silent forum members

Dizzy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that I find odd......

Why do so many people go through the trouble and process of registering on here (the forum) as a new user but never actually post anything.

Whats the point in doing that :?

It has been the case for 10 years - of the 2,500 registered members only a small minority post on a regular basis and more than half never post anything - I think some get the impulse to sign up and say something but then have second thought sbecause they think a big bad Wolf may come and bite them on the bum! :roll::lol::wink:

But what we do know is that a lot of people read the forum - including those who have the power to make a difference in this town! :roll:

I know for a fact that some of those who contribute are or have been elected members of the council, council officers, local police officers and members of the media - not just WWW :shock::wink:

We have councillors on here :shock::shock:

I know many many people read the forum etc Gary I just find it odd that people register but then keep quiet.

They must know what it's like before they register if they have been readers.

Wolves are actually lovely creatures... and as a precaution if you remove their teeth I'm sure they could make lovely pets :lol:

Perhaps they register to make a comment about one subject they have a strong opinion on and then don't feel the need to post again. Or, perhaps they post a few times and then find that the threads seem to degenerate into personal slanging matches or sidetrack into completely different topics with no relevance to the main thread!? :?:shock::lol:

Perhaps they register to make a comment about one subject they have a strong opinion on and then don't feel the need to post again. Or, perhaps they post a few times and then find that the threads seem to degenerate into personal slanging matches or sidetrack into completely different topics with no relevance to the main thread!? :?:shock::lol:

SL... I was referring to the people who register and never actually post anything. ie their post count is ZERO. You can see them by clicking the 'memberlist' near the top of the screen :wink:

There are probably various reasons for "absentee posters." Some have already been mentioned. In my case, I came on originally to comment on music but found that there were few people interested in what I call "real music" so I do not post very often now.

But there are probably people who think they can be identified, even if they use a pseudonym, and are not prepared to post for that reason. That is a great pity.

There are also probably people who do not like getting involved in slanging matches which can (and do) become quite nasty and quite personal.

There have been suggestions that some people might resent over-zealous moderators. My view is that moderating can, on occasions, be "under-zealous."

Still at least this topic has persuaded me to post!

My apologies for pointing out that it had stopped snowing.

I forgot to include the quote by Silverlady54 that I was referring to.

the threads seem to degenerate into personal slanging matches or sidetrack into completely different topics with no relevance to the main thread!

Obviously my attempt at a touch of humour has backfired, and I sincerely apologise for the hostility shown. :roll::roll:

Hiya Adam.

Gosh you've not been on here for ages I wondered where/why you had gone and now we know. You did get a bit of 'stick' from me from to time eh but you gave it back just as good :wink::lol:

I enjoyed our chats :wink:

As for people being worried about being identified. It is not possible for anyone be identified via their pseudonym or user name. I've been posting on here for years and I still have no idea who the majority people actually are despite 'talking' to them most days.

There are I few I now know but that's only because we have contacted each other privately through the forum (by private message) and GIVEN each other our real names.

Even if you do contact someone by Private message they only receive it via your screen name and it lands in your forum 'post box' and not by email so if you don't want to tell them your name you don't have to.

There is of course the 'email' option which is optional.

New users can disable this when registering or via their profile page so that others cant see their email address. If you look at your post it says 'email' at the bottom but if I click on it it tells me that you do not want to receive emails so I cant see your private email or contact you that way.

THERE IS NO WAY FOR ME TO IDENTIFY YOU OR YOUR NAME (and I am a moderator) I know you are called Adam of course... actually are you... I have no idea :lol:

However, for anyone who may want to take advantage of that in some sinister way your account can be blocked/deleted and your ip address can be retrieved in certain circumstances....

As for slanging matches.... yep there can be some but most are just people getting things off their chests as happens with forum chats from time to time but nothing is usually meant in a mallicious way. There are some great people on here and some great discussions and debates.

I've had my fair share of run-ins with people but I wouldn't change any of it as they are all a great bunch of people. Yep there are fall outs and cross words from time to time but soon forgotten about and never dwelled upon. Would be boring if everyone agreed all the time or didn't get into more heated debate from time to time eh :wink:

Hope you will stick around again now Adam... I can tell you all about the new CD's I have recently bought :lol::wink: