like already said Wolfie... gay people have more rights :wink:

I doubt many kids themselves would sue a pub owner or be sucessfull. I'm sure kids (if asked) would have far better things they'd like to be doing rather than to be sat in a pub with mum and dad :wink:

This is a very interesting case, so interesting that its the talk of the country.

On the B+B owners side, you have their house, that they live in (probably), which, of course, is their property, devout christians, I personally believe in freedom, so its their freedom to practise their religion, therefore they feel the need to refuse the couple (in a nice, diplomatic way, by recomending other places) as par their beliefs.

On the other hand you have the counple, who, through genetics and chemistry (I believe homosexuality isnt a lifestyle choice) got together, and wanted to stay in this B+B, got refused, and felt offended and upset, I believe in freedom, so its their freedom to practise homosexuality.

They are both extremely good arguments, personally I side with the B+B owners, at the end of the day if they dont want the couples business (much like landlords in pubs dont want kids business after a certain time, even if they are just on coke+lemonade) then thats up to them. Its their house and their property, and so should have a right of who to accept.