Bin collections cease!

observer

I think you are all worrying about nothing because what none of you realise is that we are all asleep and all this is a dream. You don't really think that bin collections will have changed that much in 10 years do you? .... that they will close Woolston High School?.... I mean come on, you will be telling me that they have got rid of a perfectly good roundabout in Westbrook next and put traffic lights there that really mess up the traffic :D

.....what....what do you mean I am awake??

OH MY GOD, THIS COUNCIL HAS GONE MAD!! SURELY THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING?? AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

Originally posted by Bill:

I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with these stupid stupid laws, the people that make them and the people that just lie down and accept them. I?ve lived in this country all my life but I?m seriously beginning to consider moving out because I just don?t want to be part of it anymore. :)

no we need to stand up and change them again.

the thing is, you never see the stupidity being reversed by the next set government.

they charge more for less service, then sell us again through another tax the same service we used to have.

bins is a prime example, once bin men used to walk up our paths, carry bins on thier backs, to the dust cart.

scrap metal men and rag and bone men used to come round and PAY YOU to take unwanted stuff away (and recycle I hasen to add).

then they remove some of the service, bin men virualy want you to tip it in the cart for them and thats provided your bin has a closed lid coreect contents for its colour, is corectly situated in the street and has wheels and hande facing the road.

the private rag n bones, and "ayole irn" men have been regulated and taxed out of existance by green legislation....when they were the first people to actualy recycle..

you get charged christ knows how much for this vastly reduced service and then they want to introduce additional charges for those people who actualy have the ordasity to throw out their rubbish.

but sure enough vote them out and will the next government reverse this ludicracy or merely build on it to their own gain...we already know the answer.

Yes that?s all correct. I think what we?ve had has been a very slow drip, drip type change that over time has become the accepted norm. But standing back and comparing the service that we have now with what we used to have and the differences are amazing as you point out.

Is it my imagination or has the fundamental point of the council changed from being a service provider to the community into a rule making and enforcing organisation? Giving stop and search powers to council employees really is going just too far down this road and as a society we need to say enough! They need to stop telling us how they?re going to penalise us and just take our bloody bins away.

Bill :)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone read the article in the Gardian about how the council are NOT going to adopt the chip and bin system where your charged by the weight of the junk in your bin? Well hidden in amongst the wording there seems to be a mega important bit of news for all those people like myself who are so peed off at having to be an unpaid recycling operative.

The report said that the council is considering introducing a kerbside collection scheme for ?dry? recyclable items like glass, cardboard, metal etc. where it will all be simply taken away and sorted somewhere else. Seems if the plan gets the go ahead, I could have my garden shed back sometime next year!

Bill :)

A recycled thread! just doin my bit. :wink:

I did see it and it sounds a good idea, I manage to fill a black recycling box each week with plastic & glass so it will save me taking it to Morrisons each Saturday.

On the original point, given it would be electoral suicide on behalf of the L/Ds not to say there will be no "bin tax", it might be interesting to see if that remains their decision after 1st May 2008...if as they hope, they have an overall majority and given of course there will be no further council elections until May 2010. :wink:

Peter

We took a whole van load of assorted junk down there recently, tons of the stuff and we parked next to a woman in a Nissan Micra who was sorting stuff between a carrier bad and a small cardboard box.

She was there when we arrived and still there when we left and the total amount she recycled was less than a carrier bag full. She thinks she?s saving the planet, I think she?s missing a point. :)