New Travellers Pitch in the South of Warrington

Geoff Settle

Typical bloody pikeys.... and these people want to be part of a well adjusted community?

They all need to be put on a boat to the most remote of remote islands...caravans and all.

God this makes me seethe! I have been talking to a builder about having a bit of an extension on the front of my house to make a proper entrance hall and he has advised me to get plans drawn up and get searches done and check with the residents and god knows what else for a building the size of a small garden shed and yet pikey Joe and his band of remedials can just ride rough-shod all over the whole council planning department?

WHERE ARE THE COUNCILLORS NOW TO EXPLAIN HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH ALL THIS AND WHY NO ONE IS BIG ENOUGH TO STAND UP TO THEM?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A felled tree is a felled tree, it is not as if they just pollarded them, some I guess were maybe 70 years old.

As one of the residents said to me, "I understand that Mr and Mrs Smith have always stated that they wish to be accepted into local village life and cause as little disturbance as possible. I have to say that their actions today will have just the opposite effect."

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

You might recall Baz that 3 Councillors voted to approve the site...Fairfield & Howley, Orford & Whittle Hall...1 Labour, 1 Liberal Democrat and 1 Independent ( ex Labour).....6 voted to reject. :wink:

All very well and good pointing out who voted which way, which constituency they cover and for which party.....SO WHAT ? :roll: ) and the issue should now be about how to stop it getting APPROVED when it DOES get resubmitted :roll:

For goodness sake keep petty local politics and point scoring of it and look at the real issue :roll: :redmad:

A felled tree is a felled tree, it is not as if they just pollarded them, some I guess were maybe 70 years old.

Indeed Paul but a 'felled tree' is one that has been removed and it cannot simply be put back.

And a 'felled tree' which was once cited as part of a planning refusal no longer 'stands' as a reason for objection :roll:

Surly the local councillor is to blame for a lot of this. Knowing that these really nice trees were in imminent danger subject to a planning order why did they not slap an immediate TPO on them. Then discuss if they can or should be removed. This is incompetence of the highest order and someone should be taken to task about it.

Surely the council care more about the residents/ratepayers of Appleton Thorn and the countryside green belt of the town than some two bit Irish iterant family who wants to set up a squat. A lot of this council are not fit to clean toilets.

Stop sitting on the fence LF and tell us what you really feel!!

Remember this is the bunch of incompetants that couldn't save the 17th Villa, the Bay Horse Pub and the historic Boteler Grammar School.... what chance have a couple of trees got?

These councillors are all pretty quick to take the allowances and expenses but always seem to fall on the side which most annoys their constituents.... is that what happens when you gain some political power? I'd love to know because every one of them that I read about or come across always seem to be at odds with the folk who vote them in!!

Originally posted by Dismayed:

Indeed Paul but a 'felled tree' is one that has been removed and it cannot simply be put back.

And a 'felled tree' which was once cited as part of a planning refusal no longer 'stands' as a reason for objection :roll:

Exactly...disgraceful state of affairs.

Originally posted by Dismayed:

You might recall Baz that 3 Councillors voted to approve the site...Fairfield & Howley, Orford & Whittle Hall...1 Labour, 1 Liberal Democrat and 1 Independent ( ex Labour).....6 voted to reject. :wink:

All very well and good pointing out who voted which way, which constituency they cover and for which party.....SO WHAT ? :roll: ) and the issue should now be about how to stop it getting APPROVED when it DOES get resubmitted :roll:

For goodness sake keep petty local politics and point scoring of it and look at the real issue :roll: :redmad:

Actually I think it is an entirely valid point, would for example that Whittle Hall Councillor approve an application if it was in Whittle Hall.

And it is certainly not petty as it relates to national government policies that obligate local government to do things that by and large it can't or it won't and the law abiding local residents in a corner of the Borough end up being dumped upon, don't think that they think it is petty. Interestingly if I really wanted to point score, I really could, but actually I'm not that bothered...

My post merely pointed out that the Committee's decision to reject was not unanimous, and maybe those who voted to approve should be given the opportunity to explain their reason(s)they could be entirely reasonable and valid.

[ 07.02.2008, 13:54: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

I hate to say that "I told you so" but the minute I heard about the trees being the sole impediment to a satisfactory visibility splay being achieved it was ruddy obvious that the pikey's were going to chop them down. An emergency TPO could easily have been served the very minute that the highways officers reached their conclusions and it would have given the Council a bit of redress.

Still, it is asking a bit much expecting the Planning staff to know about The Town and Country Planning (Trees) Regulations 1999 - I mean they've only been around for 9 years :wink:

Still, what's done is done. Is it hoping for too much to expect the officers to re-assess the claim of "special circumstances" that the pikey's originally incorporated in their application and come to the (rather obvious) conclsuion that they are not 'special' after all? I know that planning staff at Warrington rarely read Government guidance, but here's a little nugget from paragraph 3 of Circular 1/94 that might be of some assistance to them:

Gypsy sites are not regarded as being among those uses of land which are normally appropriate in Green Belts. Green Belt land should not therefore be allocated for gypsy sites in development plans.
Seems fairly clear cut to me, but then what do I know :confused:

The Appeal could have succeeded if the reasons for refusal had been more carefully drafted and the officers hadn't ignored advice about how personal circumstances are very seldom sufficient to constitute special circumstances sufficient to justify a departure from national planning guidance...

...but this is Warrington we are on about, a Four-Star F*** Up Authority :redmad:

OK so I have just delete my own post !!

It was the first of 4 indepth and rather to the point postings to certain replies that I had pre-written and was starting to upload.

Paul As you say it is easy to point score and I was falling into the same trap and although I have some good point scoring amunition I am now refraining from being drawn in. However if anyone wants it my lemsip is now wearing off.

Government policies... political party...who voted what... etc etc IS STILL A LOAD OF TRIPE !

Government policy for example can easily be over-ruled locally when it needs to be :wink:

[ 07.02.2008, 21:07: Message edited by: Dismayed ]

Perhaps this episode will convince the Warrington policy section to look harder to identify a proper site somewhere in the borough as part of the LDF process? If so, then this at least would give the Council a better chance at refusing repeat applications on patently unsuitable sites.

You (as an applicant) have an automatic right to resubmit for planning permission without incurring a further charge. This is set out in The Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications and Deemed Applications) Regulations 1989, Regulation 8 (1)(B).

It must be made within 12 months of the decision on the original application, the applicant and the site must be the same. Doubtless the pikey's are better versed in planning legislation than the Council officers!

The other local Traveller Site at Walton is actually on Green Belt land which is owned by the travellers, that site is also adjacent to the conservation area, and as it sits right on the banks of the bridgewater canal there is definately some loss of visual amenity there.

Its been there for about 10 years now after having 2 temporary :roll:

As for site access and highways issues.... their entrance is on a bend just before a humped back bridge and they have large works vans and trailers going in and out all day :confused:

[ 08.02.2008, 14:42: Message edited by: Dismayed ]

The one at Walton is very safe in the morning when they all want to leave to do their honest days work. The first wagon pulls out across the road an blocks it all the others can then pull out about 30 of them the first wagon then waves 'thanks' and drives off. All the other traffic can the continue inhindered. :confused: :confused:

Wonder if the DVLA conduct any checks on the vehicles coming and going from the site. :wink: gypsy site with vehicles that didn't have the required insurance, mot and tax.

They seem to abide by the rules which I would imagine has something to do with the fact that they still only have temporary planning consent even though they have been there for 12 years.. and the have now got it until the year 2014 (18 years in total :wink::o )

[ 09.02.2008, 14:30: Message edited by: Dismayed ]