Wheres PJ and winter photos

Dizzy

PJ... where are you :cry:

I've been checking daily and expecting some lovley photos from you after all the snow and ice we had.... but nothing.

Hope you are ok and haven't had a slip or fall whilst out snapping :shock:

Algy uploaded some lovely ones by the way :D

These were the best I got... :oops:

DSC03503-1.jpg

DSC03507-1.jpg

DSC03502-1.jpg

DSC03521.jpg

It WAS her fault Algy... she makes my hands wobble honest :lol::wink:

It does take really good pictures outside in good light... just lets itself down with zoom and on max zoom it goes blurry also nog great with indoor or low light photo shots. Macro pics are naff too :cry:

I think a lot of it is is due to me not using a tripod (but who carries one of those round eh) so it's probably me rather than the camera most of the time :lol:

I carry a mini tripod around in my pocket it has three 4" legs that extend to 8" ) the tripod not my pocket) ideal for placing on a wall or such other surface, I think I payed around ?7 from Boots photographic in GSquare.

Not quite the same as I have, not sure if these legs extend though?.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Camera-Camcorder-Tripod_12871/

i have one of those for both of my cameras. very handy for self timer shots as well. one i bought from jessops ages ago the second i got from the pound shop. the daft thing is the jessops one does not extend where the other does.

you could always invest in a monopod.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Accessories/Tripods%20and%20Supports/Monopods/products/CAMLINK/CMP2%20Monopod-76297/Show.html

could double up as a walking stick.

Bloody Hell! Wingy can't see dizzy lugging bank stick's about although second thoughts you could introduce her to carp fishing she'd get some cracking sunrise/sunset shots in some unique countryside, the non fishing brigade don't understand the unspoiled beauty of the scenery & wildlife that fishermen are privileged to experience. :wink:

You'd be suprised at how much fishing gear I've had to carry in my time Algy :wink: A bank sticks a doddle :lol:

I had my own Warrington Anglers licence once and I've even caught a few carp in my time.... well I think they were actually little roach or perch but still fishies.

Barbaric sport and and it must hurt their little mouths.... not to mention the fact that they don't get to eat their maggots :cry:

The things I see when doing an overnighter really opens your eyes to what is around you. I painted this picture after being awoken by Badgers snuffling about for grubs etc. I later discovered that its set was no more than 50 yds from where I was bivvied up.

Badger.jpg

Wild flowers such as Orchids and "Jack by the Hedge" (Lords and Ladies) with their marble like leaves and bright red berries make a wonderfull composition. There is plenty of photographic material about if we take the time to look for it. My best tip for photographing wildlife is to make yourself comfortable by a gate in a field and just sit and wait. I don't know why, but animals like Foxes and Hares like to use gateways, rather than go through a gap in the hedgerow.

I used oil paint on a small Dailer board, and painted it out of a tobacco tin with five dabs of colour in it. Oil paints are great as I can cover my mistakes instantly :wink: . Useing a tobacco tin and small board was something I learned from night school many years ago. We were told to do that as a test,and go out and paint something in the shortest possible time.

I used oil paint on a small Dailer board, and painted it out of a tobacco tin with five dabs of colour in it. Oil paints are great as I can cover my mistakes instantly :wink: . Useing a tobacco tin and small board was something I learned from night school many years ago. We were told to do that as a test,and go out and paint something in the shortest possible time.

Excellent wingnut, how long did it take you to do the sketch of the badger?

I enjoy most painting styles, be they modern, abstract, traditional etc and been to more that a few galleries in my time. I often wonder how long it took the artist to finish each work of art, it is a wonderful skill to have. :wink:

Thanks Algy.

If you ever get the chance to look at a road kill, go and have a closer look at it. You will see that the black stripes on a Badgers face, are not as distinct as the ones in the painting. Their whole body takes on the colour of the earth as to where their set is, as the badger is pushing its way in and out of its set.

My own opinion on landscapes, is that the best ones are made up of no more than three or four colours at the most, greys, greens, and browns. Anything more than that and it can become a bit of a chocolate boxy type of photo/painting. That's why I like Baz's photo, it's so natural.

Take a look out of your window at the landscape now, to see what I mean.

Wow Wingnut... great painting.

I'm impressed. I tried painting in oils a few years ago and it looked like something done in a pre-school nursery 'art' lesson :oops::lol:

I used to be really good at drawing and sketching but only if I was copying another picture... could never do it from from looking at 'real' life scenes.

Not drawn for years though so have lost what little tallent I did once have :cry:

Harry.

Here is how I see one similarity between painting and photography with todays technology.

With painting, I paint what I see and leave out what I don't like. I can even add objects to a painting that were'nt there originally.

With photography.

And the use of Photoshop, I can take objects out of an original photo, or add objects if I want to throw people off the scent as to where I was.

This first photo as you can see is cluttered with buckets, bags, and other things.

P1010206.jpg