20 mph

vic

Well I think the quotes are consistent. Firstly there has been a recognition by many on this forum that they recognise that 20mph is an appropriate limit for "residential" roads. Some refer to these as "truly residential", but lets take that as an acceptance.

You see, there you go again. From what I've seen, yes most are happy enough with 20mph on "truly residential" roads as you now classify it, so we can at least see the message is getting through to you, but no, that does not mean an acceptance of your argument, which was a 20mph blanket imposition of this ill thought out limit.

I'd probably simplify it for you further, if the residential road ends in a cul de sac, which most "truly residential" roads do, then I'm all for a 20mph limit, otherwise it will always be questionable.

So, there you have it Rod, a simple and easily quantifiable solution for you, cul de sac = 20mph, anything else does not. How does that work for you?

As previously posted, education is a MUST.

It could be argued that every road in Warrington was a Residential Road.

IF the council have money to waste(?) let them maintain the services that they are hell-bent on cutting.

AND with the loss of over 200 police, HOW will this 20mph be policed?

They don't have the will do control 30mph areas.

If there were as many motorbikes and cyclists on the roads as there are cars, the accident rate would be about 100 times what it is now because in most cases I have seen; cyclists and bikers are complete and utter numpties when it comes to speed and road awareness...... combine that with dopey, uneducated kids and you have a recipe for disaster....... ban the bikers, get the cyclists insured and taxed and fine the kids for jay walking and you will reduce the accident rates by 50%

By that argument why not ban all motorised traffic with the exception of buses and commercial vehicles. No private motor vehicles at all, that way it will reduce the number of accidents by 99%.

As there are more car drivers than bikers or cyclists then surely a total ban on cars would solve a great deal of the problem. Accidents would go down and think of the savings. No expensive car to maintain, no expensive petrol to buy (soon be ?2.00 per litre), no mot to worry about and no more stupid ads for cheap motor insurance and best of all no expensive speeding fines. :twisted:

Quite the opposite would happen Sid.... if you banned cars; everyone would have to try other forms of transport and bikes and cycles would be the only viable option..... as a result the accident rate would soar because two wheel riders are just not safe!

Following from BBC News

Blackpool pavement cyclists get ?30 fine warning

Cyclists in the South Shore area will be targeted

Cyclists are being warned to stick to the roads in Blackpool's South Shore area - or risk a police fine.

Residents and motorists have been complaining to police about cyclists acting in an inconsiderate or dangerous manner while using their bikes.

A day of action is being carried out to warn cyclists about irresponsible behaviour and to take action against those who cycle illegally.

Riding on pavements or without lights can carry a ?30 fine, police warned.

PCSO Colin Hester, of the neighbourhood police team, said: "Blackpool is a great place to get out and about on your bike and we would encourage people to make use of the many cycle routes and other cycling facilities that the town has to offer.

"However, it is really important that if you are riding a bicycle then you consider your own safety and that of pedestrians and other road users."

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go then.... despite only the Warrington Cycle Campaign and RK supporting it it's been approved.

Well I hope they are right but well done to Cllr Paul Kennedy for having a brain and actually voting against it as he too can obviously see the same pitfalls as many others can see such as enforcement, money and idiot drivers ignoring it anyway.

So who are the other members on the board/committe who voted to approve it ?

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/10224/1/20mph-speed-limits-confirmed/Page1.html

Ah well... wonder how soon it will be rolled out across the whole of Warrington then :?

I think they can be fined for going through red lights if the police can be bothered to catch them and do the paperwork!

I was behind one idiot cyclist the other day, approaching the lights on Loushers Lane. Instead of waiting like everyone else had to, he rode through the 2 lines of traffic, through the red lights and left, straight onto the Causeway towards Stockton Heath amidst all the traffic! :evil:

If he had had an identifying plate of some description I would have reported him. They should have discs with identification numbers on so that they have to take responsibility.

The normal dodge for "amateur" cyclists, when faced with red lights, is to mount the pavement and cross at a pedestrian crossing on the pedestrian phase. :roll:

Nothing wrong with that. It's called "using ones initiative" and getting out of the way of traffic.

Actually there is something wrong with it. It is against the law.

You will get away with it until you mow down some pedestrian, who might be inclined to sue.

