20 mph

vic

I wonder if this Warrington Worldwide forum topic has ever been named/stated as being a 'form' of local consultation.

45 pages, 899 replies and 34,247 views so far..... crikey is that a record?

And after all that there's still only one person convinced about all the facts and figures and that it's the right decision and WILL work and still only one person speaking out from the supporters corner eh Rod ? :wink::P

• Upvote 1

.... and even the councillors that supposedly support it (or are too afraid of the consequences to vote against it) don't say anything......

I guess it would be nice; now that it has been agreed, for some of them to come on here and explain themselves!!

Firstly, why put something to bed that stimulates such debate? by debating it and pointing out the fact that the whole scheme is a complete waste of money and constantly questioning and asking for information from its champion (Mr King) it means that new visitors to the forum can also realise what a waste it is.....

And it is £750,000 not £150,000!! and remember with the exception of one councillor, EVERY COUNCILLOR voted or agreed with this so at the next election; vote them out.

VOTE AGAINST EVERY SITTING COUNCILLOR REGARDLESS OF WHATEVER PARTY THEY STAND FOR AND SHOW THEM WE DO NOT AGREE WITH THEIR ACTIONS ON THIS AND MANY OTHER MATTERS. VOTE THEM ALL OUT UNTIL THEY UNDERSTAND

It's later than you think Baz !! This is the article in the Guardian that I was referring to. AS for voting councillors out . Dirir may soon be on a free transfer to Halton due to boundary changes. You need to draw abead on the other two councilors mentioned in the article !

TOWN Hall bosses will pump thousands of pounds into bringing in 20mph zones across Warrington within three years.

Following a meeting on Monday, it was agreed that spending will be boosted as chiefs look to halve the time it takes to cut the speed limits on all residential roads in the town.

Councillors hope to get further cash from the Government and housing and land developers.

Clr Linda Dirir, executive board member for transport, announced plans to double the spend from £75,000 to £150,000 a year.

It will halve the time it takes to implement the scheme from an initial decade.

The announcement comes in the same week that councillors agreed a £14million package of budget cuts.

Clr Dirir (LAB – Penketh and Cuerdley) told an executive board meeting: “To pay for this roll out at £75,000 a year would take 10 years to complete.

“That was a worst case scenario.

“We can confidently say we can deliver this in five years by increasing the amount of money from the local transport plan.”

Councillors had already voted in favour of introducing 20mph speed limits on most roads in the town at a cost of £740,000.

The change will only be on residential roads – not main routes.

It follows pilot schemes in Orford, Great Sankey and the town centre.

Council leader Clr Terry O’Neill (LAB – Burtonwood and Winwick) said: “This is an essential part of making our communities safer and that is why we are looking to bring it in quicker.”

And at the Town Hall meeting Clr Dirir spoke of the council’s hope to reduce the five-year period further by using money from the Local Sustainable Transport Fund and extras from Section 106 agreements with property developers.

They hope to have the 20mph rolled out across the borough in three years with the extra funding to bring the council in line with other authorities introducing similar schemes.

Clr Russ Bowden (LAB – Birchwood) added: “This is about enhancing safety in the community and opening up road use for pedestrians and cyclists.”

I just don't understand this nonsense...."opening up road use for pedestrians"

Pedestrians belong on bloody footpaths.... that is what they are there for. What next, 30 limits on motorways in case some cyclist or other such half wit wants to walk down the fast lane??

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand this nonsense...."opening up road use for pedestrians"

Pedestrians belong on bloody footpaths.... that is what they are there for. What next, 30 limits on motorways in case some cyclist or other such half wit wants to walk down the fast lane??

Exactly! :unsure: but, given some cyclists insist on riding their machines on the footpaths, pedestrians may well be forced to walk on the bloody roads instead.- I have even witnessed a car being driven some distance (by a doctor no less) on a footpath and in Orford (Honister Ave.,) there is one driver who every day parks his/her car on the pavement, completely blocking the pavement and without lights. It's downright dangerous because pedestrians are forced to step onto the road to pass it and several times I have almost walked into it in the dark. :angry:

but surely a lot cheaper to address the isolated car drivers who behave like dicks rather than waste £750000 putting signs up everywhere and causing more obstructions to blind and partially sighted people

You would think so eh as these d's will still be driving like d's even if they have a 20/30/40 sign or image of a kid being run over welded to the front of their cars in their eye line to remind them they are d's and what they could do.

I really don't know what the answer is and it just frustrates me that certain people think this is definately 'IT'. The exec board have approved it but they handed the reigns to the officers after the pilot study who inturn looked into it and advised them accordingly with their final 'recommendation' (after input from various consultees and a little threat of legal liability too.

Someone said to me today that if kids grow up in a town where there are blanket 20 limits on all side roads they could actually grow up with less road sense than those who have grown up with faster limits and who are taught more about the actual dangers. Not sure if I agree with that or not but it did make me wonder.

Cllr Kevin Reynolds at 21 Feb 2012 9:42:20 AM UTC Cllr Kevin Reynolds ( Author)

said this on 21 Feb 2012 9:42:20 AM UTC

I do feel that the town at this present time has greater priorities and that this money would be better spent on keeping the likes of Woodlea Care Home open. Or it could be used to fill the £150K shortfall on flood defence. I fully understand the safety aspect and we should be responsible when on the road but Common sense must be used because let's face it the average speed around town must be about 15 to 18 MPH.

(Reply to this comment)

Thats 2 councillors think 20's a crock.Only 55 more councillors to go !!

Blummin' heck Cleo.....Sod the 20's P ....I'm now trying to figure out how on earth you can see the parked car every day on Honister Ave (Orford) let alone how on earth you have almost walked into it on several occassions. :unsure::shock::wink:

Diz, Cleos right. I looked on Street View this morning and again tonight and there's a car parked on the pavement and it has never moved.

25 Honister Avenue

:wink:

Blummin' heck Cleo.....Sod the 20's P ....I'm now trying to figure out how on earth you can see the parked car every day on Honister Ave (Orford) let alone how on earth you have almost walked into it on several occassions. :unsure::shock::wink:

Dizzy, I have not resided in Egypt all the time lovie. Sometimes I resided in Warrington, alternating between the two locations. :wink:

Diz, Cleos right. I looked on Street View this morning and again tonight and there's a car parked on the pavement and it has never moved.

25 Honister Avenue

:wink:

It's not 25 Honister. It's one of the houses around 74/78, just past the bend. on the opposite side between Bentham and Appleby. The car fits the full pavement, maybe 2 or 3 inches of pavement on either side of it. It does sometimes move, when the owner is going somewhere.

Mmmmm...ponder over on my part for the sake of keeping a serious topic on track and not taking it off on a tangent. Rod may well be impressed and grateful if we do 'divert' it though :unsure::wink:

Is that area now a 20mph limit though as it is in Orford ?

Yeah but to say one driver still parks dangerously there everyday means that you may have sneaked over recently without telling us. Why do you keep calling me 'lovie' by the way :unsure::lol:

I didn't say still, but, they did when last I was in Uk (maybe still does. I don't know. A lot could happen in a short time).

No idea about the speed limit in Orford these days but let me tell you of an incident that happened one time.

I was crossing the road on Poplars Ave., one day I was well on the zebra crossing with a car approaching. Instead of braking the silly bitch accelerated then slammed on her brakes, ending up just a centimetre or two away from hitting me. I saw her face go white as she gasped and threw her hands up before apologising.

:blink: It's just an expression lovie, don't worry about it. It's not the worse thing you could be called lovie! :lol::lol:

Mmmmm...ponder over on my part for the sake of keeping a serious topic on track and not taking it off on a tangent. Rod may well be impressed and grateful if we do 'divert' it though :unsure::wink:

Is that area now a 20mph limit though as it is in Orford ?

Diz, if you look at the link I posted you will see a 20mph sign post next to the car parked on the pavement.