20 mph

vic

How barking is that Newlove woman? does she really think that people (other than the likes of Rod of course) will really be bothered to go and sit in the rain with a speed gun? and just imagine the situation if some do gooder catches and gets prosecuted some idiot like Raoul Moat!

The trouble is, it would be an administrative nightmare and about a likely to succeed as England winning the world cup

You may also be interested in Baroness Newlove?s recent report and its support for local communities to decide speed limits for local roads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12888206

1. Your link is broken, so don't know what she's blabbering about.

&

2. Yes, it is not a bad idea for local communities to decide on their speed limits, so why are you so insistent on deciding same for everyone, not just your own community?

Think about how you could use IT to create your own community forum. Setting up an email group, a social network site or a blog

Ok, I've thought about it now how does it help reduce anti social behaviour? :?:?

And how does reporting anti social behaviour to the police achieve anything? :?:?

Your link doesn't work Rod.

I'm all for communities saying that certain roads should be reduced but the decision or suggestion seems to have been taken out of the communities hands Rod just like everything else that goes on in Warrington.

Your group is pushing for it across the board and filling all our heads with statistics and european findings......but do you actually know anything about the roads where I live for example.

Which ones do you think need reducing and why? Or which ones do you think already fall into the category of being safe (well apart from the idiots who already ignore the speed limits who will continue to ignore them whatever they are set to !!) On these 'safer roads' do you not agree that it would be a waste of money and time to slap 20 speed limits and signs on them all ?

It would be interesting to know how many people have contacted the council requesting that roads near them are reduced to 20 mph or require traffic calming measurements in the last 10 years.

Infact there's a good suggestion for a FOI request and if it shows that there has been a huge number of requests for many of the roads in the borough then I will shut up and stop babbling on :lol:

Yes the road outside mine gets it's idiots and speed demons but to be honest I don't ever recall anyone getting run over or injured in a collission... although my parked car did get trashed by a driver last year but that was not really her fault :?

As hard as I try Rod I cannot see the real benefits... I can only see the pitfalls of enforcement, ignorance and the costs involved and like has already been said many times... if it cant be enforced the the same idiots will still speed.

By the way.. will every affected road need to have 20 mph signs on them :?

Sorry for any typos as not got time to read my own wafflings 8)

Clearly the Council has made a Rod for it's own back with this nonesense and rational folk should note which Councillors support and vote for this and ensure they don't vote for them in future. As for the "Baroness", she may have thrown in some mad cap ideas with her new found knowledge of such matters, but does anyone actually believe she wrote "a report"! :lol:

Allowing residents to decide on the limit is not really a good approach as can be seen by the present crusade. People requests for consideration and debate is sometimes better than people power.

Disappointed that Rod, having more or less got his own way, is no longer interested in the roll-out of his plan.

Also interested to know WHY he has chosen this subject to devote his time and energies to, when there are so many more worthy causes in the country that need fixing first. ie Deprivation

Allowing residents to decide on the limit is not really a good approach as can be seen by the present crusade. People requests for consideration and debate is sometimes better than people power.

I'm not saying that residents should set the limit Peter what I meant was that where residents feel there is a clear need for speed reduction or traffic calming on their road and the police agree then their views should be taken into consideration as they live there and know the roads on a daily basis..... the decision should not be made simply based on the views or global statistics from people who do not live in that area/road.

I'm not saying that residents should set the limit Peter what I meant was that where residents feel there is a clear need for speed reduction or traffic calming on their road and the police agree then their views should be taken into consideration as they live there and know the roads on a daily basis..... the decision should not be made simply based on the views or global statistics from people who do not live in that area/road.

AGREED. Just testing you. :lol::wink:

:P Trying to keep me awake more like :lol:

Here's a question for you all before I keel over in a heap.

Where you all live are there any specific roads (either 'A' roads, 'B' roads or 'side roads' (are all side roads B roads :oops: ) that you feel would really become safer and would benefit from being reduced to a 20 mph limit ot having other trafic calming measures imposed ?

And if so.... have you (or anyone else you know) ever contacted the council/police/other in any way with regards to your concerns about these roads and the threat they may pose to drivers / other road users / pedestrians ?

The area I live in agreed democratically to a 20 zone with speed humps. This was basically to stop some roads being used as a rat run. Sadly some people see the humps as a challenge and a way to test their suspension. The sucess was that it stopped the rat run. Speeding can still take place, so in that it was a failure at great expense.

I followed a bus up Wash Lane today. I was doing 20 as required, but the bus was pulling away from me. So much for compliance.

If the area hadn't been a regeneration area (by the skin of its teeth) we wouldn't have bothered as the speeding wasn't a major issue.

However, Knutsford road is a different story. :roll:

Errm, don't know about "testing their suspension", anyone hitting road humps at more than 10mph is just going to wreck their suspension, hence, with the majority of folk, it has the desired effect. :roll:

That is certainly the case where my mother-in-law lives in Paddington. Very quiet residential roads with mainly bungalows and for whatever reason the council put a lot of wide speed bumps on ALL the roads. By wide I mean the ones that go the width of the road rather than the square ones which you can 'negotiate' :?

Even at 10mph these are a heck of a bumpy ride and people drive round there at a snails pace so they obviously work :wink:

No idea why they put them all there though as it's never been particularly busy area or one that seemed to suffer from speed demons.