New Travellers Pitch in the South of Warrington

Geoff Settle

Pete Waterman understood to still own Black Jane Farm at Newton by Darebury (between A49 and A56) where he converted outbuildings into recording studios and a purpose made building for classic cars) - he also used to own a farm at Little Leigh near Barnton where he dabbled in Shire Horse breeding for a while but reputed to have lost money on this enterprise and sold the farm and horses in 1990s.

8)8)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't visited this thread in quite a while but it will be interesting when the official notification about the Appeal is pandered around. What will also be interesting is the specific grounds that the appelants have objected on, and the Council's response to those grounds. Given the hash of things that has already been made, one would hope that the Council would spring for a decent QC and get the case run properly, rather than run the risk of yet another administrative foul up letting the appellants have an 'easy win'. The drafting of Enforcement Notices needs particular attention - they cannot just be thrown together.

Originally posted by BazJ:

The farmer who sold the land should be evicted off his land and the camp should be nuked from orbit "it's the only way to be sure!!" :D

Led to believe that after a few 'death threats' the farmer has bought back the land at a loss and the gypsy's are starting to move off.

Originally posted by wolfie:

Originally posted by BazJ:

The farmer who sold the land should be evicted off his land and the camp should be nuked from orbit "it's the only way to be sure!!" :D

Led to believe that after a few 'death threats' the farmer has bought back the land at a loss and the gypsy's are starting to move off.
Any links available regarding the buy back

Originally posted by Dismayed:

Great news.

I bet the residents are over the moon after all their hard work in trying to save and protect their green belt land from the unapproved traveller development.....

And now I am replying to myself......

SORRY all... I though it was the Grappenhall site that was suddenly being vacated hence my congratualtions to the residents. I feel stupid now :roll:

Thanks Dismayed. I "love" how in some of the articles it talks bout racism against gypsies. Do they not think that sometimes people bring problems on themselves by their actions and attitudes.

Actually Mrs K & I though we might sell up and become "travellers"....and buy a plot of agricultural land overlooking a delightful coastal view somewhere...and set up camp....along with a couple of Shire horses.

"Travellers" do not constitute a race, it is merely a lifestyle choice surely (i.e. enjoy an easy life at the expense of others). Anyway, I will follow the Appeal to its conclusion - quite what an Inspector will make of the Council's actions will be revealing, although you need to read between the lines there - they cannot be as candid about faults as the Ombudsman can be, but I don't think that anyone has taken that route yet have they.

Wouldn't bank on the Ombudsman helping McBain.

Been there, seen how they perform (and the slow speed at which they act) although they do say they are listening :wink:

At the end of the day while many higher official 'offices' or 'political persons' will say that they agree with what the 'opposers' say.. very few are actually willing to stick their necks out at the final hurdle and actually do something about it :wink:

Are there any local elections for the affected Ward this year? If so I would have thought that the local Member keen to retain his / her seat would almost have to stick their neck out to respond to this issue.

However, if the travellers are successful, does this mean that they will then become liable for Council Tax at Band 'D' ratings (it is after all a nice location to live)?

There is a Borough election for one of the 3 seats in Grappenhall & Thelwall, the incumbent is Ted Lafferty, not sure until next Tuesday, when the nomination lists are released, if he will stand as he is not at all well, on this matter he has deferred to his colleague Cllr Mike Biggin.

Given the size of the plot I would have thought Band H would be the correct one. :wink:

Originally posted by McBain:

Are there any local elections for the affected Ward this year? If so I would have thought that the local Member keen to retain his / her seat would almost have to stick their neck out to respond to this issue.

However, if the travellers are successful, does this mean that they will then become liable for Council Tax at Band 'D' ratings (it is after all a nice location to live)?

Good thinking McB :wink:

But as usual I have another problem with this (habit of mine :wink:

[ 03.04.2008, 20:01: Message edited by: Dismayed ]

How long do you think it will be before features such as permanent barbecue, hardstandings for cars, rotary driers start to appear? Ordinarily these would be Permitted Development, but since the travellers should not benefit from Permitted Development Rights, it would mean that formal planning permission would have to be sought for each and every new addition. I think that this site is rapdily going to get even further beyond the Council's ability to control...

...whilst still providing ample election fodder for the local Councillors and wannabe Councillors :wink:

• 4 months later...

Showing my ignorance again McB... but what's a Proof of Evidence and is it something that should be freely available ?

Having looked on WBC's very slow, somewhat confusing (although I've got my head round it now :wink: ) web site there are NO details whatsoever under the original planning application regarding the appeal... other than to say it has been appealed against with a date.. no appeal reference or anything at all !!!! :roll: Very helpful NOT !!!

So........ off to the Inspectorate's Planning Portal I went and searched for ALL appeals against Warrington Borough Council....... 14 records returned but NOTHING AGAIN for this application/appeal :?:? That did surprise as the PP is usually quite good.

So is it just me? Am I losing my marbles (probably :wink: ) or is the obvious staring me in the face under a disguise and I just cant see it :shock:

No wonder people sometimes give up eh and surely things should be far more easily accessed, open and transparent :roll: