Pink Ladies Taxis

LaurenM

I think it's a great idea and I concur with those who mention the market economy as the definitive deciding factor on the success of the Pink Ladies.

Now, here is my question: Isn't there some legal objection to discrimination by sex? Haven't women been fighting male-only clubs for a long time? What is the (legal) difference in this case? Of course, the idea only works if you discriminate, assuming that most (all?) muggers are men. Could another car-for-hire service offer, for example, a "No Blacks" policy with the same argument? What about London Transport offering a no-muslim service to avoid terrorist atacks? It's easy to tear down a policy/service based on discrimination.

In the end I foresee they will be legally forced to accept everyone - male and female - and their uniqueness will be diluted away. If so, they could thrive by offering better service, but not one based on discriminating.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pink Ladies operates on a members' only basis to avoid sex discrimination laws. By and large sex discrimination laws are based on the assumption that it is normally women that are discriminated against, and here is a quote from the Act:

"The Sex Discrimination Act (SDA) is written in terms of discrimination against women but it applies equally to discrimination against men. These guidelines are written as if the discrimination applies to a woman but they should be read as also applying to a man".

The following is the applicable exception to S29 of the Sex Discrimination Act:

"services which are not covered by the SDA such as genuinely private members' clubs which operate a strict selection procedure for membership".

Originally posted by Xela Qlito:

[qb] Could another car-for-hire service offer, for example, a "No Blacks" policy with the same argument? What about London Transport offering a no-muslim service to avoid terrorist atacks?

I believe the BNP put forward the idea of a 'whites only' taxi firm as part of their minifesto in Burnley.Needless to say the idea was never heard of again once BNP Councillors were elected :wink::wink::wink:

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know what happened to the Carlisle and London branches of Pink Ladies. They both still show on the website but i believe they both stopped trading after only a few months in business as they were making unsustainable losses.

Can anyone throw any light on this and why do they still show as pink Ladies branches on the website.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Gary:

We are currently reasearching this and have some big news pending.

Interesting suff on todays news Gary.

A question however..

It states that PL has gone into administration but it's founder says 'due to a restructuring of the business' the firm now still 'continues to expand'.

How can a company go into adminstration but continue to expand at the same time?? Weird ! :o

Originally posted by pinkperson:

Does anyone know what happened to the Carlisle and London branches of Pink Ladies. They both still show on the website but i believe they both stopped trading after only a few months in business as they were making unsustainable losses.

Can anyone throw any light on this and why do they still show as pink Ladies branches on the website.

Nobody bothered to update the website, guess it also looks more impressive if you show franchises all over the country, well that is until it gets queried on a Forum such as this.

Reshuffle the pack as many times as you like but if Jacks and Kings aren?t allowed and they insist in making their own rules for the Joker they?re not going to find that many that want to join their school.

As I see it, their business plan relied too much on franchising an "idea" which was probably a bit premature. If the company had managed to prove that their core business was capable of running successfully first, then it may have been a different story.

The taxi business is quite simply a numbers game where cars generate income that must cover the variable running costs and the fixed costs of the base. Such low numbers of vehicles can't possibly generate enough income to cover the fixed costs unless people are prepared to pay a lot more for each journey.

Bill :)

Originally posted by Gary:

By restructuring! :D

When I get myself into a tricky situation with money or if I spend too much over Christmas on my cards I'll just make a new years resolution to 'Restructure' and all my debts will just go away. :D

Sounds easy! thanks :D:wink:

That would be a pity, maybe a better option would be for their solicitors to post a full statement as to the situation. These sorts of organisations can't have the best of both worlds, publicity and media coverage to help them start up then expect there to be none when things seem to be a little difficult. Sometimes a factual statement stops all of the speculation.

Its all over now - they're being sued and going into liquidisation according to some one sat in the office next door to me, they sat yelling across to me whilst reading the Guardian ( soory to swear)

Well if its true I'll miss them sooooooo much - it'll have an impact on where I go and when thats for sure :roll:

Tilly - it was actually reported on this site several days ago (we do have a news review section you know!) :o

and it isn't all over - just because a company goes into receivership doesn't mean it is the end of the road.

They will work with the receiver to try and make it viable so carry on supporting your pink ladies if that is what makes you happy.

Gary - sorry for missing your reveiw section / front page but am soooooooo busy at work dont usually have time :roll:

Any way its all wrong according to a driver yesterday when I got a lift yesterday. Its the ones in St Helens etc that have gone into receivership but the head office in Warrington is fine and dandy, apparently alot of things being said is rummour and very inaccurate.