Double Glazing - recommend or warn ?

Dizzy

Hi odd question but it seems the norm on here at the moment.

But has anyone had their windows or doors changed lately by either a national or local company and if so would you recommend or warn against the company who did it from your experiences ?

Questions........

Were they reasonably priced ?

Good to deal with ?

Did they stick to timescales ?

Were the windows/doors good quality ?

Were they fitted well ?

Did they make much mess?

and if you had any problems what was the pre/after care service like ?

etc etc erc

Obviously you can openly tell me the answers to the above but possibly better if you don't actually name the company on the forum incase that's classed as advertising (or libel if you slag them off :lol: ) ..... and I'll be in trouble :shock::wink:

You could PM (private message) me their actual name instead.

Reason for asking is my dad wants new windows but having looked at all the obvious companies advertising on the web and TV and reading reviews it's hard to know who's good and who's not.

We have already ruled out those offering the ?2500 government windows scrapage scheme as apparently it DOES NOT exist and is just a marketing ploy to make you believe you are getting a bargain :evil::roll:

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :D

Dizzy, I did my own and my mates house and my mums doors..... it is a doddle and was about 65% cheaper than any quote we had and I could easily do three or four windows a day.

Bought the windows from that nice place on Liverpool Road, they delivered and that was that

You don't even need to be particularly handy either (but it helps a bit!!)

Baz

Thanks Baz but I'm not sure we could do it ourselves as two of the windows are bay windows and he has a bay at the back with french doors. Also you wouldn't get me up a ladder :lol:

PETER you cheeky bugger !!!!!

I'll have you know that I removed my dads old kitchen window, built up 3 courses of brickwork (well he did 2 and I did 1 :wink: ) and I fitted his one and only double glazed window (after he had drilled the holes :wink: ). The only bit I really struggled with was fitting the internal plastic window beading that held the glass inplace as I couldn't bend it :roll::P

I also cut his new worksurface and connected new plumbing to fit his new kitchen sink. Pictures can be provided it you don't believe me. I'm not completely stupid and useless you know :wink::P

Anyway back to the original question in a way......

He has just had a well known company round (who have a really annoying advert) and although he wont have a price until tomorrow the sales rep informed him that the window WE fitted last year is ILLEGAL. Reason as from 2002 by law you have had to have a ENSSA Certificate or you can be forced to remove your window at a later date if you don't have one !?!??!??!?

Truth or fib? Google here I come.......... :lol:

Googled it and its actually called a FENSA Certificate.

Would seem that you DO need one if you have replaced any doors or windows since 2002 but probably only if you ever come to sell your house.

It's to prove that your new windows and doors comply with current Building Regulations and that they have been installed by an installer registered with Fensa or a similar body.

If however you chose to use an unregistered company or go for the DIY option :D then you apparently have to get full Local Authority Building Control approval and a certificate of approval from them. :shock: God forbid :shock::lol:

Warning says the Fensa website..... All Local Authorities will know of the registered businesses in their areas and can identify unauthorised work very easily. It should be noted that the homeowner is ultimately responsible for ensuring the installation complies with these requirements.

and what's it all for.... it's not for safety or anything like that IT'S ALL TO DO WITH MEETING GLOBAL ENERGY SAVING TARGETS !!!!

What next... will they start monitoring what paint we use for decoration, what garden plants we have, how often we turn our lights on an off... or worse still who doesn't use less gas/elec after having double glazing installed :lol:

Just thought I'd say thanks in public to Wingy :D:lol:

The company you recomended Wingy will be fitting the double glazing.

Excellent service so far and only a little bit dearer than the company, who shall remain nameless, who had a very strange sales technique and 'final price' calculation method :lol::roll::wink:

Just thought I'd say thanks in public to Wingy :D:lol:

The company you recomended Wingy will be fitting the double glazing.

Excellent service so far and only a little bit dearer than the company, who shall remain nameless, who had a very strange sales technique and 'final price' calculation method :lol::roll::wink:

You need to get them advertising with us "as recommended by warrington-worldwide readers!" :wink:

Never thought of that..... I'll mention it when they come back to fit them providing they do as good a job as they have done so far in the 'pre' stages :wink::lol:

..........although there are only 2 of us on here recomending them at the moment as the rest of you don't know who we are talking about :shock::lol: