20 mph

vic

• 2 weeks later...

How bizarre.... part of Oxford County Councils 'New Headington Transport Improvements scheme' to make the area’s roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists and to deter drivers from using side roads as rat runs .

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/yourtown/oxford/9556638.Double_yellow_lines_leave_residents_baffled/

...and even more bizarre two days after that report comes this....they have now removed them but the wont say how much it cost and how much money was wasted.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/headlines/9561863.Double_yellow_lines_are_blacked_out/

bonkers :lol:

I had to laugh when I read someone having a go at a poster for saying there was no such thing as a rat run..... he comes back with the phrase "just because of the fact certain behaviour isn't illegal doesn't stop it being selfish and antisocial"..... and the name that this was posted under????

Muesli..... now don't that just tell you something?? :D

• 2 weeks later...

3rd Annual 20mph Places Conference

1 May 2012

London

Two acclaimed conferences entitled “The 20mph City” were organised by PTRC with 20s Plenty for Us in 2009 and 2011. Today, 20mph speed limits are increasingly being implemented in villages and towns across the UK. We have renamed this event to “The 20 mph Places” Conference in recognition that slower speeds contribute to a sense of “Place”. More than just a space, great places to live, work or play are characterised by vibrant communities who respect each other’s rights to get around safely.

I think Rod should put on a bus to get us there.

the ass king is there speaking to the people who like to waste public money.

Standard Fee: £215 + VAT or one sign

held in transport museum so they can look at ancient history to determine the red flags to be agreed by the eu parliament and imposed by the hmg imposers. note the flags need redesigning to incorporate the eu logo probably in a deeper shade of red subtly included in the middle.

lots of scope for freebies for certain people?

the ass king is there speaking to the people who like to waste public money.

Standard Fee: £215 + VAT or one sign

Oooh that has rattled my normal calm self Wahl. (PS you could probably get more than one sign for £215 though)

It isn't you that has rattled me by the way but the conference has after I googled it and the cahrges you mentione and found the info 'leaflet'. :evil:

If the emphasis of all this is supposed to all be about road safety and supposidly saving lives blah blah blah as we are led to believe then why the bloody hell are 'interested parties' being CHARGED to attend the conference.

Surely it should be FREE and who exactly gets to keep the money paid by attendees... I guess is the PTRC Training Company is it :evil:

A Standard Fee of £215 + VAT is extortionate and like I already said it should be FREE.

(note the cost is reduced though if your are a CILT Member (whatever one of those is) or a Conference Partner to £175 + VAT.... and they 'kindly' have a Charity Rate: £99 + VAT. :evil:

Just a money making exercise for those running it (ie PRTC) IMO with none of it seemingly being put towards road safety changes and implementation costs.

Like you also said Wahl (but not in so many words)... nothing more than a day out 'paid for by someone else' with freebies a load of handshakes, exhibitions and advertisers (who also have to pay too by the way) and probably a load of normal conference type twaddle and brainwashing.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has applied to speak or have a stand at the conference who is actually AGAINST the idea in any way and/or has questions or facts which counteract the 'facts and findings' of those in support.... and also whether they have been accepted <_< .

I'm probably being harsh but I still don't think the 20 rollout around here will work or make any difference at all. It would be nice if it did but in harsh reality it wont :cry:

• 3 months later...

another tranche of traffic sign graffitti about to be unleashed. carefully hidden on wbc web site with no cointact details. no public notice just more sneaky politics.

During this period starting from 26 July 2012 anyone wishing to make representation in support or objection to the proposals must be in writing either by post to Jo Nugent of Legal Services or delivered by hand to the council offices at Buttermarket Street by 16 August 2010 and all objections must specify the grounds on which they are made.

carefully hidden on web site...no electronic addresses for email objections...etc

another waste of time and money for useless signage that nobody can monitor nor obey.

thanks again wbc for a waste of tax thanks too to clr dirir who masterminds this but cannot produece and emergency route for traffic through warrington when there are delays at thelwall.

at is obvious the current signs are a waste of money just check on the speed of traffic on winmarleigh street esp police cars.

scrap this plan and spend the money repairing roads including museum street.

I couldn't find 'it' (whatever it was) on the council's website last night either but I presume you may have been referring to what's now on the front page news Wahl. :blink:

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/13591/1/Council-rolls-out-20mph-speed-limts/Page1.html

If not can you give another clue please :huh:

Well the one place that Rod King always uses as an example of the way a city can impliment a blanket 20mph speed limit seems to be having a few problems with it all....... serious accidents have actually gone up by over 50%

"THERE have been calls for a rethink of Portsmouth’s 20mph zones after figures showed a big jump in the number of serious injuries.

The government’s Department for Transport has released data on the number of people killed or seriously hurt which shows a 57 per cent increase last year from 2010.

It reveals the city had the second largest rise of any in the UK – behind only St Helens which showed a jump of 62 per cent."

Oops..... looks like some councillors may end up with egg on their faces after this one and Rod may be responsible for championing legislation that actually injures more children, old people and disabled people (If you have read Rods post on the news pages... you will understand that bit!)

Full article is here...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/business/local-business/20mph-limits-in-firing-line-after-rise-in-accidents-1-4027011

and it appears to be the same story in York.... this is the link to a local Lib Dem councillors website which states the DpT data shows an increase in not only serious accidents, but also an increase in deaths from 4 to 11 (comparing 2010 with 2011)....

http://dringhousesandwoodthorpeward.mycouncillor.org.uk/2012/07/08/big-increase-in-road-deaths-in-york/

The final paragraphs say it all really:

"The DpT report also makes gloomy reading for those who believe that 20 mph speed limits may be the solution to the problem. The biggest increase in accident numbers nationally occurred in 20 mph zones where there were 25% more accidents than in 2010.

All other built up areas – with speed limits of 30 and 40 mph – showed a small fall in accident rates."

As St Helen's did not implement wide area 20mph speed limits at the same time as Portsmouth then it is clear that there are many factors that can result in an increase in KSI's.

The KSI figures for each also are for roads which are not set at 20mph. We look forward to a full anlaysis of the locations of all the casualties in Portsmouth and then will be able to make an informed judgement.

Of course in Warrington a substantial reduction in casualties was found when the pilots were conducted when compare with other parts of the town.

In the meantime I am pleased that the DfT have just published a proposal to make implementing 20mph speed limits even easier and cheaper for local authorities. It also suggest 40mph for many rural roads.

The Transport Select Committee also came out in favour of multi-agency (ie Public Health) involvement in implementing 20mph limits.

Recently New York decided to add 13 new wide-area 20mph zones to the city. Paris is implementing a 30kph (18.5mph) limit on some arterial road sections and Southend is implementing average speed cameras for some 20mph limit roads. Northern Ireland is considering it for all residential roads.

Best regards

Rod

and it appears to be the same story in York.... this is the link to a local Lib Dem councillors website which states the DpT data shows an increase in not only serious accidents, but also an increase in deaths from 4 to 11 (comparing 2010 with 2011)....

http://dringhousesandwoodthorpeward.mycouncillor.org.uk/2012/07/08/big-increase-in-road-deaths-in-york/

The final paragraphs say it all really:

"The DpT report also makes gloomy reading for those who believe that 20 mph speed limits may be the solution to the problem. The biggest increase in accident numbers nationally occurred in 20 mph zones where there were 25% more accidents than in 2010.

All other built up areas – with speed limits of 30 and 40 mph – showed a small fall in accident rates."

The increase in casualties on 20mph roads was because there are many more 20mph roads. Hence overal casualties per mile reduced. And taking note of fatalities in one town from a single year to the next is completeluy unsound because the numbers are so low.

Regards

Rod

The increase in casualties on 20mph roads was because there are many more 20mph roads.

Rod.... I'll be putting that "clutching at straws" picture up if you carry on!!

the overall casualty figures for York show a substantial increase not only in deaths, but also serious casualties..... and that is with a 20mph limit in force on many residential roads..... I thought you said the 20 limits would reduce casualties????

Believe the figures for road deaths have risen this year, particularly high amongst young folk. Could it be they are ignoring all these "safety" signs?

I just read that on the BBC News. It says that road accidents are the main killer of 16 to 24 years olds :cry:

Could that be because more youngsters are driving now though ?

The government are getting a bashing and there are calls for for better driver training to help them stay safe and "Action is required to improve road safety for young drivers, including an independent review of driver training."

It also says that "road deaths might have gone up but - with the exception of last year - the number of people killed or seriously hurt on our roads still remains the lowest since national records began."

Not sure I fully understand that bit :blink:

BBC News report here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18881049#