20 mph

vic

No peter, just make them pay tax and insurance. They could be issued with a sticker like you get your serial number for windows on that won't come off again. Stick that on your frame and away you go. Don't have a sticker and it gets crushed.....

god I'm loving this idea, I think it is a sure fire winner.

Just think of all the extra money I could generate for the cash strapped country........

At what age would you bring this in at Baz or would you like all cyclists to be taxed and insured regardless of age :roll::lol:

Going back to the 20 for cars though... ignoring all the trial roads which have now been approved at 20mph (and which comes into force on 15 April) as they already have their speed signs I guess....

At present the highway code says that where a road doesn't have speed signs you should presume it is a default 30 mph (or words to that effect)

So IF this 20mph thing it is rolled out across the whole of Warrington I presume ALL roads that become default 20 will have to have those tiny un-noticable 20 road speed signs attached to their lamp posts or tree stumps and any that may remain 30 as present will also have to have 30 signs put on them if they don't currently have them?

That's one heck of a lot of new signs eh :shock:

because you have people who don't ride around in plated machines.....

Transferring debate from another thread for BAZJ

When I went to see and talk to residents I witnessed one young driver at speed

Geoff, it has been proven ad infinitum that human beings cannot judge speed correctly with the naked eye; so I am guessing that unless you had a speed camera, you were having a good guess at the speed of the young driver?

However your following points say it all really when it comes to the knee jerk nonsense that has accompanied this 20 mph farce....

a number of children running straight into the road without looking

Kids running out into the street without looking...... educate the kids

3 {kids} flew down a path on bikes and straight into the road

bikes always fly past and NEVER follow the rules of the road nor do they obey traffic signals

One came off his bike and crashed as he tried to avoid a parked car.

and finally; I know you 20mph luvvies are clutching at straws when you are stooping as low as to blame a parked car for causing a cyclist to come off!

Where there's blame and all that

Bazj I was trying to illustrate that this kid lost control of his bike at speed and ended up in the middle of the road heading for a parked car. He stopped by skidding and managed to NOT hit the car. The blame was all his. :roll:

I haven't time to read the whole thread but have Lady Newloves ideas in relation to traffic in community streets been discussed :?:

I bet Wahl loves what she has come out with.

Bazj I was trying to illustrate that this kid lost control of his bike at speed and ended up in the middle of the road heading for a parked car. He stopped by skidding and managed to NOT hit the car. The blame was all his. :roll:

I haven't time to read the whole thread but have Lady Newloves ideas in relation to traffic in community streets been discussed :?:

Geoff, your comments were made to look like the three examples you gave were down to speeding car drivers....

As for "Lady" Newlove, she is an attention seeking nobody who is exploiting the tragic death of her husband to serve her own agendas and pockets..... I have no time for the woman and anything she says

Geoff, your comments were made to look like the three examples you gave were down to speeding car drivers....

As for "Lady" Newlove, she is an attention seeking nobody who is exploiting the tragic death of her husband to serve her own agendas and pockets..... I have no time for the woman and anything she says

Yet you and she sounded so remarkably similar in the run up to the last election :wink:

Geoff, if you talk to the regulars at Fearnhead Community Centre, they will tell you that the woman mentioned didn't want to KNOW about the Community until the tragic demise of her husband. Hardly a recipe for success.

I hope that your endeavours with the schols? and the police, pay dividends, because that is where it needs sorting.

20mph will increase road rage, consume more fuel and give a false sense of security.

Yet you and she sounded so remarkably similar in the run up to the last election :wink:

I don't quite understand what you mean.... I have never tried to exploit the death of my loved one for personal gain PJ.....The fact that the PM decided to make her some kind of communities champion was misplaced to say the least.... she is hardly likely to be taken seriously when she doesn't even live anywhere near the place these days

Cllr settle wrote

I haven't time to read the whole thread but have Lady Newloves ideas in relation to traffic in community streets been discussed

What an invitation for a response, so here is a starter

Now that the cllr appears to be a mind reader, I do agree with what Lady Newlove says in her report. It is a very thorough thoughtful report that provides a good basis for solving local issues.

However, regarding this thread, she actually said is "If speeding is a problem in your area why not let the community set the speed limit?"

Note the IF SPEEDING IS A PROBLEM part of the sentence. In other words if there is no problem leave the speed limit alone.

Taking some other comments in the report, She also says "Local highways agencies are supposed to consult on speed limits, but how well is this advertised?" and that "consultation is a tick box exercise with the overall aim of driving through an organisation?s agenda rather than really understanding and responding to what the public wants"

Doesn't this just reflect the 20 mph scheme?l

With regards to the news which which lists the many roads in the town centre/great sankey/orford which become 20 mph on 15 April .... it also says that

A copy of the order and statement of the council's reason for making the order, together with plans of the restricted areas, may be examined at the council's legal services section, Quattro Building, New Town House, Buttermarket Street, Warrington, during the usual office hours Monday to Friday.

Again ... things only available for viewing Monday to Friday during work hours :roll:WHY DON'T THEY PUT IT ON THEIR WEBSITE !!!

It also says that

Anyone who wishes to question the validity of the order or of any provision contained in it on the grounds that it is not within the powers conferred by the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 or on the grounds that any requirement of that Act or any instrument made under it has not been complied with in relation to the Order may, within six weeks from March 31, apply to the High Court for this purpose .

Errrm like anyone will read through or understand the whole of the 1984 Act let alone apply to the high court if they 'think' it's not right :?

At least it will avoid the council having to consider or discuss any representations they receive in public as there wont be any.... but like already said it would be 'nice' if they put their documentation/info on the council's website so the rest of us can read it for future reference :wink:

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/10351/1/20mph-restrictions-start-April-15/Page1.html

Sorry been away for a while so no chance to answer (not that it?d have made much difference).

Rod said about Bill

I am not sure how many times I have to repeat this for it to sink in.

You know it, I know it, almost every one of the other posters on this web site knows it.

So why do you keep conjuring up this idea of every road in Warrington having a 20mph limit. And why is there so much clapping and hollering whenever it is mentioned.

Bill replies

Quite simple Rod, because this is the one area where I strongly disagree with you and one that you seem to prefer not to be drawn on. It?s the Achilles? heel of your whole argument and although you claim it?s nothing to do with you, from where I sit, you?re the only person pushing for these changes.

Put it this way, if a route like Long Lane had been made 20mph, are you seriously expecting us to accept that you had nothing to do with it and it was all down to some guy in planning?

The department of transport determines whether a road is residential or an arterial/feeder road and it?s this classification that should form the basis of any decision making process. Your repeated failure to condemn the councils decision to include a major A road would indicate that you support the idea, even it you can?t bring yourself to say so.

I?ve have pushed you on this several times but just like a true politician, you side-step the issue and try steering the subject away onto some trivial side issues like fuel consumption or noise. So you see Rod it?s not that it?s not sinking in, it?s just that I don?t take the bait quite as readily as others.

Bill :)

The council received 540 original forms back, with 262 supporting the existing policy, 140 supporting restrictions in residential areas and 105 supporting a blanket 20mph speed limit in the city.

A further 627 photocopied forms were received with 354 supporting the blanket restriction, 261 supporting a residential vote and just ten supporting the current system.

Appears like a fiddle somewhere. just like voters voting many times