Trains or Cattle Trucks!

Sue Durnim

If proof was needed.

That the people who run the railways treat the customers with utter contempt, saying that over crowding is not a safety issue on trains.

People packed liked sardines in cattle trucks, people fainting, standing for hours, missing their stops etc, etc and with the insult of paying extortionate fares and no sign of it getting any better but worse!

For years now the government have been trying to get people out of their cars to use alternative transport e.g. trains, I say ?No chance!?, I sticking to my car, you can stuff the railways, they only seem to care how much the shareholders are getting and how much profit they can make! Where is the good old fashioned value for money ethic! :x

Unfortunately, that's as good as trains are ever going to get - and they still need a MASSIVE subsidy from motoring taxes each year just to muddle along with overcrowding and extortionate fares.

Railways are a 19th century form of transport, ok for non-urgent bulk cargo - but then, so are canals. Passenger rail is polluting, labour intensive, wasteful of space and of resources. Rip up the rails and tarmac the track beds and we could have a high speed road system fit for the 21st century and beyond.

inky pete, I agree with you.

The UK pretends to be a highly developed and progressive country, however it lets its citizens down by providing a third rate travel system that use to be the envy of the world, but now is a laughing stock, trailing way behind countries such as Germany, France.

Now that Germany have the go a ahead to put trains through the Euro Tunnel, passengers will see how far behind we are in the investment stakes into providing quality and reliable trains and traveling in comfort in decent carriages and to be treated like customers and not herds of cattle!

I can't really comment as I've not been on a train for about 13 years... last one was to Llandudno of all places and it was enough to put me off. Uncomfortable, noisy, grubby and very slooooow to get there with all the stops at every station.

Sounds like train travel is no better now than it was then :?

So much like the naff bus service and my reasons for not using that ...I will continue to travel by car or just not bother going further afield :?

I have to admit that I like travelling by train. The Virgin service to London is brilliant as it now takes less than 2 hours (if you get the express service) to get to London which is about 2 hours less than it takes to drive.

I went to London the other Saturday; left Warrington at about 06:30 and was back home before 3 in the afternoon after a meeting over in the East End.... If I was driving it would have been 7 or 8 at night by the time I got back.

I must admit to not having much experience of other routes apart from the Glasgow service, but the Pendolino trains are really good. Lots of space, free wi-fi and it is always nice where the train runs alongside the M1; to watch the quese of traffic as you drink a nice cup of coffee!!

Railways are a 19th century form of transport,

If you have ever been to Tokyo you would realise how stupid that statement is.

I have been to Tokyo. I saw massive overcrowding in rush hours and know that the Japanese taxpayer bails out their railways to a far greater extent than ours do.

The French TGVs are like stepping into the future, very fast and fairly economical and double decker so a great view if you are upstairs.

The French also subsidise their trains far more than us - and have lots more space to run straight rail lines through.

The Virgin service to London is brilliant as it now takes less than 2 hours (if you get the express service) to get to London which is about 2 hours less than it takes to drive.

That's true. Trains move quickly from point to point. But that only leads to a quick overall journeys so long as your start point and destination, and time of travel, both happen to coincide with that of the train. As soon as you need to travel at a specific time, or to anywhere in the country that's not a high speed rail terminus, or carry anything with you to do your job when you get there, your journey will almost certainly be quicker, cheaper and easier by car.

Alll services through Warrington are overcrowded. Until recently travlled from Warrington to Manchester daily. So bad with costs and over crowding, i now drive to Newton and park up there. Still bad but better and shorter journey. Recommend it to anyone in North Warrington.

Used Cross Country and Virgin at the weekend and both full. Reading and back was ?130. Only went as firm was paying, other wise I'd have driven. Pretty much standing room only all the way to Birmingham (2 hours!) although i had a reserved seat.

They desperatley need more carriages but want the tax payer to fund it. However as tax payer wont put limits on trains and allow refunds if you dont get on, then there is no incentive.

Alll services through Warrington are overcrowded. Until recently travlled from Warrington to Manchester daily. So bad with costs and over crowding, i now drive to Newton and park up there. Still bad but better and shorter journey. Recommend it to anyone in North Warrington.

Used Cross Country and Virgin at the weekend and both full. Reading and back was ?130. Only went as firm was paying, other wise I'd have driven. Pretty much standing room only all the way to Birmingham (2 hours!) although i had a reserved seat.

They desperatley need more carriages but want the tax payer to fund it. However as tax payer wont put limits on trains and allow refunds if you dont get on, then there is no incentive.

This evidence is as good as it gets, I rest my case, my Lord!

from the sound of it it is worse than the german transportation of prisoners of war. a book written by my wifes uncle about his time spent as a prisoner of war is entitled forty men eight horses.

it refers to the cattle trucks that were used to transport them to the prisoner of war camps. they ha a stencil on the side that read forty men or eight horse indicating the capacity.