Cuts -

observer

- could the Government's fervour for spending cuts become a form of National self mutilation? Cut public services = more unemployment = more demand for benefits and less tax take = desperation and crime = social anarchy without the numbers of police (cos they've been sacked too) to keep a lid on it. :shock:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it could.

hopefully it won't come down to that but it could happen.

so rather than apportion blame to government either this one, the previous one or the next one. what can we do to alleviate the problem.

looking for somebody to blame does not solve the problem it merely wastes time that could be better spent.

i have no solution that is practical, lacking the knowledge of running a country, it would be pointless for me to say this is what we should do.

yes i could say we should do this or we should not do that but in the end it all comes down to who pays for it. no matter what solution is put forward there will always be a downside to it and it will always be governed by the cost, either in monetary terms or in inconvenience to the people.

like most people i will probably complain that the latest ideas are harmful as i will be thinking along the lines of how does this affect me now. the trick is to look ahead and try to see how will this affect me in five years time. will i be better off then even if it means i will be slightly worse off for the interim.

oh well time for a break from thinking too much, my brain is starting to overheat and it is too early in the morning for things like that. :?

The problem is Pierre (as I've said as nauseum) is, that our political system doesn't lend itself to long term thinking or planning, either by the elected or the electors - we basically live for the moment within the life cycle of each Parliament. We sleep walked into this scenario with a Government that put it's Party interests (to get elected) above the general long term interests of the Nation - bit like the parent who won't say "NO" to his kids, and uses the visa card to get them them what the want, when they want it - thus eventually sinking into the reality of debt. As for the present crisis: Keynesian economics and the experience of the '30s and '40s, suggests that one needs to spend one's way out of a depression by stimulating growth, it's a difficult balancing act, as at face value, this would seem to worsen the debt. The '45 Atlee Government inherited a Nation ravaged by war with historic social injustice, inequality and poverty. However, with a US loan that took 60 years to pay back; they not only cleared up the mess, but arguably brought in social reforms (like the NHS), that in terms of a legacy surpass anything else in our history. SO, it can be done, unlike in '45 however, we can't borrow off the Yanks, as they and the rest of the world are in the same pickle; so whilst maintaining the long term aim of balancing the books (and ensuring this never happens again), by a war on waste and frivolous expenditure, we need to maintain our social infrastructure (police etc) and invest in those areas of economic activity that will provide growth (above our competitors) in the future. :shock:

Not a question of "going back" ASP; merely one of learning from history. Fairness in society is a matter of principle, regardless of the economics or period in history. One only has to view the richest Nation on Earth, to identify in the midst of all that wealth lies a swathe of poverty. :cry:

Your right of course Silv; man is ultimately a selfish animal, like all animals bent on personal survival and wellbeing. This suggests, that some form of authoritive coersion is required to make folk "do the right" thing, the problem to date has been, that those in authority havn't practised what they preached! :cry:

Fairness in society can only happen when people put others first, not themselves. How do we turn the tide on that?

The problem is SL; that the scum and dregs of society that carry out the majority of crimes also only think about themselves and their drink and drugs habits. They have no care for anyone else so why should the rest of us.

We have seen many times how charity is thrown back in the faces of those who try to help the underpriviliged.....

Errm, "Democracy" - is that when you hold a referendum - don't get the right answer - so keep having referenda until the voters vote the right way?! :?:roll: The EU is a beaurocratic monolith, swimming in corruption at the top, draining us of our money to fill the begging bowls of new entrants, in order to create an economic super-power (Europa) to counter other continental super-powers (read Orwell's 1984 to imagine where that will eventually take us). :shock: