What is it & is it worth saving?

algy

Anyone any ideas on what this cast iron post may have been for it has the logo CCC cast in it and as Cheshire County Council was formed in 1889 it may be between80 to 100+ years old, is it worth saving or not?

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/artifact/005.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/artifact/002.jpg

Part of an old victorian sewer pip vent maybe? Is it hollow and have you stuck a stick down it or sniffes it :lol:

or perhaps the base of a victorian lamp post ?

Would imagine it must go down quite a way or the council would have removed it by now as they don't like old things :wink:

Is it definatley iron ?

Dizzy you really will have to cease this unhealthy preoccupation with sewer pipe vents remember the water tower!

since I raised the topic I had a flash of inspiration, remember the old warrington photos that I had on photobucket there is one of the old dog & dart crossroads and looking at it it looks as if it is the top mid-section of the signpost and you would be correct in saying it is buried deep in the ground, theres even a lump on it where the CCC crest is and yes it is definetely cast iron.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/artifact/DogDartCrossRoadssignpost.jpg

Dizzy you really will have to cease this unhealthy preoccupation with sewer pipe vents remember the water tower!

since I raised the topic I had a flash of inspiration, remember the old warrington photos that I had on photobucket there is one of the old dog & dart crossroads and looking at it it looks as if it is the top mid-section of the signpost and you would be correct in saying it is buried deep in the ground, theres even a lump on it where the CCC crest is and yes it is definetely cast iron.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/artifact/DogDartCrossRoadssignpost.jpg

I think you have solved your own mystery :wink:

looking at the first photo and zooming in it looks like a chunk has been broken off and then there is that hole as well.

wonder if it could have been a water pump?

seems a bit narrow at the bottom for a signpost

had a quick search on google images and there are a few cast iron water pumps that have a similar look at the bottom.

Sid if youlook at the old photo of the finger sign post it would have been made in four possibly five sections so as to make it easier for the workmen to errect, no forklift trucks or telescopic cranes in those days. the section that is in the ground would have been the one directly beneath the fingers and they would have had a cap on top of that, I have pushed and pulled on it - no movement whatsoever I estimate it tobe obout eight foot long with about five foot in the ground I'm fairly certain its not a water pump - too heavy.

No Dizzy I haven't contacted the Council Highways department because all they would do is rip it out and scrap it, I emailed a pal of mine who is on the council and filled him in with the details and on Sunday evening all us members of the Grumpy Old Mens Club (he is a honorary member as he's much younger than us) meet and this topic will be on the agenda.

Have a look for signposts!

Dizzy don't look at the bottom as that is buried in the ground the photographs I took are of the top section but obviously the fingers with the letters are missing as is the top cap, look at my photo (with the lady birds) and compare that with the old photo and you will see a hole just under the decorative flange on both, that hole would have been tapped with a screwed thread and a set bolt inserted in to it to tighten up against a steel bar inserted through the finger name plates boss and inserted into the large diameter hole in the top of our post, Bloody Hell! it's like writing out a work spec for some of the thick fitters back on the job :roll:

Sorry Dizzy not directed at you just getting frustrated at myself for not explaining properly :oops:

Algy I think you are probably right ie it's a sign post (well actually a guidepost :wink::P ) and I just spent a happy 2 hours looking at all your old Warrington photos. online reclamation sites and others stuff. I'm crosseyed now.

Anyway after not finding anything that 'I' thought looked the same I had a brain wave....

I started searching english heritages listed monuments etc :lol:

This sounds like your thingy....although yours is obviously missing a bit. I'll try and find a photo of it later

Listing Text

GUIDE POST

CHIDLOW C.P. MALPAS ROAD (B5395)

SJ 54 NW

5074 4520 AND DODD'S LANE

3/22 Guidepost

II

Guidepost, probably 1870's, of cast iron. Octagonal shaft has CCC

embossed in ornate letters on raised shield. Plates with raised

margins and pecked corners direct to MALPAS, DODD'S LANE and

WHITCHURCH in sans serif capitals. Ball finial.

Listing NGR: SJ5075145201

Dizzy sounds like the one Iv'e found, love to see a photo, at the moment I'm not saying need to speak to some people first.

Wolfie they would only walk into the name plates if they were wearing stilts mate there is either along section of the post buried in the ground or a section that has been removed if the latter than i think it is of little historical value.

Gosh you are so secretive Algy and you are making it really hard for me to look online and in all my old books and paper listing details (which are in the loft :oops: ) when you wont even give a clue to it's whereabouts :shock: Anyway I shall not be deterred and on I will plod :lol::wink:

It's not that special as it's not even complete and I wouldn't have the strength to dig it up an pinch it for an ornamental bird feeder in my garden :P:wink::lol:

Can't find a photo of the one I mentioned earler at the moment and have just had a 'wander' round at low speed on google earth but will carry on looking later. Think I spotted one in someones garden on a junction but could only see the top bit :lol:

There are a few more Grade II listed mileposts of similar description so may be easlier and quicker for you to go and have a proper look if the suns shining tomorrow.

Here's another

SJ 67 NE GREAT BUDWORTH C.P. WARRINGTON ROAD

6615 7744 West Side

6/103 Guidepost at northern corner of junction with

Budworth Lane

-

late C19, cast iron. Plinthed octagonal post inscribed CCC

on raised shield; maker's name, presently illegible, on plinth; plates

with raised margins, pecked corners and lettering in raised sans serif lettering are inscribed STRETTON & WARRINGTON : GREAT BUDWORTH :NORTHWICH : COMBERBACH 3/4 RUNCORN 11. A559 plates, in matching style, bolted above the STRETTON & WARRINGTON and NORTHWICH plates.

Ornate ball finial. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SJ6615077440

Happy looking :D

Here you go.... it is a cast Iron Finger Post like this one....

715869_55e77e5c.jpg

You can see the "C C C" at the bottom of this post near Tarvin/Frodsham

It is exactly the same as the one posted by Algy except his seems to be further into the ground so either it has sunk or the ground has been raised around it over the years....

Google is my friend!! :lol: