Warrington's Pride of Place

Gary

Its only a bit of fun anyway so that is why 5 have voted for the skittles. I thought about it but then went with the winner. I must say what about the museum and library? The place which holds just about all the town history, run by a dedicated underpaid bunch of proffessionals.

[ 25.10.2007, 00:10: Message edited by: little fella ]

I'm not ashamed to say that I voted for the skittles.

Originally posted by kate:

I'm surprised Lymm Dam isn't there. It's far better known and visited than the Slitting Mill.

Ah, but hasn't the Slitting Mill recently got a fair amount of publicity whilst various Lymm councillors stand next to it? Councillors who are on the executive board of the council?

People get used to things and therefore don't see them.

Are you honestly saying that every time you go to town that you look at the skittles and say "They're lovely"?

The whole of the town centre somehow escaped the eagle eye of Health and Safety, and yet people think they are nice. :roll:

Peter

Lovely perhaps isn't the word I'd use buy yes I think the whole town centre is very attractive these days. Ok the steps that creep up you are a bit dodgey from a health and safety perspective but they really do look quite modern.

In any case, remember that heavy chain link fencing that used to surround Market Gate? Well my old mate didn't see that either, tripped over it and knocked half his teeth out. Ha Ha nothing changes!

Bill :)

Originally posted by Peter:

Are you honestly saying that every time you go to town that you look at the skittles and say "They're lovely"? :roll:

It appears that nearly 40% of those who voted seem to think so :confused: :confused:

[ 02.11.2007, 15:09: Message edited by: Robbo ]

Perhaps we should organise a day out to the skittles - 38 per cent in favour of them - possibly the same ones who voted that Warrington Wolves will come bottom of the league.

Some posters are certainly tongue in cheek and wind up merchants :crazy:

Well as a visitor to your fair town, I chose the Golden Gates, because they along with the estate, are beautiful. :wink:

The skittles are ok - but I much prefer the Alice in Wonderland theme table in concrete over the skittles in the town square. :bounce:

How can anyone vote for the skittles, they bear no relation to the history of our town and are not even locally designed. We are a very ancient town with strong connections to the Romans and something depicting that tie would have been more appropriate as would ties to the old industries that helped to make our town what it is today. The Barley Mow has survived.......where lots of other historic buildings have perished thanks to our various Town Councils letting them crumble to dust....... long may it remain. :)

[ 04.11.2007, 17:05: Message edited by: bumble ]

I had to think about this, in particular the question of what makes a town stand out from others.

Blackpool has its Tower, Chester has its Roman Wall even Widnes has its bridge.

If towns across England were allowed 1 photograph with which to make people recognise what or where they viewing then I think Warrington would be remembered for its Skittles. Good or bad they are unique.