Bin Collections

Eagle

Hello.

We do appreciate how frustrating it is to not have bins emptied before Christmas and we are doing everything we can. Check out the latest information about bin collections on our website: http://www.warrington.gov.uk/home/residents/your_community/winter_weather/bins_winter/ - we'll keep this updated throughout each day in the run-up to Christmas. As it says on there, we'll be trying to get round on main road routes today and we'll also be visiting all those people who require assistance. If you know someone who might need help, you can call our snowline on 442244 and we can check whether they're down to receive help.

We know that people see other large vehicles making their way down side roads and wonder why the bin wagons can't but as several of you have pointed out here and in comment boxes, the bin wagons are very heavy vehicles which if they lose control on ice, would spin and cause substantial damage to anything in their path and we don't want to risk causing such problems. However, the teams who would normally work on the wagons are hard at work manning the collection points, going round in smaller vehicles to assist vulnerable residents and helping elsewhere with keeping services running.

Hope this helps to explain a bit and we'll keep posting updates on our website.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem at all with having to take my waste to the collection points... I'd rather do that than have my car or wall trashed by an out of control bin waggon :shock:

However, I would just like to point out that the opening times of the drop off points ie 8am to 2.30pm mean that most people who work cannot get there. Many people are already saying that the times are not suitable.

Would it be possible to have a later time too or for the local tips to remain open for a little longer for these people ?

Part of the problem with the opening times is that the wagons and skips at the collection points have to get to landfill before that site closes, which is usually 4pm in winter. Otherwise the wagons are not emptied in time for the following day's collections and it would be unsafe to leave full and unattended vehicles overnight.

We're also conscious that during these hours of short daylight, before 8am and from about 4pm, some of the collection points are not very well lit and we need to grit around these sites.

But leave it with us and we'll see if there's any alternatives we can arrange.

IF we have a collection point like last year (for Thursday) I am wondering how the elderly and disabled are supposed to drag their bin half a mile on ice covered footpaths to the point?

NO mention of Blue bins. They are due to be emptied tomorrow.

Dizzy, NOT everyone has cricket shoes.

Why don't you do what I'm doing Peter and take your elderly neighbours rubbish for them :roll:

By the way you don't have to drag everyones bins there you just put the stuff in bin sacks.

Peter... would you like me to pick yours up on my way cos I'm going out in my car but if you don't like the thought of a girlie doing it for you.. you can borrow my cricket shoes :lol::wink:

Why don't you do what I'm doing Peter and take your elderly neighbours rubbish for them :roll:

Bit difficult with a crutch in each hand. :roll:

My point, is that all these ideas are ok for those who can drive, have computers or can skate. These people will probably be at work anyway.

Is there ANY consideration given to the rest of the ageing community?

Mind you, maybe I should keep a lookout, as our councillors might be doing it to get votes, if they can get across the canal.

Why is it "unsafe" to leave a bin wagon full of rubbish overnight?

I presume because of 'Joe' public tossing anything & everything part spent batteries household chemicals etc. into the bins that may constitute a deadly & flamable cocktail or promote spontanious combustion. : :idea::wink:

When this happened last year, we were told that lessons would be learned but a year on and it?s like Groundhog Day again. It?s ok being nice and positive with talk of offering to help the neighbours but all this does is divert attention from the root of the problem and makes the public feel guilty for not doing enough.

The problem clearly lies with the council?s risk assessment and begs the question if this is simply them taking a no risk at all policy at the expense of everyone else. The recent airport closures highlighted exactly the same thing causing the government to step in and ask serious questions about the whole of BA?s risk assessment process.

The weather conditions out there just now are far better than they were last year and yet we still have the same unsatisfactory situation. Surely the council have insurance should a wagon have an accident so are we talking the difference in insurance premiums or what?

Bill :)

So let me get this straight..... WBC want to carry on charging me an extortionate amount of money to empty my bins... then when they don't empty them, They don't want to give me a refund because they aren't collecting said bins.

No, they want me to put the contents of my dirty, smelly wheelie bin into black plastic bags, shove it in the boot of my own car (which incidentally is a car, not a bin truck and so not technically designed for the purpose of carrying rubbish - and are there any insurance implications for carrying rubbish?) and then take it to a drop off place where our hard working rubbish technicians (binmen) will take it away.......

What bleeding planet do these people live on?

Yes I will take my own rubbish; but you give me a pro-rata refund on my council tax.... otherwise, it will be here waiting for you in January.

Oh, and while I'm at it, would you like me to change the bulb in the street lamp which has been out for 4 months?

Incredible...... look at it this way Mr/Mrs WBC, if I were a contractor to the council and I were to say clean the windows of the town hall.... If I decided not to do it one month and ask Diana to come to the end of the drive of the town hall and grab a bucket of water and a ladder off one of my lads and then go and clean the windows yourself; but I still want you to pay me.... would they do that?

CONFUSED.COM

According to the update on the Front Page re collections, it says that normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

Now whilst I am pleased about this, what I don't understand is what is the difference between tomorrow and the last two days on the side roads and backs. And the fact that it is going to be -6 tonight. There has been no thaw nor gritting. Is this a reverse due to unpopular opinion? :shock:

Couldn't get on the web site to check though.

Perhaps they are worried that Dizzy is taking over collecting?

I'd love to Peter as it was really easy and even fun..... and despite what Baz said taking bag fulls of rubish in a car is not actually dirty or smelly. All ours were double bagged and on the back seat of the car as the boot was full... not a whiff to be sniffed :D

I'd like to employ the two very friendly and helpful bin men that were at the Stockton Heath collection point... what great chaps and great senses of humour... put me in a really good mood :D

Had to laugh at the bloke behind me who had his actual bins on the back of his car though... I wonder how he got them up there :shock: Would imagine he had to empty them first then refill them once they were in place :lol::lol::lol:

As for nomal collections resuming tomorrow.... now that does puzzle me as the roads are actually a lot slippier now than they were this afternoon. I think they should leave it a bit longer :?:shock:

Flippin heck... the bin men couldn't get their wagon here so 'some of us' had the choice to either keep our rubbish untill they could come or do ourselves a favour and get rid before xmas :wink:

Don't get me wrong... I would not do it every week but once in a while is no big deal.. to me anyway.

There's far more important things to worry about than rubbish :lol:

With the publicity on the Granada TV (no mention as usual on Warrington from the BBC) and comparison with other towns such as Oldham who are on a hill and still manage to get bins emptied I think they have been shamed inton resuming collections.

Only thing is I now have to get up early to put the bins out as it will be sods law if I dont they will be early for once

Well good luck to the bin men if they are out today.

I dropped my son of at work earlier and the slightly sloped side road that we got up no problem yesterday was a 'no go' area this morning.

We got 1/3 the way up sliding from side to side then started to slide back down again.... tried a second time and gave up :shock:

My little car automatically flicks int 4 wheel drive if it needs to aswell but it couldn't cope with the combination of snow, slush, ice and uneven surface.....different bits under each wheel :?

The lamposts, trees and occasional parked cars looked a very daunting prospect indeed :shock::lol:

Looks like someone finally changed their mind or had it changed for them. I think that had they pursued the same course of action as they took last year, there would have been a cry for heads to roll especially given conditions are nowhere near as bad as last year.

The problem for me was that it was such short notice and being first on their rounds, that I didn?t manage to get our bins out on time.

Bill :)