Egging us on!

observer

I wonder if there is a way of scrambling your posts so you can't keep adding to these silly conversations :roll:

We are not buying eggs from the germans Obs... we are buying pasteurised liquid whole egg from the Netherlands who have made it with eggs from Germany. :P

The Germany eggs 'could' contain levels of dioxins that are higher than the the legal limits. These dioxins apparenly only cause health problems if they are absorbed into our bodies at high levels for long periods although they are also found in other foods too which is why you should always watch what you eat.

The Pasturised Product has only been used by the following two manufactureres in the UK

Kensey Foods, Cornwall ? a division of Samworth Brothers

Memory Lane Cakes Ltd, Cardiff ? a division of Finsbury Food Group

OK... so my FSA Alert just arrived in my inbox :oops::lol:

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2011/jan/dioxinupdate2

SHOULD WE BE TRADING IN FOOD PRODUCT ADDITIVES WITH COUNTRIES WHO'S PRODUCTION PROCEDURES ARE NOT COMPLYING TO THE RECOMMENDED STANDARDS?.

Dioxin contamination incidents.

One example is the detection of increased dioxin levels in milk in 2004 in the Netherlands, traced to a clay used in the production of the animal feed. In another incident, elevated dioxin levels were detected in animal feed in the Netherlands in 2006 and the source was identified as contaminated fat used in the production of the feed.

In 1999, high levels of dioxins were found in poultry and eggs from Belgium. Subsequently, dioxin-contaminated animal-based food (poultry, eggs, pork), were detected in several other countries. The cause was traced to animal feed contaminated with illegally disposed PCB-based waste industrial oil.

In March 1998, high levels of dioxins in milk sold in Germany were traced to citrus pulp pellets used as animal feed exported from Brazil. The investigation resulted in a ban on all citrus pulp imports to the EU from Brazil.

I don?t know what all the fuss is about, having read articles on the BBC website, listening to news reports and interviews to scientists, they have said that there is no danger to health what so ever and is just precaution, so it seems perfectly edible food is being thrown away.

There is more danger to one?s health breathing in the soap mist and odor coming from a certain soap factory in Warrington, I wouldn?t be surprised that one day when it rains, that the town will be consumed by a big soap bubble.

I don?t know what all the fuss is about, having read articles on the BBC website, listening to news reports and interviews to scientists, they have said that there is no danger to health what so ever and is just precaution, so it seems perfectly edible food is being thrown away.

There is more danger to one?s health breathing in the soap mist and odor coming from a certain soap factory in Warrington, I wouldn?t be surprised that one day when it rains, that the town will be consumed by a big soap bubble.

I do not think so Sue!'

As reported by The World Health Organization.

Background

Dioxins are environmental pollutants. They have the dubious distinction of belonging to the ?dirty dozen? - a group of dangerous chemicals known as persistent organic pollutants. Dioxins are of concern because of their highly toxic potential. Experiments have shown they affect a number of organs and systems. Once dioxins have entered the body, they endure a long time because of their chemical stability and their ability to be absorbed by fat tissue, where they are then stored in the body. Their half-life in the body is estimated to be seven to eleven years. In the environment, dioxins tend to accumulate in the food chain. The higher in the animal food chain one goes, the higher the concentration of dioxins. :roll::cry:

As you know the scientists have been saying that any toxins in the food chain are that diluted as to be undetectable and of no significant health risk, personally I believe them. You are probably more at risk of the amount of fat and salt that are in the food.

I suppose sometimes you have to do some research, then make and informed decision, right or wrong, as I am no scientist or expert not in food processes anyway, I tend to believe the ones who are.

By coincidence, there was a news report on TV last night about GM pigs in the US. Apparently, "normal" pigs can't absorb phosphates from their food, giving rise to non-eco friendly poo. SO, they've inserted some mouse DNA into a pig cell, to get a better absorbtion level - and presumably non-smelly poo. :? However, the driver for all this "man trying to play God" experimentation is global food demand. Human populations are exceeding the capacity of the planet to naturally supply sufficient food. Add to this poor harvests, extreme weather events, increasing affluence and thus meat consumption by the increasing Chinese and Indian middle class - and we'll be seeing food price inflation over here and food riots in poorer Countries (latest one in Algeria). :cry:

Interesting piece on Countryfile (BBC): seems OUR farmers have had to invest over ?400 million to comply with new EU regulations on chicken farmers. However, seems this doesn't extend to any form of verification that imported chickens or eggs have been subjected to said rules. Yet again, WE comply with Brussels dictates while the rest just thumb their noses at them - a complete joke on us. :twisted: