New Travellers Pitch in the South of Warrington

Geoff Settle

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The news report said 'The borough council fought a long and costly battle to stop the travellers? site being established at Walton some years ago ? and lost.'.....

Can anyone remember the council fighting to stop it and what actually went on. I recall some of the local residents strongly objecting but NOT the council.

(Last paragraph deleted whilst you were all watching England cheat at footy :D:wink: )

[ 21.11.2007, 21:31: Message edited by: Dismayed ]

• 2 weeks later...

A retrospective planning application has been submitted, which will be subject to due process.

Must admit that I was quite impressed with John Groves the Head of Planning when he recently spoke to a group of residents.

The irony of the whole thing is that the "travellers" cease to become travellers when they turn their land into a fixed residential area, and the only reason they might be granted planning permission is because they are travellers. What is the difference between them and a family who have a conventional home and a touring caravan in the drive. :confused:

Originally posted by Dismayed:

The news report said 'The borough council fought a long and costly battle to stop the travellers? site being established at Walton some years ago ? and lost.'.....

Can anyone remember the council fighting to stop it and what actually went on. I recall some of the local residents strongly objecting but NOT the council.

They did. It went to an Appeal, and the Appellant won....and was awarded costs against the Council.

PS 1 resident strongly objected....as he lived opposite the site. The Council rejected the planning application, as did the planning committee.

PPS Do the residents on these Travellers Sites pay Council Tax...and Income Tax.

Originally posted by BazJ:

Of course you would dismayed. But you are a law abiding tax payer. If you had put down hard standing you would get about 2 hours to get it shifted.... unlike our travelling friends

I let it go the first time, but I am not comfortable with the word. Seems a tad derogatory.

Peter....

I must say I am bloody disgusted that you have edited my post to take out what you see as a derogatory reference. The term... according to the dictionary is as follows:

Main Entry: pikey

Part of Speech: n

Definition: a gypsy or vagabond; piker

Etymology: from turnpike

Usage: slang

It may be a slang term but it is a term which has suited for quite a while. I have to say I find it MORE objectionable that you have substituted my phrase with one that is even more out of touch with most peoples perceptions...travelling friends.

The only travelling they do is between towns to set up illegal camp sites and make the lives of law abiding citizens a misery and as for the word friends.... they aint no bloody friends of mine matey and they can all burn in hell as far as I'm concerned

If my sentiments upset some of you out there.... why not take up basket weaving or social work.... I'm sure it would be better suited

Baz

[ 07.12.2007, 21:51: Message edited by: BazJ ]

oh dear....

what the hell has this country come to then?

so as a white working male I cannot now exercise my right to freedom of speech? they are not a race, not a creed, don't pay tax, ignore almost every law going and yet they still get legal protection from someone who criticises them?? Only in Labour run Britain

But what I would like the political types to tell me then is why do they seem to do so much pandering to a group who have no fixed abode and as such surely have no right to vote?

go on.... don't tell me.... they have a special dispensation or something that lets them?

[ 07.12.2007, 21:50: Message edited by: BazJ ]

Mike....

I agree with your sentiments. It is about time the general law-abiding public in this country stood up and took these pocket lining politicians to task.

It is no good banging on about doing it at the ballot box because that doesn't work; whoever you vote for only gets you another bunch of soft Brussels loving hypocrites.

We need law and order to restored to the country. We need proper sentences and in some cases we need vengence against these morons who are terrorising the streets.

It has been said that the recent murders in this town are only to be expected because of the size it is now but I don't think that the families of the dead kids will take much comfort in that.

Not all youngsters are bad but there are a lot more bad 'uns now than when I was a kid

So regardless of party politics, we need proper justice and proper sentencing and proper policing where the coppers actually do some work for their salaries and pensions (oh dear they aint back dating a pay rise....) maybe if they actually caught more criminals instead of fixing the figures (allegedly) to look like they are, we might get somewhere.

Let the people have a say on how the criminals who are blighting this country are treated and I can bet my house on the outcome being on the side of punishment rather than on the side of lenient sentences, getting out half way through the sentences and having TV nad 3 meals a day while they are in there!

Rant over

Baz

[ 08.12.2007, 10:35: Message edited by: BazJ ]

I agree with most of what's been said, but I know that most police are as frustrated as you. The number of criminals caught each day is quite high, unfortunately most are released because of 'technicalities' and those that get to court have the support of top lawyers and weak judges.

In the case of the young lad murdered in Liverpool, everyone knows the name of the lad who did it including the police, but they can't arrest him because of lack of evidence and witnessess .

The Police in general do a reasonable job but the system lets them down. :(

[ 08.12.2007, 10:54: Message edited by: busby ]

I would disagree. The Police do not do a good job, they do a sub standard job despite having all of the tools and money with which to do a good job.

The average copper on the beat might well be frustrated by what he/she can or can't do but that isn't the point.... they should bloody open their collective mouths and shout it from the rooftops. They have been quick enough to collectively criticise the fact that they aren't getting their payrise back dated to September and so losing 0.4% of what they were awarded!!

I would have respect for the cops if they actually said publically that they were unhappy with this and that instead of keeping schtum.

Generally they do a good job in extorting money from the motorist but when it comes to sorting out gangs of kids on street corners or hanging round outside peoples houses they aren't interested.

If it is the fault of European directives giving the unruly and the unwashed more protection, then lets scrap those directives and start to Police our own internal affairs for ourselves. If it is our own Government that is handcuffing the Police (pun intended!!) then something must be done to stop it and if that means throwing out the whole damn lot of them, then so be it. Be we must have a mandate from somewhere which promises to give back rights to the law abiding classes and strip the criminals and the unruly of theirs until they toe the line.

We can't go on capitulating to the lilly livered liberals for much longer or the whole country will fall into an unrecoverable meltdown of society where only the bad people come out on top.

and as for sharia law, It might be a good idea for some of our criminals! I particularly like the bit about chopping hands off thieves and burglars.... (I think that was one anyway!!) whatever it is a good idea none the less

Baz

[ 08.12.2007, 19:42: Message edited by: BazJ ]