How deep is something you cannot see the bottom of?

Sue Durnim

How deep is something you cannot see the bottom of, for example a ships crew used to test the depth of water with a stone and rope etc, but at what stage of testing for depth will the weight of the rope pull the remainder of the rope downwards to the bottom, thus confusing the person trying to find out how deep it is?....if you catch my drift?

Or looked at another way, how high will a balloon fly before the weight of the string causes it not to go any higher. Suppose in both cases it depends on the pull exerted to keep the string taught. If the weight of the string in water exceeded the actual weight being used, then yes, you could end up with the proverbial bottomless pit.

Bill :)

That's my day ruined as those two questions will frustrate me now :lol::lol:

I spent all last night wondering why chickens have wings when they don't fly.... and all because I saw someone showing how to cook them on a TV programme :oops::roll::?

I know penguins have wings too and don't fly but they use them for swimming... chickens don't swim either :?

depth testing by rope on a ship.

the rope was a set length longer than the depth of the keel.

for example if the keel was six feet below the surface the rope might be twelve feet longer plus the height to the deck or rail.

if the rope passed this mark without going slack then there was plenty of water under the keel. if it went slack then they knew that there was less than two fathoms below and to take care in case they grounded.

height of a balloon with a string.

if the string is not attached to any weight then the gas in the balloon will make it rise until the internal pressure ruptures the balloon. if the weight of the string was equal to the lifting capacity of the balloon then the balloon would not rise. if it was greater than the lifting weight of the balloon the balloon would fall until the weight of string it had to support was equal to the lifting capacity. the rest of the string being supported by the ground.

chicken wings.

if you have ever tried to chase a chicken then you will realise that they can fly short distances but cannot maintain a sustained flight more of an assisted hop. this is due either to a high body mass or the fact they are lazy little tykes.

wonder if moon gravity would enable them to fly for any great distance?

chicken wings.

if you have ever tried to chase a chicken then you will realise that they can fly short distances but cannot maintain a sustained flight more of an assisted hop. this is due either to a high body mass or the fact they are lazy little tykes.

wonder if moon gravity would enable them to fly for any great distance?

You would think that as they evolved they would have either got rid of their useless little 'hoppy' wings all together or grown larger ones to enable them to fly better.

Maybe captivity is the problem as lets face it you hardly ever see wild chickens..... has this affected the natural progression and adaptation of chickens that has also been evident in other species over many years ?

Maybe they used to fly like birds but have no need to anymore so their wings have reduced in size but the gene/cells that makes them still exists... just like we have an appendix... we don't need it but it still grows :?

Thanks for putting my mind at rest about the rope and balloon though :lol:

not sure if there are still any wild chickens about. they originated from india/asia where they were first domesticated.

there are probably plenty of feral chickens knocking about though.

that being siad some of the ones i have come across in my time have been pretty wild when you are trying to round them up to get them inside :shock::shock:

:lol: While we are still talking about chickens............... :lol:

A Hedgehog and a Chicken are waiting to cross the road, The hedgehog say to the to the chicken, how come you always manage to cross without getting squashed?

The Chicken replies, Well when you start to cross if you hear a car coming you have two options! First is to run as fast as you can, or second is to crouch down in the middle of the lane and let the car pass over you!

The hedgehog asks the chicken to demonstrate, and which he agrees!

As the chicken crosses the road a car comes round the corner, the chicken runs as fast as he can, and safely reaches the other side of the road!

The hedgehog is really impressed and as the chicken calls to him from the other side of the road agrees to take his turn he takes a deep breath and starts to cross the road.

As he does a car comes around the corner, the hedgehog hearing it crouches down in the middle of the lane only to be squashed flat as a pancake! :cry:

Good lord says the chicken! I never thought I would see another Reliant Robin

:wink:

A man driving fast along a quiet country lane accidentally drove over a cockerel which was standing in the middle of the road.

Ridlled with guilt, he looks about and sees a farmhouse not too far away. He drives to the house, and upon knocking on the door is met by the woman of the house.

He says, 'I'm terribly sorry but I just drove over and killed one of your cockerels that was on the road not too far from here. If possible I'd like to replace it.'

The lady replies, 'Suit yourself, the hens are at the back of the house.' :wink:

and finally...

Seeing her young chick run out into a busy road, the mother hen said, "If your father saw you do that he's turn over in his gravy." :lol:

dizz i was going to cry fowl thinking that your post should be in the jokes section, but after re reading them maybe the history section would have been more appropriate :?:lol::lol:8):twisted:

so back to things to keep you awake at night. (thinking that is.)

last night for instance i was wondering how a spider can manage to spin a length of thread across a twelve foot gap from roof to roof in my back. this then got me to wondering what length of thread went into making a web, which in turn then led me to wonder what length of thread a spider will spin during it's lifetime.

so the next time i see a largsish spiders web in the yard i will have a go at measuring it and see if i can work at least one of those answers out.

Great minds must think alike Evils although I have no idea how much thread there is in a web... yet :lol:

I was wondering about the huge spider who has his/her web from our connifer to the middle of our washing line a good 4 foot away. I've cleared the web a few times but it just rebuilds it.

To get to the point on the washing line where the web is attached to the connifer it would have to

1 climb down the connifer...

2 cross the yard....

3 climb a wall...

4 and walk half way down the washing line

5 and re-attach the web at the correct point

How clever is that as not only must it know where it has to go and how to get there but like you say it doesn't leave a huge trail of thread behind it on it's route either.

Nature is a wonderful thing but not so great that you want it pottering about near your washing.... waht if it gets into a sock or a pair of undies by accident :lol::shock: Here's what it was upto on the 30th Sept :shock:

DSC03402-1.jpg