Recomendations - digital camera

Dizzy

The image sensor is the equivalent of 'film'.

An image sensor contains millions of pixels (megapixels) arranged in a matrix whose job is to catch and record light when you take a picture. Each pixel registers the brightness -- or, intensity -- of the light falling on it. By using colored filters and an array of small lenses, the image sensor is able to record color values in a small footprint.

A high resolution image sensor can capture much more variation in light than a low resolution image sensor, and can therefore reproduce an image more faithfully and realistically.

The size of an image sensor also contributes to the quality of the images captured. In general, the larger the image sensor, the less noise in the images.

Cramming ever more megapixels onto a small image sensor tends to reduce the image quality, especially introducing more noise. The sweet spot seems to be 7MP on a 1/1.8-in. image sensor.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I like the sound of... Auto with a twist :wink::D

Read that the battery life is a lot better on yours due to the fact that the zoom etc is manual and also the digital screen automatically turns off if it senses you are using the eye viewer instead. Clever.

Like the fact that you cam move the screen too if you are taking odd angled pics.

Only downside is price as to get the camera... and a bag.. and a memory card it's upto ?310 now.

So I'm ?170 over my original 'allowed' budget now :lol: Might have some explaining to do there :shock:

Wish I'd read that earlier as I wouldn't have had to ask the poor chap in Jessops so many questions :oops::lol:

Interesting info :D You can be helpfull after all then Wolfie :wink::P

Anyway armed with my list of possible cameras and questions... and also having a feel and a play with them all in the shop (they even put batteries in so I could try them all for 'real'

..... and after the extermely helpful advice from the shop re 'technicalities', quality, features etc etc plus my requirements etc etc

.... you will all be relieved to know that I have now BOUGHT A NEW CAMERA so no more 'dilly dally dizzy' :oops::lol:

Got 30 days to take it back if I change my mind again though :D:wink:

I was only kidding... I though I'd put it in the post :oops:

I got the Canon Powershot SX130 IS ?149.99 (well ?169.99 but you get ?20 cashback via the post)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78030/show.html?tduid=db03ec1799d78b3b9625b4face5e119a&url=http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78030/show.html

Very brief reasons why I chose that over the others

Panasonic Lumix FZ38... approx ?70 dearer but apparently picture quality was no better than the SX130 and the latter had more functions. Panasonics are apparently dearer simply because of the special rechargable battery.

Fujifilm Finepix S1900

I found this really awful to hold and the buttons were not positioned very well so it felt really uncomfortable to use.

Fuji HS 10

A lot bigger than I thought and obviously a lot dearer too. Based on my usual use of a camera and how I tend to take it when dog walking etc decided that as good as it was it wasn't quite right for me.

I also tried another Canon which was a higher spec and ?100 dearer than the one I got. It was VERY good for macro pics and had a much bigger zoom but the camera was tiny (one of those very slim ones approx 1.5 cm wide) and again I didn't find this one very comfortable to use. It felt like my hands were too big and that my fingers were 'intruding' :lol:

Can't remember which others I looked at as my minds gone blank again :oops:

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice :D

Bummin' frustrating though as it's sitting there on the table in it's SEALED box so I can't get it out and have a sneaky go while no-ones looking :cry: Oh well only 10 days to go eh :wink:

I have been looking at the Fufi HS10 on line. Quite fancy it.

Inky,

Is the zoom a and twist or a lever design? (if that makes sense.)

Also what memory have you got?

Will have to look at the pennies and see.

Jessops are selling a bundle with camera, bag and 4gb memory,

whilst Amazon are doing the same with 8gb memory, both the similar price of ?279 and ?279.99.

What size image sensor has it got?

Errm... I don't know :oops: Hang on a sec while I look......

IMAGE SENSOR

Type 1/2.3 type CCD

Effective Pixels Approx. 12.1M

Effective / Total Pixels Primary Colour

Is that good or bad :oops::?

Full spec and technical stuff (which I dont understand) here :-

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX130_IS/index.aspx?specs=1

What size image sensor has it got?

Errm... I don't know :oops: Hang on a sec while I look......

IMAGE SENSOR

Type 1/2.3 type CCD

Effective Pixels Approx. 12.1M

Effective / Total Pixels Primary Colour

Is that good or bad :oops::?

Full spec and technical stuff (which I dont understand) here :-

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX130_IS/index.aspx?specs=1

Diz, the image sensor is tiny. :shock:

As I said earlier less megapixels with a larger sensor is better than a tiny sensor and more megapixels.

I dont bloody understand it all :oops::lol::lol:

According the the bloke in the shop it's a cracking camera and far better than some of the other makes and more expensive ones.

Right... sod it... I'm opening the box and taking some pictures :lol:

I'm going to blame you when my other half finds out :P

I have been looking at the Fufi HS10 on line. Quite fancy it.

Inky,

Is the zoom a and twist or a lever design? (if that makes sense.)

Also what memory have you got?

Will have to look at the pennies and see.

Jessops are selling a bundle with camera, bag and 4gb memory,

whilst Amazon are doing the same with 8gb memory, both the similar price of ?279 and ?279.99.

The HS10 is a twist zoom - just like the focus ring on an old SLR.

I put in an 8Gb SD card which I already had - and came nowhere near filling it during 2 weeks of going completely snap happy!

Broke the seal on the box today :oops::lol: Haven't read the instruction book yet as it's on a sealed cd and I don't want to open that incase I do change my mind and take it back :oops: (I only usually only refer to instructions when I am stuck anyway so no worried)

A bit consfued about the zoom though as it lets me go to 12x... but then lets me carry on zooming upto 48 x. :?

Here's a few pics that I took by simply pressing the button in auto mode and the same pics taken with my old camera Sony Cybershot camera.

Old camera MACRO

DSC03601.jpg

New camera MACRO

IMG_0028.jpg

Old camera

DSC03605.jpg

old camera MAXIMUM zoom

DSC03606.jpg

new camera MAX Zoom (said 48x which I dont understand :oops: )

IMG_0035.jpg

snow flakes this morning MACRO

IMG_0005-1.jpg

like I said though I've not tried any of the other modes just pointed and clicked.

Not bad though