Cheshire Police?

observer

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as though there's apparently not enough police how can they make cuts :?

... and when you do need to report a local crime or incident you can't just pop into the local station or ring locally to report it.. you have to ring through to the central call center (Winsford?) even if you are stood in the local station :?

Oh and then when you speak to the central call centre they don't know where you mean as they aren't 'local'... (que Edward and Tubs :lol::wink: )

How about cuttimng some of the hundreds and hundreds of police vehicles they seem to have. Regardless of what time you pass Arpiley Street, the car park at the back is always crammed with vans, cars and motorbikes...... multiply that by every town and police station in Cheshire and you will see what I mean!

Secondly, make them all work longer than the current 35 years before they get their pensions.... that wouls svae a packet.

Finally, reduce the salaries of the inspectors and above. No copper should be earning in excess of ?60,000 for what they actually do..and the higher up they get, the less they seem to do

Baz, if they got rid of all the cars etc then how would they get from A to B when they are needed?

Agree that they maybe should work longer before their pensions but wouldn't that result in a lot of old and possibly unfit bobbies tackling crime?

As for high salaries.... there are many other people getting a lot more than that in other professions.. bank bosses for one spring to mind :wink:

Would imagine that the normal bobbies on the street don't get get anywhere near the 60k you mention so yes, maybe it should be cut for the ones whot sit behind desks all day but of course it wont be :wink:

Dizzy,

I'm not talking about taking ALL of the cars off them..... but just look next time you pass Arpley Street..... the car park is always full of cars and vans; regardless of what time of day or night you go by so they must have a surplus of vehicles.....

Yes they are paid a pension too soon so I would make them work until at least 60; the latter years could be done training the new boys and driving cars and stuff....

and as for the bank bosses; well yes I agree that they should be hit hard but where we are talking about council employees and coppers and hospital bosses earning more than the prime minister; that is just wrong.

The nonsense they always spout about "if we don't pay this amount they will all run off to the private secor" is just crap; no one in their right mind in the private sector would want some ex council boss running their business, I mean take warrington for example...... would you want to employ Terris who is in charge of an organisation that can't even collect bins when it is a bit slippy?

Council bosses tend to stick in councils because no bugger else will have them. Thats why they get a good pay off because once out of the councils, they would probably never work again!

Stockton Heath Police Station is the worst.

I've been attacked twice on my way home from the Parr hall on Friday nights, and gone to report it and no-one was in.

One time me and my friend (who had been quite seriously assaulted) had to wait outside whilst a bouncer called through the letter box to see if anyone was in, to then wait for a Police car to return to the station before we could make a statement and by that time the bloke had probably made his way into town and most likely caused another fight.

A police Officer starting salary is about ?23000 rising to ?36000 after 10 years.

They can only retire and receive a pension once they have reached 55 years of age which is comparable with Fire officers, teachers etc.

35 years is the number of years they need to work to receive a full pension (half pay) but they would still need to be 55 to receive it.

They get 22 days leave rising to 30 after 20 years service wherehas Police staff get 22 days rising to 30 after 10 years service.

Yeah it was a few months ago now. The Parr hall run an under 18's music night each month and a few times I've missed the last bus home and so, have had to walk. First time was on the causeway where three guys made a few jokes about the way I look and then decided to take a few swings, nothing serious. The second time I was with a friend and a tall hooded guy assaulted us on the swing bridge. My friend got quite a beating and so we went to the Police station and well, it was a waste of time really :/

We always make sure to get the bus now, because its just not worth the risk to be honest.

A police Officer starting salary is about ?23000 rising to ?36000 after 10 years.

They can get that from 18 years of age.... not bad, why no minimum wage here then?

They can only retire and receive a pension once they have reached 55 years of age which is comparable with Fire officers, teachers etc.

but is 18 years earlier than your average electrician, plumber or even bank employee

35 years is the number of years they need to work to receive a full pension (half pay) but they would still need to be 55 to receive it.

So they can retire on at least ?18,000 a year and then go and get another job for the next 10 years or so???? pretty damned good if you ask me, especially as the taxpayer is funding most of it

They get 22 days leave rising to 30 after 20 years service wherehas Police staff get 22 days rising to 30 after 10 years service.

The legal minimum is 20 days plus bank holidays with no requirement to raise it any more than that.... again a good deal even if you are a civilian; but more so if you are a copper

Blummin' heck that sounds awful Tom. Hope your friend was ok :cry:

Guess if you'd only just missed the last bus then it wasn't particularly late either.

It annoyed me when the council cut the Sunday bus service as all the kids were having to walk through town to get home from the rugby matches etc and same goes for going to the Westbrook cinema at night.... busses are very few and far between so hard for youngsters to get home sometimes if they miss one.

Saying that from what you say maybe even getting the bus isn't that safe these days either as any kids who actually live round here would have to get off in the village anyway. :shock:

Yeah it was a few months ago now. The Parr hall run an under 18's music night each month and a few times I've missed the last bus home and so, have had to walk. First time was on the causeway where three guys made a few jokes about the way I look and then decided to take a few swings, nothing serious. The second time I was with a friend and a tall hooded guy assaulted us on the swing bridge. My friend got quite a beating and so we went to the Police station and well, it was a waste of time really :/

We always make sure to get the bus now, because its just not worth the risk to be honest.

Tom,

the same has happened to me and my mates in our youth and so nothing has really changed. We got chased and battered by a gang in Manchester after we had been to see Crass.... we looked strange compared to them and they didn't like it. Thankfully we managed to kick them harder than they kicked us and they ran off!!

I have seen the way you look and tbh it is no stranger than most followers of non-mainstream music for the past 50 years!

So people just look to fight anyone they see as wierd.... my advice would be to hit the biggest first when they first approach.... always worked for us! :lol:

'Last resort' you said... but you also said 'hit the biggest first when they first approach'

So with that approach you may just hit someone who wasn't actually going to do anything to you in the first place, therefore YOU get done for assault :wink:

In 1969, Warrington borough police era, patrol; departmental and supervision we would have about 14 vehicles. The requirments; reduction in officer numbers; and size of the borough will now need more than that.

A police officer in an emergency is pretty useless over 50. they used to get office jobs but they all have virtually been civilianised.

A small saving could be made on senior officers; would love to see a lot of the departments cut - but they are needed mostly to meet government requirements. Not sure it is necessary for officers to go round in two;s in the day-time and early evening. The old bobby, albeit in different times, went round on his own, without a radio, flak jacket and spray.

What I ask myself is it coming to when police and , (today), prisons are understaffed to do what is required of them. I know small savings all addup but when I see talk of libraries and swimming baths being closed, I wonder what we are coming to.

There are billions, as apart from millions, which could be saved on the bigger spending departments, and of course a look at our foreign aid and euro net loss would bear closer scrutiny. to avoid the latter going up in particular.

That's the country sorted out; next it is Christmas TV.

Happy days

St.Heath cop shop has been closed at night for years.

As for the cars at the town shop, they belong to a pool that many departments use. Do the motorway police use it as a base as well?

They also use it as a pick-up point for vehicles that need servicing.

Not too late for you to join the police force Baz. thankless job that it is.

Another point, is that people complain about response times, and here's you wanting them on Shanks pony. :wink:

Good post Harry... and if you have any ideas about how to sort out xmas tv then you would be well worth a ?60+k pay packet :wink:

Do you really think that a lone police officer walking the streets is any deterrant at all though these days. Infact I doubt that two together are, but at least they have a bit of backup if the 'idiots' decend or they have an sudden and unexpected incident to deal with.

Probably just my perception of things Harry but I'm sure the police had a lot more respect years ago and that the drunks, thugs and youngsters weren't quite as 'bad' as they are today.

Also not as much box ticking and H&S either years ago perhaps so a bobbie could wack a trouble maker on the back of the legs withough facing possible 'claims of unfairness' or 'damages' :?

I'm sorry but you can't just tar all youngsters under one brush, and you especially can't equal us all to the drunks and thugs...

What about the Youngsters who want to be Police Officers?

Are they the ones with less respect for the Police now?

What about the Youngsters who help the Police in test purchasing and within criminal cases?

Are they equal to the drunks who attack the Police on a Friday night or the thugs who attack random people on their way home?

I'm pretty sure also, that if you look at which age group commits the most crime, you'll find it'll be adults, not youngsters.

Thanks Dizzy. A lot of what you say is true but I do think a bobby walking the street is a deterrent. Most police work is very local and not confined to main streets.

Funny thing is, we were always taught "shape; shine and shadow" - i.e walk on the outside of the footpath in the day-time where people can see you and do the opposite in the hours of darkness. Nowadays they go around in yellow jackets and to this old fogey look awful.

I would guess paperwork has increased tenfold since the borough days and threefold since the early part of the amalgamations. Virtually everything was kept within the confines of Arpley street police station and most incidents just required a note in your pocket book or a small single sheet of paper.

Indeed, happy days

I'm sorry but you can't just tar all youngsters under one brush, and you especially can't equal us all to the drunks and thugs...

Tom I WASN'T tarring youngsters under one brush, nor was I equalling you all to being drunks and thugs. Maybe you should re-read my post or brush the chip of your shoulder for a second :wink:

What about the Youngsters who want to be Police Officers?

Are they the ones with less respect for the Police now?

What about the Youngsters who help the Police in test purchasing and within criminal cases?

As per my above reply

Are they equal to the drunks who attack the Police on a Friday night or the thugs who attack random people on their way home?

As per my above reply

I'm pretty sure also, that if you look at which age group commits the most crime, you'll find it'll be adults, not youngsters.

I'm sure they probably are Tom.... but as I'm sure you well know many crimes are also carried out by youngsters too... rest as per my above reply

Why are you so defensive of your age group Tom as try as you might you can't represent every teenager, you can only represent the ones you know or the ones who take the time to support you or be involved with your groups and what you are trying to do.

There are many more who do not fit into your category of wanting something specific to do and you might find this hard to believe but I was once a teenager too and my son's still one as are all his friends so I'm well aware of nasty vs nice and the problems you all think you face :wink:

Anyway... not wanting to offend you or sound like I'm having a go at you as I'm not. But maybe don't be so quick at judging what you think I said next time :wink::lol:

And even more importantly please remember that I was partying until turned 4am this morning and had been surrounded by youngsters most of the night so I'm feeling a bit 'tetchy' :lol:

Back to the original post asking for ideas on how Cheshire Police can make the required savings.

How much do you think it would save if we didn't regularly have manned speed camera vans, each containing two police officers doing little more than supping tea, rigourously enforcing a 30mph limit which only exists because of the presence of a school - at gone 10:30pm on a Sunday night!

Cheshire Police don't get to keep the fines (but their mates, the ex-coppers who now run the speed awareness courses they offer you to avoid points on your licence, are doing very nicely indeed out of the whole scam!).

Tom, STOP being so defensive and read the posts the way they are written.

The very fact that the young are used by trading standards shows that the youth are trying to buy drink.

It has gone on since Adam was a lad. It isn't about stats, but the facts are that problems are caused by lots of people of varying ages, so just take a chill pill.

I think you will find that most are on your side, but give an adults view-point as that is what they are. And remember, we have all been there before. :D

There are currently around 2,500 full-time equivalent coppers and PCSOs in Cheshire. With a total population of just a shade over 1 million, that should work out at 1 copper for every 400 people.

1 for every single street of a decent length or small housing estate in the entire county.

I've asked this question before and never had a satisfactory reply - where are they all hiding???

According to HM chief inspector of constabulary recently, only around 10% of all coppers and PCSOs are available for frontline duties at any one time - and that includes the ones siting in camera vans taking pictures.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jul/20/one-in-ten-police-on-streets

Sounds like we could lose quite a few without noticing a difference in service levels.