It is also possible for a cyclist to be prosecuted for riding without due care and attention, dangerously and, I think, "furious cycling."

Always remember one of my colleagues telling me about a chap who managed to get off a speeding fine on a cycle. He was bombing through stockton heath from the london bridge part to town centre on a racing bike and managed to get up to about forty five mph. Was clocked and stopped just past the lights and decided to fight his case in court. He took in an old butchers bike as evidence and when the PC was asked if that was the cycle he was riding replied "yes" to which the chap replied that if he could get that bike to do forty with out dropping it off a high cliff or towing it behind the bar not only would he pay the fine but buy a round of drinks for the whole station. needless to sat he won his case.

The normal dodge for "amateur" cyclists, when faced with red lights, is to mount the pavement and cross at a pedestrian crossing on the pedestrian phase. :roll:

Nothing wrong with that. It's called "using ones initiative" and getting out of the way of traffic.

Actually there is something wrong with it. It is against the law.

Exactly. And the biggest gripe most of us have with the lycra warriors, is that they think they can do what they like when on the road, yet will complain about the slightest error from a driver.

Egbert, and of course drivers set a good example and behave in a courteous manner to other road users AND conform to the speed limit and traffic lights? :roll:
By and large they do yes. TRaffic lights in partiular are obeyed well over 99% of the time, unless you're trying to sya there's a rash of red light jumpers, which would clearly be false.

Cyclists meanwhile spend most of their time ignoring the laws of the road, especially at traffic lights, so much so that when uou actually see one pull up at a set and wait like they are supposed to, it's seen as highly unusual.

So how can you get a lycra lad prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit.

Yesterday I happened to have one of them suddenly appear in front of me from out of a side street, head down, other end up and pedalling furiously along the road, cycle swinging from side to side as he strove to pick up yet more speed. as there was traffic coming the other way I decided that the safest action would be to stay behind him. out of curiosity I kept pace with him and noted the speed on my car. 28 mph, which will be 8 mph over the speed limit for that particular road in the near future.

If i get caught doing that speed in my car or on my motorbike in a twenty limit I would receive a fine and possibly points on my license, increase in my insurance,but what about a pedal cyclist. Well maybe a fine (but more likely a warning if they get pulled up at all), no points on the license as they don't need one for a cycle, and certainly no increase in their insurance as they are probably not insured (insurance for a cycle not being required by law).

A tad unfair methinks :twisted:

Egbert, and of course drivers set a good example and behave in a courteous manner to other road users AND conform to the speed limit and traffic lights? :roll:
By and large they do yes. TRaffic lights in partiular are obeyed well over 99% of the time, unless you're trying to sya there's a rash of red light jumpers, which would clearly be false.

Cyclists meanwhile spend most of their time ignoring the laws of the road, especially at traffic lights, so much so that when you actually see one pull up at a set and wait like they are supposed to, it's seen as highly unusual.

You obviously haven't spent any time at the Knutsford Rd lights prior to going over the Bridge.

Not only do they jump the red light but some get in the Mersey St lane and cut across ALL the lanes to go to Bank Quay.

Cyclists meanwhile spend most of their time ignoring the laws of the road, especially at traffic lights, so much so that when you actually see one pull up at a set and wait like they are supposed to, it's seen as highly unusual.

You obviously haven't spent any time at the Knutsford Rd lights prior to going over the Bridge.

Not only do they jump the red light but some get in the Mersey St lane and cut across ALL the lanes to go to Bank Quay.

Go Sowf of tha riva? You're 'avin a giraffe mate! :wink:

Indeed it is Obs and good job one of them at least has brains eh.

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/10260/1/Council-criticised-over-20mph-City-/Page1.html

As for the 'conference' well I've already said what I think under the news story so I wont repeat myself as no-one will listen anyway :lol: :

What noise does a gunea pig make is it a grunt or a squeak ?

wait til this council try and implement 20 on all warrington roads....if they dare.

They will do wahl..... and unless someone does something to stop this madness it will happen sooner than we think now that they have voted for the first round.

It has happened in a few towns, despite the fact that statistics show little or no effect on accident rates etc. and a lot of people see it as a waste of money because it is unenforceable in a lot of cases....