17% rise for the old Bill.

observer

UK consumer inflation reached its highest level in nine months last month, due to a new method for calculating energy bills.

The Office for National Statistics said the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) hit 2.5% on an annual basis in February, up from 2.2% in January.

But without the change in methodology, the figure would have remained at 2.2%.

Retail Prices Index inflation, which includes mortgage interest payments, remained the same at 4.1% last month.

But core inflation, which excludes oil and food, fell to 1.2% in February, the lowest level since August 2006.

BBC News Today:

However which way you calculate it, it still isnt anywhere near 17%.

Ah, now what the police authority will say in their defence, is that their central government funding is far lower than other forces and they need the extra to provide the service that we all are asking for. If central government and the judiciary stopped asking for so much paperwork then maybe more police would be able to get back on the beat. Mind you, not sure how many of the newer crop really want to do that. :wink:

Absolute disgrace. The only thing this extra money is paying for is police pensions and fuel rises for the police cars that they all drive round in.

As has been said, if the outgoings (what with gas, electric, water, phone bills, poll tax and christ knows what else) going up and yet income is stagnant, how the hell do the bloody trough snufflers expect us to afford to pay for it all?

I did ask a while back for one of the pet councillors to come on here and explain how they all expect us to continue to pay these daft increases...... but no answer as yet.

BLOODY COWARDS THE LOT OF THEM. Come and knock on my door if you dare or stand outside my polling station in Westbrook and prepare for the abuse I can guarantee you will get!?

Paul,

In my eyes, everyone of them is a crook and a thief. We have reductions in services, reductions in Police services and get charged more for the bloody privilage. I can't keep upping my costs to my customers so that I can pay myself more so how can they justify it?

I like the idea of what some are saying.... whoever your councillor is, vote against them and vote them out of office; regardless of their political persuasion.

Lets have a complete shakeup and get rid of the rotten lot of them

• 2 weeks later...

web page

WAHL - The attached link provides you with the official government press release. Local Authorities (inc the Cheshire Police Service) were notified that the government expected council tax levels to be under 5% (This has been the case for the last few years).

Where an authority breaches this figure (or the budget requirement) the Secretary of State can use powers to cap the 'offending' authority.

The vast majority of local authorities heed the advice and set budgets within the guidelines. Cheshire Police now have a period of 21 days to make their case to HMG. If they are unsuccessful the government will cap their budget leading to a revised budget and each council tax payer in Cheshire will be issued with a new bill by their respective council.

This is costly and calls in to question the Police Authorities judgement given they know exactly what course of action lay ahead if they breached the 'capping' guidelines.

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

The police authority set their own levy which WBC collects for them. If I recall correctly Cllr Peter Walker - currently Hatton, Stretton & Walton is the WBC rep ( Deputy Chairman - ?10,000 per annum)on the Authority. So maybe he is the chap you need to "discuss" the matter with.

Paul, Is this the same Cllr Walker with whom you will contest the Hatton, Stretton & Walton seat?

[ 01.04.2008, 08:11: Message edited by: Cllr Paul Kenny ]

The current Police Authority came into being as a result of Local Government Re-Organisation in 1974, which created a Cheshire Constabulary, run by a Cheshire County Council. :D The whole re-organised set up is a dog's breakfast, with unelected magistrates being appointed to the PA, indirect delegation from the Local Authorities etc. :roll: The budget for the Police Authority should have been reported back to WBC by our articulate delegates, debated, and if they wished; challenged and publicised. :roll:

Originally posted by Cllr Paul Kenny:

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

The police authority set their own levy which WBC collects for them. If I recall correctly Cllr Peter Walker - currently Hatton, Stretton & Walton is the WBC rep ( Deputy Chairman - ?10,000 per annum)on the Authority. So maybe he is the chap you need to "discuss" the matter with.

Paul, Is this the same Cllr Walker with whom you will contest the Hatton, Stretton & Walton seat?
Indeed he is Paul. :D

[ 01.04.2008, 13:24: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]