Bank bonuses?

observer

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how I'd feel if I were to be told that the performance bonus I'd worked my backside off all year to qualify for - and succeeded - wasn't going to be paid

Inky, you have totally strayed off topic. No one is interested if you have worked your backside off all year or if certain council workers are working hard enough.

The post was about bank bonuses and those that are being paid to the same people who screwed the financial industry up in the first place, and which ever way you look at it they don't deserve it. :roll:

Lighten up Wolfman, inky,s only being sociable, anyhow inky Minime was a he and a 1/8" clone of Dr Evil in the Austin Powers movie 'The Spy Who ------- Me' :wink:

Is the Government doing enough to get a grip of the Banks, some of which we now own? The Irish Government have threatened their Banks with a 90% tax on any bonuses paid to staff and the cutting off of bail out money in the future. While everyone else is having to take a bite into this s**t sandwich called austerity, the very people and institutions that caused this mess, are acting as if nothing has happened. :twisted:

Threatening a 90% tax on any bonuses paid to staff sounds pretty close to witholding all bonuses to me!

Is the Government doing enough to get a grip of the Banks, some of which we now own? The Irish Government have threatened their Banks with a 90% tax on any bonuses paid to staff and the cutting off of bail out money in the future. While everyone else is having to take a bite into this s**t sandwich called austerity, the very people and institutions that caused this mess, are acting as if nothing has happened. :twisted:

Threatening a 90% tax on any bonuses paid to staff sounds pretty close to witholding all bonuses to me!

Don't fret Inky it'll never happen. At least not when the Tory party are in hock to their necks to the City.

"the Conservative party will never reform the banks and rebuild our economy because they are completely in hock to the City of London"

"They are the party of choice for rich bankers, and no wonder when their major tax policy is to give tax breaks to double millionaires. They even have plans to cut taxes for the banks and raise them for solid British manufacturing companies. They will never change Britain for the better because they are only interested in helping people at the top."

Thought it was just the big wigs who may be losing their enourmous bonuses :? Must read more and as I've only just joined in this discussion maybe I should read from page one before I comment further.

BUT if it is all employees then we/they should remember that if the government hadn't bailed the banks out with our money then many of them wouldn't even be getting a wage now never mind a bonus :roll::?

Aren't bonuses usually paid out of profits... so if the banks are now making a profit they should pay off their loaned debts and maybe bang some more interest on all our savings too before pocketing it themselves.

I just got a yearly BONUS interest payment of ?11.11p for saving some of my hard earned money :roll:

Profit related pay bonuses are a form of profit sharing. No profit, no bonus.

Performance related pay bonuses are usually based on an individuals performance against pre-defined criteria. There is a base level of performance defined which is considered to be the acceptable level reflected in their basic salary. Many factors can be included - attendence record, willingness to swap shifts or show flexibility, technical skills demonstrated, training completed, workload completed, whatever's relevent to the particular job.

The more by which an individual exceeds that base level of acceptable performance, the higher up the bonus scale they reach. Just like a salesman earning commision on sales made in excess of a sales target.

Schemes like this usually form part of an employees contractual renumeration package and - if successfully earned - can no more be legally witheld than can an employees basic salary.

Think it's called "sucking up to the Boss" Diz, and the Boss's will let them do it, then take the credit! :wink: As for any difference between the political Parties on this, apart from Vinny's rhetoric, they're all in hock to the City now. Aside from Murdoch, Canary Wharf is their first port of call to get elected. :roll:

It's not sucking up to the boss Obs.... Inky said people get paid more (bonus wise) for "good attendence record, willingness to swap shifts or show flexibility, technical skills demonstrated, training completed, workload completed"

Why ? If they are employed to do a job they should just get a wage and not get more for being good and turning up blah blah blah.

Better idea than bonuses would be to pay a slightly higher set wage and then deduct money if they don't work hard :wink:

What a load of twaddle... most of us do things like that at work anyway without the need for a carrot dangling infront of our noses :roll:

Only when self employed. It doesn't work like that. Individuals have different attitudes towards things, and it's the old percentage thingy. 90% do what they have to, 5% do what they can't get away with, and 5%will go the extra couple of miles.

The question is, is it right that the lazy 5% get the same as the hard working 55? that's one of the reasons that the bonuses are there.

Otherwise it would be like education, where everyone dumbed down and did less.

Big business is like the old Nationalised industries. Totally different from small businesses.

Anyway Diz, isn't your new camera a bonus? :wink:

PS obs knows, but he just likes to keep the plates spinning. :wink:

Twaddle again Peter :roll:

Sack the lazy buggers (as there are plenty more people willing to do their jobs)... and promote the hard working ones. Simples :D

PS dont fall into the belief that only self employed people work hard or go the extra mile as that's not the case and I've worked for small businesses, huge businesses and myself :wink:

Infact now you mention it though there are a lot of lazy tie wearing pencil pushers in big business... sack them all is what I say :D

PS my camera wasn't a bonus it was a present :P

Can that be brought into practice for all those working at the HMRC's help line telephone call centres please :cry::cry: Ohhh and the tax offices too :evil:

I'm getting really stressed out and p'd off with them now.... over 5 hours on hold in total trying (not countilg the call back wait) to get through to the online filing/payment support number and then simply told they couldn't help and suggested I GUESS my password or phone the tax office :cry::evil:

Tax office number always engaged and I have had a call back on the number for nearly 4 hours now :evil:

I wonder what bonuses they all get.... certainly not one for answering calls or dealing with queries that's for sure :roll:

Should it be this hard to pay them ?1000's of pounds in tax... maybe we'll just keep it and spend it then cry poverty :lol:

Anyway rant over and back to bank bonuses......... :oops::D

Don't go there Diz, it's happening all over nowadays - incompetance has been taken to new levels. My Dad is 93, so he asked for a flu jab at home - "well your on the list - and when we get a sufficent number on the list - the Doctor will come out and do them all". Seemingly logical, BUT if the list takes till March to fill up, he could have caught the flu and be dead by then! :roll:

Don't go there Diz, it's happening all over nowadays - incompetance has been taken to new levels. My Dad is 93, so he asked for a flu jab at home - "well your on the list - and when we get a sufficent number on the list - the Doctor will come out and do them all". Seemingly logical, BUT if the list takes till March to fill up, he could have caught the flu and be dead by then! :roll:

I'd check again Obs..... My mum is 89 and housebound now; we phoned the doctor to get her to have a flu jab and they were there the next day.

Unfortunately, the carers who come so help her a few times a day do not automatically have to have a flu jab!

Sack the lazy buggers (as there are plenty more people willing to do their jobs)... and promote the hard working ones. Simples :D

Hey Maggie, it doesn't work like that.

There are procedures to follow.

What would you promote the hard working ones to?

As for people willing to do the work, that doesn't mean they will work harder than those you have just sacked.

Are you suggesting that those who are self-employed are fiddling the system and make their money illegally?

I would have thought you made sure that your other half worked hard to keep you in the manner that you required. :wink:

Hey Maggie, it doesn't work like that.

There are procedures to follow.

What would you promote the hard working ones to?

As for people willing to do the work, that doesn't mean they will work harder than those you have just sacked.

Are you suggesting that those who are self-employed are fiddling the system and make their money illegally?

I would have thought you made sure that your other half worked hard to keep you in the manner that you required. :wink:

Call Me 'Maggie' again and I'll delete your posts or give you a slap :evil::lol:

Yep unfortunatley there are procedures to follow these days and some employees know this only to well so they sit back and await their disciplinary.. where they can then go to their 'no win no fee' tibunals and claim for unfair dismissal or 'bad' treatment :roll:

Scenario... why should an office full of people have 5 workers who work their socks of and 5 who sit back and do the minimum letting the others carry them?

Why should these 10 employees get paid the same when the hard working 5 could do the work themselves and get paid extra (based on savings made from getting rif of the lazy 5).

You ask "What would I promote them too ?" Does it have to be a specially made up title or can my promotion just be by way of a pay increase to quantify their level of input, output and commitment to work ?

At which point did I suggest that self-employed people are fiddling the system or making money illegally.... I think you will find that I didn't say that or suggest it at all Peter :roll:

PS... my other half can work as hard or as little as he likes... makes no real difference to me as I don't expect him to carry me through life.

If however he close to sit on his **** all day and let others 'carry' him in his current workplace he would lose his job almost immediately :roll: One weeks notice, no bonuses, no benefits, no special treatment, no sick pay, no holiday pay, no comeback whatsoever... just gone :wink:

Glad you agree.

It is a lot better than it used to be in the days of Red Robbo and Scargill and co.

I didn't say that you used the words of illegality. I was just asking the question, as I was thinking more of self-employed being the only employee who would have to work hard unless he/she was working the system.

When do you want me to come round for my slap? :lol: