Speed Humps in Warrington

xyz

Most days, I have to negotiate speed humps as I travel across the town and it got me thinking about where they are around Warrington. So I got a map and I marked on it in red all those I could think of. I'm sure I've missed some.

See the map:-

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/xyzxyz1/speedhumps/map1-1.jpg

Notice the concentration in the north-east of town with few in the west and east and practically zero south of the ship canal.

Why is that?

Why does the NE have so many and the south have such a raw deal?

What is there in the NE that isn't in the rest of Warrington?

1. Dangerous roads? A recent article in the local press named high risk roads as Manchester Road, Kingsway, Marsh House Lane, Lovely Lane, London Road. Could be, but that doesn't explain why speed humps are in Fearnhead, Poplars, Penketh, but not Woolston, Stockton Heath, Appleton.

2. Narrow roads/narrow pavements? Not in Poplars and no more in NE than other areas.

3. Schools? All over town. The only place speed humps appear in south Warrington (Bridge Ln).

4. Housing estates? All over town but speed humps are not. No humps in Callands/Old Hall, old south Warrington or Cobbs/Dudlow's Green etc.

5. Rat-runs? South Warrington and Penketh/Sankey are full of them, but hardly any speed humps.

6. Proposed expressway? Applicable to NE, Callands and Latchford/Grappenhall. Could the humps persuade local people that a main road through their houses and park might not be so bad after all? But, what about the proposed route through Latchford and Grappenhall? Both routes were hit on the head weren't they?

What do you think?

Why so many in the north-east?

Why almost none south of the ship canal?

Maybe, if the rest of town still had cobblestones like Grappenhall, they wouldn't need speed humps either? :wink:

Originally posted by xyz:

Why does the NE have so many and the south have such a raw deal?

Surely you mean why does the South get such a GOOD deal?

:confused:

4. Housing estates? All over town but speed humps are not. No humps in Callands/Old Hall, old south Warrington or Cobbs/Dudlow's Green etc.

Callands has a series of humps right along Callands Road (pretty sure Old Hall has too?), which have kncoked thousands of miles off both my last three sets of front tyres with their gradual degredation of my tracking.

:x

6. Proposed expressway? Applicable to NE, Callands and Latchford/Grappenhall. Could the humps persuade local people that a main road through their houses and park might not be so bad after all? But, what about the proposed route through Latchford and Grappenhall? Both routes were hit on the head weren't they?

An expressway with speed humps - now there's a unique idea that the ex-director of traffic planning would have approved of!

:biggrinbounce:

Anyway, there is no need or want of that expressway through Callands. What is required is for the bottleneck at Tesco to be sorted. There should be dualling all the way to Cockhedge.

Originally posted by paul maher:

why do people hide behind the name observer if you have something to say put your name to it if you feel that stong about it.

:confused:

Anyway, why are you picking on Observer? It's very unusual for anyone to use their real names on internet forums, why is that an issue?

So, back to speedbumps.......

[ 12.03.2008, 00:08: Message edited by: Peter ]

The speed tables now in Fearnhead Lane, Myddleton Lane, Hilden Road are now all dangerous and exceed the 75mm max projection due to either wear on the tables or wear on the road. I have said it before I will say it again - If my car gets damaged I will sue the council for damage. This has cropped up before and there is only the town hall thinks these things work

Originally posted by paul maher:

[

Would that be Councellor Maher?

Was that a post on how to "win friends and influence people"?

Both Bill and observer have been members of this Forum for a very long time, and other posters don't have a problem with their names. It's the quality of the posts that count.

[ 12.03.2008, 00:04: Message edited by: Peter ]

Originally posted by observer:

Sadly in life, many are incapable of playing the ball, thus they try to play the man. :wink:

It would seem that a few at the Town Hall are getting twitchy over the natives asking questions.

It seems that a "closed shop" mentality has developed and things only get out on "a need to know basis" rather than a sharing of knowledge. :roll:

Speed bumps are causing rapid wear and tear on car vehicle suspensions. I am aware that Warrington Community Transport are incurring a substantial increase in repair costs to their mini buses due to speed bumps...somebody was also telling me that emergency vehicle response times are also rising due to speed humps. Mind you if motorists kept to the speed limits we wouldn't need speed humps in order to control their speed.

I was on Walton Road last night...a police car set off the 30mph sign so the driver exceeded 32mph...probably by quite a bit....and it wasn't an emergency.

Unlooked for consequences of speed humps include:

1. increase in noise from traffic

2. increase in emissions (due to slow down / speed up motion)

3. increased wear and tear on vehicles

Of course, vertical deflection measures are falling out of favour these days, but not apparently in Warrington - a town proud to be firmly behind the times when it comes to traffic engineering :roll:

Funny how our councillors never come on here anymore isn't it?

Probably because they have no respect for those of us who bother to vote for them and see it as beneath them to answer questions until its time for re-election.

The whole bunch of them should be ditched and we should start again with non-political candidates who want to do what is right for the town rather than feather their own nests and toe the party line