bit nippy out.

Evil Sid

well been out today and it is definitely getting a bit on the chilly side.

canal at sankey valley has geese wandering up and down looking for the water. ice on wildlife area pond is probably thick enough to drive on and there is even short stretches of the ship canal with ice on.

so far we have been lucky with the snow but as i type this Mrs Sid has told me to look out the window and yes there is a few flakes drifting out of the sky. perhaps this year we will escape with just a light dusting of snow.

oh well time to finish the coffee off and drag the dog round sankey valley for half an hour, then with any luck i can sit for an hour or so and see if my feet recover some more feeling (other than pain that is) :?

I've just looked ooy and noticed that Spittle Brook is frozen over and I don't ever remember seeing it frozen even during the very cold weather of last year. We're all sitting freezing in the office because the heatings struggling to re-heat the building after the weekend and to make things worse, all the pipes are frozen so we've got no water :cry:

Bill :)

You think this is cold. When I were a lad...... I cannot remember when it was as cold as this so early. Usually say when the really harsh weather starts that is not long before the snowdrops wilk be out.

God bless all the people such as newspaper lads and posties. Think those youngsters who are willing to suffer to earn a premature crust deserve the highest praise.

Happy days

Manchester Ship Canal was frozen this morning :shock:

Our ouside taps solid (ooops we thought it was turned off) and I wont mention our caravan :oops::oops:

Usual idiots dribing along with little peepholes scraped in their windscreens this morning too :evil::evil::roll::roll:

Dog slipped on a patch of pavement ice this morning and she's got 4 legs... :shock: Rather funny to see as she just stood still refused to walk and stared at me with wide eyes as if to say 'what the heck was that then?'

Other than that the icy air is rather refreshing and wakes you up :lol:

It's just started snowing again :shock:

I loved the snow and have done since being little.. this time last year I was jumping up and down with excitement at the sight of a snow flake but this morning I looked out of the window and said 'damn' (well sort of :oops::wink: )

We had so much last year and with the 'local inability' to cope and disruption on the roads etc the the novelty has clearly worn off for me :cry:

Must snap myself out of it...

Dropped the childlike creature off at work early this morning and it was rather icy under the snow. Nice weather for working outdoors apparently :lol:

Dog refused to get out of the car and had to be forcibly removed :lol: and now she's sitting on the chair gazing out of the window with a certain look of doom on her face, wonder if she fancies going out for a 'slide' :lol::lol:

Outside taps finally thawed out though... got some lovely big icicles running down the wall now :shock::oops:

No, life continues as normal, I worked in Eastern Finland one winter in a place called Joutseno near Lappeenranta on the border with Russia, the people there know exactly what their winter is going to throw at them and are well prepared but remember they have never known any different, it is mandatory that in November they change ALL vehicle wheels to ones with studded tyres as once it starts to freeze it will not thaw until late spring it's rare for their airports to close and trains always run, if someone failed to turn up for work due to the bad weather I'm pretty sure they would be dismissed, however that is how it has always been unlike here where generally speaking our winters are unpredictable. This picture is from one of the Finnish Road Transport Weather webcams a network of webcams that allow the public to monitor road weather conditions throughout Finland giving air & road temperatures, their winter is just starting, this place is in the far North West of Finland, Kilpisjarvi at 0925hrs this morning the temperature at the moment is about the same as Warrington however last week it was -35C and will certainly top -40C before long.

ScreenShot001-1.jpg

That would make a cracking rally stage!!

I heard today that they had a major snow fall in Texas; the first for nearly 100 years, and they managed to grit and clear the roads and get back to normal a lot quicker than we ever would!

We're playing at it; in Siberia really cold, is when it falls below -50oC, cos that's when metals start to become brittle apparently; believe the record is -72oC. :shock:

The lowest temperature ever recorded at the surface of the Earth was −89.2 ?C (−128.6 ?F; 184 K) at the Russian Vostok Station in Antarctica July 21, 1983

All we're hearing from those with responsibility is, "this is an exceptional event and the British climate isn't as predictable as Siberia etc". OK then, so if the probability of war is extremely rare, do we cease to maintain an Army? If fires/accidents/crime become rare or "exceptional" events, do we stand down the Fire and Police Services? In GW theory, we're supposed to be getting warmer and wetter Winters - so much for GW theory. The fact is, that we are overly reliant on mobility, and if we wish to maintain such levels of mobility, it will cost us money. :roll:

The problem is that or "leaders" are spending OUR money on the THEORY of climate change instead of on reality. Why are we even discussing what should be obvious to even the most bird brained? Mind you they do say that most politicians are so dense that they can bend light :roll::roll::roll: