Warburton Toll Bridge

Cabriolet

Who owns the toll bridge is it the Manchester Ship Canal Company?

If it is the MSSC how come they still charge a toll as wasn't it origionally charged for the old stone bridge but now the money goes towards that and the new bridge and the road maintenance.

None of the other bridges have tolls on them so why should this one be any different.

Sorry if it's a daft question but I've only ever been over it a handfull of times :oops:

:? its owned by the Peel Group, also owners of the Trafford Centre and the ship canal .... because a tiny stream trickles under the stone bridge an ancient law still exists allowing a charge to be made. I remember a story from many years ago where a private ambulance used to come over the bridge, lights flashing and still have to stop to pay ?? well one night the private ambulance was coming over the bridge at 2am, and the toll booth was unmanned ... the driver simply stopped the ambulance, got out and went banging on the door of the toll keeper demanding that he get out of bed, get dressed and man the toll booth so as he could pay his money !!!!!! lol .... fair to say that since that day all ambulances have free passage over the bridge ... :shock:

I just don't understand why they are allowed to create such traffic mayhem!! Last week it took me an hour and a quarter to get to the toll bridge from Warrington. Silly me thought there was a problem on the way to Manchester but the delays were simply due to the toll bridge :evil::evil:

Something needs to be done!!

:lol::lol:

Ancient laws mean nothing these days Indy and as presumably no-one else is involved other than Peels I don't know why they don't they just scrap the toll alltogether?

Dates from the Rixton and Warburton Acts of 1863 and 1867 apparently :?

Couple of thousands, maybe as many as many as ten thousand, of cars a day and all those 12p's soon add up!

Peel are hardly known for their charitable stance when asked to give away anything they can get away with charging for!

I agree that the police or highway agency should have the power to demand the barriers opened whenever the tailbacks become excessive enough to impact the flow of traffic on other roads - as they always do whenever incidents on the motorways force large numbers of people to divert that way.

:shock: What :shock: ...you are telling me that upto 10,000 cars a day can go over it :shock:

Right at this point we need RodK...

Think of all the pollution that must be caused with all those cars having to queue up, stop, pay their 12p then set off again at speed once they eventually get through the barriers :shock::lol::wink:

Exactly!! This morning the old dear in the booth was oblivious to the queue over the bridge and was happily chatting to all her mates as they passed by, making us all queue up for even longer! :evil::evil::evil:

What a waste of fuel and time!!

Getting home is just as bad, I pity all the folks who live in Warburton and have these queues outside their homes every night!!! Tonight it took about 30 minutes to travel half a mile!!

:shock: What :shock: ...you are telling me that upto 10,000 cars a day can go over it :shock:

A car every 5 seconds or so at peak times, 12 per minute, 720 per hour - in each direction - 1440 per hour. Could easily reach 10,000 in a full day.

Over a grand a day in tolls with just two wages to pay, no wonder Peel won't give it away!

Those that use it daily are happy to pay for the convenient short cut and accept the odd delay. It is the occasional users who do the whingeing.

I do hope you're not implying that I'm a whingeing occasional user!!! I use the bridge every day and am quite happy to pay the toll. What I am not happy about is paying for the privilege to be delayed by at least half an hour!!

Maybe they should waive the toll if you are kept waiting :D Now there's an idea :P:P

The toll bridge is a business and the bridge is an asset to its owners and that asset generates revenue.

Delays are not their concern; only maximising the revenue, that is what business is all about. That's why the M6 Toll Motorway keeps upping its fees because people will always pay the price