Recomendations - digital camera

Dizzy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old digital Kodak (4Mp) camera and I mean old. What I find surprising is that my old camera takes a lithium rechargeable battery but can also take normal AA size batteries as standby for when the rechargeable battery runs out of power. Would have thought most modern cameras would have this ability or has technology gone backwards. :o

Ian

Seems to have gone forwards in a backwards direction like you say Ian.

My old camera had a little fat lithium one but also took normal. My current has rechargable AA's but also takes normal which I tend to use. (Energiser lithium AA's last for absolutely ages :D )

Still a bit put off some of the new cameras simply because of the custom battery and recharging issue as it's inevitable that at some point you will go flat...and always at the worst possible time (especially if like me you are a happy snapper who forgets to recharge :oops: )

Dizzy, DO NOT BUT A CAMERA THAT CAN ONLY USE AA BATTERIES!

it is like giving a donkey strawberries, plus AA batteries can be very expensive, even the rechargeable AA don't have much life inthem either.

You are better off with a camera that has a lithium rechargeable battery, they last longer and are cheaper to recharge and normally takes about 1 hour to charge approx'

BUT I want one that takes both SD :lol::lol:

My Energiser batteries cost about ?4 and I get about 600 photos

Just managed to find a review which says the Lumix gets about 300 pics out of a full battery.

Not bad I suppose especially if it only takes an hour to charge but what do I do if I'm on holiday and have no mains elec :shock: Would it be safe to charge it up with a generator :shock: What if I'm out and about and go flat... I may miss the photo opportunity of the year :shock:

Or maybe I should just stop 'thinking' eh :oops::lol::lol:

Dizzy, it is always a good idea to be prepared, but may better half as a Lumix camera and can go for weeks without recharging it, you could always buy a back up lithium battery, not sure how much they cost though.

I may be teaching you how to sucks eggs here, but regarding taking 300 plus shots, that would depend on the mega pixel resolution, videos taken etc, I know for sure that on one full charge, a lot more than 300 can be taken.

Diz, the HS10 is a true SLR format - although with a non-swappable lens. The lens it has does not retract when powered off (one less thing to drain your batteries!) and has a seperate lens cap.

It's personal preference but I would ALWAYS go for a disposable batteries based camera rather than a rechargable. We took over 1100 pictures in Kenya - about 150 of them with flash - plus about 15 minutes of video, and used 2 sets of 4 AA Duracells. We also did a whole load of looking at the pictures we'd taken on the camera screen.

You can easily carry a spare set of AA's, and you can get your hands on more within 10 minutes just about anywhere in the world. You could go the spare battery route for a rechargeable camera, but it's still another charger to take on holiday, another thing to worry about whether the voltage is right for, and another travel adaptor to pack.

The 30x zoom on the HS10 is impressive, but not so big that you need a tripod when using it. This is because its basic zoom level (no zoom at all) is quite low - excellent for really close up shots of bumble bees on flowers and that sort of thing. So 30x this basic level still isn't terribly huge. That's someting you want to watch out for when comparing one zoom with another.

In terms of old 35mm film camera SLR terminology, the zoom lens on the HS10 is reckoned to be equivalent to a 24-720mm zoom.

The S1900's 18x is equivalent to about 28-420mm, so it starts higher which means it can't zoom out quite as far - which might be important to you if you like close-up work.

And the 12x on the SX130is also only starts at 28mm, being a 28-336mm zoom

By the way it's not a linear scale, by which I mean that an extra "4mm" on the bottom end is much more significant than the same extra on the top.

I know you've been doing a lot of looking online, but I'd really recommend that you have a schlep round a few camera shops and look at them properly. If you find that the weight and balance of one of the ones you're interested in doesn't suit then it's no use to you no matter what features it has. You'll never know that about an internet bought one until it arrives.

I got mine from Wildings in the Golden Square and to be honest they were as cheap as I'd seen it anywhere online.

Hiya Inky

Thanks for all the extra info. The HS10 is still on my other list to look at and it does sound really good but it's about ?100 dearer so not sure if I'll be 'allowed' one of those. I'll probably finish up buying it myself though knowing what my lot are like for pressy shopping so I could add some towards it :wink:

Wasn't going to but off the internet though, I was just getting a list of possibles then am going into Jessops or similar to have a feel etc.

Can you upload some of your picures so I can see the quality... ok so just fancied seeing some of your holiday pics really :lol::wink:

Cheers :D

Interesting pic's Dizzy,

although having dates on images really irritates, second pic is out of focus, did you use the macro function?

I have switched the date function off now just for you SD... it is annoying :lol:

Mmmm you are right the secoond one is out of focus... never noticed. No macro used as basically I was being dragged past by my giddy dog who was in one hand and my camera in the other. I just pointed and clicked... and hoped for the best :lol:

Dizzy I have checked back and although Panasonic claim you can hope for 300 shots out of a battery charge the best I managed was about 200 however I do mess about a lot and check each shot and I believe that drains the battery more than anything also I must warn you that at the moment a genuine battery for the Lumix TZ7 are expensive around ?30 to ?50. There is a good large batt life indicator that gives plenty of warning before it gives up, regarding charge time I have never timed it, I would guess 1 to 1.5hrs. I have had it since August & only charged it twice & that includes the initial charge.

Good Luck with the hunting.

Thanks for that Algy.... bit shocked at the price of an additional battery though :shock:

Just been looking at the Fuji HS10 that inky has too and looks very good but it's over ?270 in Jessops... :cry: one of it's closest rivals is the Panasonic Lumix FZ38 which ironically is the one my uncles just bought price ?210 ish.

And even more ironic is that one of the ones on my 'which magazine' best buy list is the Cannon that I started off 'thinking' I wanted before I looked into it all :lol:

I seem to be going round and round in circles... what an I like :oops::lol:

Jessops are going to love me when I go in tomorrow eh :oops:

PS Wolfie...... what's an image sensor :oops:

Jessops are going to love me when I go in tomorrow eh :oops:

I'm sure they will make allowances with you being female. :P:wink::D

Ask them the advantages of SLR's over Digital pocket cameras and then ask what are the benefits of your selected ones over each other with bumph if possible and then go away and have a think about what you want to do with the camera that you can't do now.

Dizzy, SLR's are generally brilliant camera's but a lot bulkier whereas compact's by definition are easy to place in a coat pocket or small bag. One aspect about the Lumix ZT7 is that it is fully auto with no manual function, suits me but if you are into composition it won't suit you. :wink:

Gosh so many posts since I last looked... I'll reply all at once :D

Dizzy wrote:

Jessops are going to love me when I go in tomorrow eh

I'm sure they will make allowances with you being female.

Ask them the advantages of SLR's over Digital pocket cameras and then ask what are the benefits of your selected ones over each other with bumph if possible and then go away and have a think about what you want to do with the camera that you can't do now.

Cheeky :P Allowances :shock::P Ha ha my dads coming too now so they will have 'double trouble' with the pair of us :lol:

I'm going armed with my list and asking what you said... I have no intention of coming away with loads of bumph to read though. It's hard enough as it is :lol:

Dizzy, SLR's are generally brilliant camera's but a lot bulkier whereas compact's by definition are easy to place in a coat pocket or small bag. One aspect about the Lumix ZT7 is that it is fully auto with no manual function, suits me but if you are into composition it won't suit you.

Think thats my problem Algy :oops: I want to point and shoot... but also fancy a bit of the 'clever' composition stuff too.

2 new cameras maybe :D:D:wink:

PS Wolfie...... what's an image sensor :oops:

Eh............. the most important part of a digital camera. :?:?

Well thanks ever so much for your help there Wolfie..... so glad you explained that to me :roll::lol:

...errr, two disadvantages I can think of for an SLR camera, is that you can not fit it in your pocket and if you want instant party shots without people trying to pose for ages, then an SLR is not for you, but for everthing else it is far better.

True...... but surely it doesn't take too long to turn a little wheel for focusing :wink::lol:

More questions for Inky now because of you SD.....

Inky... is there an automatic setting on yours so you can just point and shoot (apart from having to turn the focus bit).... and how long do you recon it takes you to take a picture :? : ... and are you going to upload any for me to see or what :P:lol: