New Travellers Pitch in the South of Warrington

Geoff Settle

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dismayed:

Originally posted by BazJ:

I think most schools are "encouraged" to find places for gypoes kids aren't they?

I'm not sure... I know Stockton Heath Primary has always had available places to accomodat but I'm not sure if any of the others local school actually do.
There are indeed surplus places in all of the local schools.

The Walton (2 acre Park) site was bought by Smith at auction for ?6000 - last of the WALTON ARMS pub farm land (once farmed by England wicket keeper 'OWZAT' George Duckworth). Currently the 'travellers' are on a TEN YEARS spell of TEMPORARY PERMISSION following on two previous FOUR YEAR PERMISSIONS. WBC had a guy full time for best part of a year looking for a permanent travellers site in the Borough but could not find anywhere which complies with Government guidelines which include none contaminated land, proximity to schools, hospitals and areas for tools of trade such as dumper trucks, lorries etc. The Walton children do not go to school after 11 and have a visiting tutor for the three 'Rs' 8)8)

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Two different people Dismayed. Mr M Smith is Walton, Mr T Smith is Grappenhall, and as Mr T Smith pointed out to me he is Irish whilst Mr M Smith is the English variety. I am told, Smith is a common name amongst "travellers".

Oops sorry Paul my mistake... :wink:

Originally posted by Pedro:

The Walton children do not go to school after 11 and have a visiting tutor for the three 'Rs' :roll:

Eh ?? They've been going to Stockton Heath Primary School for at least 8 years. Do they get private tutors at home aswell?

Don't know about Dismayed - sounds more like totally confused - the Walton travellers site kids have been going to Stockton Heath Primary until 11 years old - that's when PRIMARY EDUCATION ends and SECONDARY begins but Junior Travellers at Walton have a tutor coming on to the site after finishing at PRIMARY - not while still at PRIMARY. This system came into public domain when the planning applications were made for retrospective planning for a permanent site in Walton village and the tutor supplied a letter to confirm he was educating the 11 plus kids. They have skills well beyond the 3 Rs - like trapping finches and other birds for sale by using glue coated boards on hedges where locals leave out bird food and water.

Student Geoff - I think Peter's suggestion of Grappenhall Heyes was tongue in cheek and intended to contrast the modern mansions there with travellers caravans - surprised you have not taken in this area on your runs :P

8)8)

Don't know about Dismayed - sounds more like totally confused - the Walton travellers site kids have been going to Stockton Heath Primary until 11 years old - that's when PRIMARY EDUCATION ends and SECONDARY begins but Junior Travellers at Walton have a tutor coming on to the site after finishing at PRIMARY - not while still at PRIMARY. .

Ok so you confused me too...

Your original post said

'The Walton children do not go to school after 11 and have a visiting tutor for the three 'Rs'
.... but you didn't mention the words 'tutor after the age of 11' hence my question.

Be clearer next time so as not to have to waste energy correcting my obvious current level of stupidity :D:wink::P

Ironic thst the Walton field should be taken over by TRAVELLERS - was home of WALTON WANDERERS soccer team circa 1945 - arguably one of first sponsored teams - Francis Lady Daresbury providing shirts of black with yellow sleeves and collars - Lady FD's family colouts.

8)8)

Ironic thst the Walton field should be taken over by TRAVELLERS - was home of WALTON WANDERERS soccer team circa 1945 - arguably one of first sponsored teams - Francis Lady Daresbury providing shirts of black with yellow sleeves and collars - Lady FD's family colouts.

8)8)

Pedro did you know Farmer Bill Leah who now works up at the Grappenhall Heys Walled Garden?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Geoff - have known the Leah family for many years. Willie's Dad Percy was a well known character around the Walton area and farmed land where Gatewarth Tip and Moore Nature reserve now stand - also the land around Gainsborough Road area before it was built on in the 1960s. Much of it very highly productive land due to the depth of silt deposits dredged from the Mersey - known locally as "the ptomised land" when it was farmed - must be some good gardening soil between Chester Road and Causeway.

8)8)