Sat Nav guide theives to your empty home !

Dizzy

Never though about this :o but....

apparently thieves are stealing car's satellite navigation systems so that they can use them to target people's homes in burglaries.

They break into vehicles parked in public places to take sat navs then follow the directions to 'home' which most people store on them.

They are then able to make their second 'hit' on the victim - and burgle the property knowing the occupant is likely to be out or on holiday.

Police are urging motorists to wipe their personal details from their Sat Navs or risk having their homes ransacked.

Rather than to store your own address as 'home' they say to store it as a persons name instead.

I've heard this before, however I think it may be more urban myth than true, unless your realy rich and your the only house within miles, when my tomtom tells me I'm home, I could be one of about 10 houses.

and if its a worry, set your home to somewhere close to home as most people know their area well enough to find their house from a mile away.

Thanks Legion.. you've put my mind at rest :D (I think)..

Do all sat navs work on post codes rather than actual house numbers and roads? I must admit I've only used one once and I didn't set it up. I just pressed the 'home' button... and got lost :o

Dismayed.

It depends on the satnav but the vast majority will work off address including house number and or the postcode.

I don't have my home address on my satnav but I do have an address very close i.e Asda Westbrook.

Kate the reason most have a home or a point near home is in the case of detour for example of the motorway becomes snarled up and you have to go cross country by having a home address means the satnav will guide you there.

John

[ 14.04.2008, 16:08: Message edited by: JayC ]

Originally posted by kate:

Why does anyone need to have directions to Home? Is it too difficult to remember the way you came and do the journey in reverse? It's what I've been doing for the last 40 years. :wink:

actualy thats one of the best features, especialy when you are in a unfamiliar city, you've done what you need to do and just want the quickest route back to familiar teritory.

Originally posted by Stephen Taylor:

My SATNAV has a pin number before anyone can use it, I presumed they all did... :thinker:

I wish they did i have a tomtom and that doesnt have the option of a pin.

As for them going and doing the house well good luck to them Spike is ready and waiting for them! i am sure he will enjoy licking them to death...

Steve

Surely the point is that you shouldn't need the satnav to tell you how to get all the way to your front door. If you can't get from the nearest motorway junction to your own house without assistance then I would suggest you shouldn't really be driving! :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Originally posted by asperity:

Surely the point is that you shouldn't need the satnav to tell you how to get all the way to your front door. If you can't get from the nearest motorway junction to your own house without assistance then I would suggest you shouldn't really be driving! :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Have you been around Liverpool City Centre recently? Coming out is never the same as going in, especially with the one-way systems and alterations.