Hostage Rescue?

observer

To be serious for one minute, personally I wouldn't be so stupid and selfish as to put myself in a position where I would need to be rescued and thereby putting the lives of my rescuers in danger too.....

Remember that doddery old sod Norman whatsisname who got captured in Iraq and was rescued by the SAS and didn't even have the grace and dignity to say thanks..... I'd have given him back to his captors and let him go the same way as Ken Bigly

These do-gooding aid workers annoy me.... they think they have a right to go swanning off into war zones to preach their nonsense and hand out packets of biscuits without any thought for the consequences

Well that silly woman who just got killed went out handing out medicines...... look where it got her. It could have ended up with even more dead but thankfully the soldiers were safe and the ragheads took a beating.

People like her should have their passports taken away. Stick the aid on a plane and throw it out of the back or on an aid truck driven by locals if you really must give the stuff away

Prevention: the first method of avoiding becoming a hostage or indeed any other situation rquiring rescue; is NOT to enter a high risk enviroment in the first place - so Baz is correct. Whether it's Afghanistan, Africa, potholing or mountain climbing - just don't go there. :roll:

Assessing risk is a natural gift, with some being more tuned to their abilities and training within a given enviroment. Generally, younger (fitter) folk tend to have a higher risk threshold than older (more experienced) grumpies. In life, you will get "risk takers" who through training or practise have stretched the boundaries (Evil Kanevil etc), but you also have a mass of clueless incompetants who stumble into situations where they are completely outside their depth of experience or training. Whether it's some do gooder in the midst of a war torn third world Country or some wannabee hill walker, who ignores the rules or professional advice, and gets stuck in the mire. They then cause the need for other (professional) folk, to enter the "risk zone" to get them out. Been there - got the T-shirts. :wink:

The only long term solution to a hostage situation is the "zero/zero" option.

If zero hostages survive that's acceptable, so long as zero captors and those who have conspired with them survive also.

If ANY hostages survive action taken against their captors then that's just a bonus.

As others have said, those who've been taken hostage knew and accepted the risks when they went in-country. If we applied zero/zero then the number of hostage taking incidents would fall off dramatically.

Won't argue with your thesis, other than to challenge it's conclusion - any set of terrorists that believe dying is a route to paradise, won't be detered by the certainty of death, so the production line would continue. The solution is to eliminate the mickey mouse theology that motivates these nutters in the first place. :wink:

Mickey Mouse theology, is the brainwashing of young minds into believing that something lies beyond our existence on this planet, a usefull tool invented by the ruling classes to ensure the lower orders tolerate their condition on the promise of something better. (The opiate of the people). This is magnified by the promise of paradise and the attentions of virgins for those dying in a Jihad. :roll: