Warning early eve Black Ice on Roads, Pavements

Dizzy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i as seem to remember from last years debate it is better to grit the roads as it is snowing or just after. gritting before means the grit gets washed away and then has no effect on following snow.

can't get those on community service to grit pavements because of the elf and safety implications, probably against their Uman rights as well.

did see a chap gritting round the hospital grounds. he had a sort of wheelbarrow type thing that spread the grit as he pushed it around the walkways.(sort of like those seed spreaders that you can get for bowling greens and the like) might be a better option than a shovel.

did see a chap gritting round the hospital grounds. he had a sort of wheelbarrow type thing that spread the grit as he pushed it around the walkways.(sort of like those seed spreaders that you can get for bowling greens and the like) might be a better option than a shovel.

Like this Evils ? ?349 but sure you could get one cheaper or even make one

http://www.seltekwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/drop-spreader.html

infact theres loads on ebay and quite reasonably priced... we could all start our own gritting service :lol::wink:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=grit+spreader

still 3 days to go :cry::lol:

Here's a thought... WHY don't local Parish Councils buy a hand pushed gritter out of their funding so that dangerous pavements in their own parishes can be treated and cleared where necessary.

I'm obviously not suggesting that they do it themselves as a little bit of hard work would be too much for some of them :lol::wink: but I'm sure residents would be more than willing to borrow it to do their own areas or anywhere else that desperately needs doing :wink:

Don't care which 'side' they are on as that's irrelevant.... just as I don't care that thinking amongst the peasants is banned :lol::wink:

If a position ever arises maybe they could co-opt me on board... or maybe not eh as I dont think they would like my approach :lol::lol::lol::wink:

Hate to be a killjoy folks, when i worked on maintenance at the M/Cstr. Airport Hilton we bought one to do our carparks & internal road etc, waste of money, any snow on the ground or rutting & the wheels refused to rotate also whereas hand gritting only required one man with a barrow and shovel this machine needed two men one to push it and the second to push the barrow with grit fo replenish it, consequently it found it's way very quickly into the compactor. :cry::wink:

Don't care which 'side' they are on as that's irrelevant.... just as I don't care that thinking amongst the peasants is banned :lol::wink:

Makes a big difference as they have their own agendas.

They can't even agree to work with the peasants on the South Neighbour Management Board, so apart from tantrums and eye scratching, don't build your hopes up. :wink:

:D:D

I couldn't draw a picture so I did a short sing along.... for added effect click the link and have the music playing in the background :lol::lol:

To the tune of 'Oh Little Town of Bethlehem... after 3

O little town of Warrington

How still we see thee lie

Ungritted deep and icy streets

More grit they just wont buy

Yet in the dark streets shineth

more useless traffic lights?

with wasted cash throughout the year

how do they sleep at night ?

The gritters out in force again

but told which way to go

While mortals sleep, they ?do their best?

Their clear the town of snow

?Stick to the routes don?t grit elsewhere?

Proclaims the councils boss

?Use sparingly and do not waste...

We can?t afford the cost"

O gritter men of Warrington

Descend on us, we pray

Cast out your grit and enter in

more icy streets today

The pavements are a danger zone

Good grief, I slipped and fell

O come to us, and clear our way

and glad tidings we will tell

Ok so my lyric skills are a bit naff :lol:

:D:wink: Sensible head back on for a second.....

WBC's grit orders according to the Tax Payers' Alliance

Did you know that for last year ie 2009/10

WBC ordered 2,285 tonnes of grit from the 'Salt Union'

They did not order any more by way of 'emergency' supplies

And for this year 2010/11

WBC ordered 1,100 tonnes of grit in July from the 'Salt Union'

That is HALF the amount of last years order... and they ran out last year :shock:

Well must admit the weather forcasts are a waste of time..

Mid week it said it would be getting warmer from today ie temperatures of '0' tonight and not bad tomorrow.

Seems to have gone very cold again so just checked again and it now says -11 tonight and not getting above -6 tomorrow with freezing FOG :shock::roll:

It seems that Mother Nature is changing her mind again at the drop of a hat with no warning ... like women do (before anyone else says it :lol:)

Hope Santa, Rudolph and team are ok on all the icy rooftops tonight :cry::wink: