Consultation events in Dallam and Bewsey

STiW

Your Neighbourhood, Your Say!

Arena Housing and John McCall Architects are working with Warrington Borough Council, Stronger Together In Warrington and The Church of England, to find out what local residents think about their existing community facilities and their neighbourhood.

We would like to establish whether the community facilities could be improved, either through adaption or re-development to meet the long-term aspirations of the residents.

Have your say!!

To find our your views we will be holding a number of consultation events, where you can come and have your say.

These will be held at a number of local venues across Bewsey & Dallam at the end of April.

Come to an event and see the maps and display boards and discuss your views with various members of the team.

1. Community House

Harrison Square

Tuesday 22nd April, 9am-1pm

2. Bewsey Park Pavilion

Troutbeck Avenue

Thursday 24th April, 12noon-4pm

3. Longshaw Street Community Centre

Friday 25th April, 5pm-8pm

4. St Marks Church

Longshaw Street

Saturday 26th April, 10am-3pm

Everyone completing a questionnaire will be entered into a prize draw with 2 prizes, ?25 of vouchers, one for people over 18 and one for children and young people who take part.

Sounds like it's for everyone but a pity the meetings aren't a bit more central though.

I especially like the bit that says

.....working with Warrington Borough Council, Stronger Together In Warrington and The Church of England, to find out what local residents think about their existing community facilities and their neighbourhood.

We would like to establish whether the community facilities could be improved, either through adaption or re-development to meet the long-term aspirations of the residents....Have your say!! .

Sounds like a positive step forward (but then again it is election time I suppose) here's hoping though :D

Have to laugh though at the entry for one of the Board Members:

Cllr Liz Smith, Community Champion and Warrington Borough Council Executive Board Member

All rather self indulgent I would suggest, given others put:

Cllr Pat Wright, Ward Member for Bewsey, Dallam and Whitecross

Cllr Colin Oliver, Ward Member for Poulton North

:wink:

True, but "Community Champion", what does that mean and where is the evidence. Worth noting that as an Executive, Councillors have an "allowance" of about ?15,000.

PS I'm always intrigued by organisations who encourage volunteering and the ones doing the encouraging are paid. :wink:

[ 16.04.2008, 08:37: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

In answer to Obs question, 'we' are the group running the consultation, who are listed on the first thread of this post.

I can assure you that NO decisions have been made on any of the issues we are consulting on, there is money already available for some new or upgraded facilities, however it is up to the local people how we speand and generate money in this project.

Originally posted by observer:

Nothing wrong in consulting, providing you have the money to fund the awakened aspirations. :wink:

But isn't it also the case, that if you don't know what the public want, you end up with things like the skittles, and therefore, consult and find the funding when you know what is wanted.

Originally posted by Stronger Together in Warrington:

These events are open to anybody, yes.

However they are focussing on community facilities in the Bewsey & Dallam areas, so it's people who live in these areas we are really keen to meet at our consultation events.

That's a shame as from your name 'Stronger Together in Warrington' I presumed you meant Warrington as a whole :(

Maybe it will catch on in other areas too though and I do hope you are successful in your work. Good luck :spin:

I recall one Councillor, some time ago, who basically wrote the new Council Constitution, which included a "Policy Cttee", with the sole objective of exercising a permanent and ongoing consultation with "the people" in order to ensure a symmetry between public aspiration and political policy. :roll: It also requires Politicians with the IQ, to see beyond themselves and the interests of their political party. :roll:

Good post obs. :D

Dismayed,

The Stronger Together only covers the statistically deprived areas of the Inner Wards, and will NOT include the other areas of the Inner Wards.

It's a crazy idea, because all areas need improving and help, albeit some more than others, and in my opinion, we should all have the same access to the facilities available from this team, or at least a small slice of the expertise and possibly funding.

IMO, raising the level of part and not the whole, means that the parts not touched go down as the others are brought up, if that makes sense.

I'd better stop, as it is a subject that I am very annoyed about.

A bit like exclusion by post code. :x:x:x