Another pound shop

Egbert

The arrival of yet another pound shop in the town centre illustrates all too clearly, I fear, what Warrington's problem is.

Despite all the efforts of successive councils, the development corporation, etc, we are still seen as a clothcap working class town.

When new shops open here they are usually from the bottom end of the market. The few quality shops that have ventured in usually close soon after.

What is it about us? Are we seen as no hopers.

I am not the first to observe that we need quality shops. Until we get them, nothing will change. In fact, I fear the town centre is already in irreversible, terminal decline.

On a brighter note, does three pound shops put us in the running for a place in the Guinness Book of Records?

It is a working class town as shown by the areas of Deprivation in the Inner Wards.

The problem is that certain people in the Town Hall had ideas above their station and wanted Warrington to become a "City".

These delusions set the town back IMO. The town and its residents of all walks of life need to move forward but you need the polticians to help do it. The trouble is that they are too busy ticking boxes and getting Green Flags and other dross, to be aware of the real problems of the Borough.

A coat of paint doesn't remove the cracks, only covers them for a while.

We are tryint to be the 2nd Trafford Centre instead of the First Warrington.

Can't really compare Warringtons Golden Square to the 'everything all under one roof' Trafford Centre as both are completely different.

NOT TO MENTION of course that it is completely FREE to PARK at the Trafford Centre. :wink:

And of course the surrounding area of the Trafford Centre is being enhanced with great attractions like Chill Factore :D Amazing place and if you've never been well worth a visit.

Golden Square on the other hand is just a normal shopping centre surrounded by empy and abandoned retail units, grots and pubs :cry: Would be nice to see some more unusual shops opening in Warrington with more choice as a lot of the existing shops are very much the 'same' leading to a very boring shopping experience :oops:

But back to Egberts original comment of yet another pound shop opening... can't say I'm that bothered really and they all sell the same stuff anyway. Some people seem to like them so I guess there's plenty of room for three and it's better than having another unused space :shock::lol:

but not everybody can afford to shop in the golden square.

i for one can't. especially for clothing. i mean forty quid for a pair of denims that twenty years ago my mam would have cut up for rags they were that badly ripped. but that is the style today.

also some good bargains to be had. three bueno twin packs for a pound when the local shop is flogging them for 68 p each.

so there are now three in town but at least they have a chance of still being around in a year or two unlike a certain shop which didn't last more than two months.

I am not that bothered about pound shops - I agree they are better than empty shops and I know a bargain when I see one myself.

The real point is: Why does Warrington attract three of them but can't attract upmarket shops?

Most towns have areas of deprivation, but we have got good areas too. Do the people of Lymm, Appleton, Grappenhall, Culcheth, etc not shop in Warrington?

Most towns have areas of deprivation, but we have got good areas too. Do the people of Lymm, Appleton, Grappenhall, Culcheth, etc not shop in Warrington?

I doubt it, Warrington is not exactly car friendly.

Even the market seems to be in its death throes due to HIGH rents for stalls. Very little to attract the customers in town, which is very sad. Apart from banks, pubs and Golden Square (which is not disabled friendly), WHAT is there?

This is one of my main gripes with Manchester...the City council spent years objecting to Omega until the project is now virtually dead in the water while at the same time building a shopping centre that was designed to bleed neighbouring town centres dry & lo & behold we now have the regenerated Liverpool to cope with as well.

This is one of my main gripes with Manchester...the City council spent years objecting to Omega until the project is now virtually dead in the water while at the same time building a shopping centre that was designed to bleed neighbouring town centres dry & lo & behold we now have the regenerated Liverpool to cope with as well.

but how do our councillors and town attempt to compete? by sticking a traffic warden on every corner and charging for parking and so pushing the motorist away towards the Manchesters and Liverpools....

Can't see the problem with Warrington being seen as a clothcap working town?

:lol:

The problem, Kev, is that so long as Warrington is seen thus, we won't get quality shops and thus we are forced to go elsewhere to find them.

I don't patronise the Trafford Centre, nor Liverpool One, myself but I had to go to Bramhall to buy a decent tennis raquet because the so-called sports shops in Warrington are only interested in selling tracksuits and trainers to people who probably never play any sport at all.

Pound shops are OK for bargains but Warringtonians are supposed to earn higher than average wages when compared with the rest of the North West so surely we can afford to occasionally pay for a quality product

• 4 weeks later...

After the Pound Shop comes the Pound Lunch shop!

Not actually seen it myself, but I am told it is in Golden Square and is packed.

Now if they are selling SMALL lunches, that's fine. It might mean the average Warringtonian waistband might shrink.

But I suspect the price will be kept down by selling junk food. With the opposite effect on waistbands :roll:

The cheap junk food comes by was of student NUS discount cards :shock: McDonnalds, Pizza Hut, Dominos..... to name but a few all give discounts to students 27/7.

Here's hoping like you say that the ?1 Luch Shop has decent food. Beans and a blob of Pasta maybe or beans and beans with a lettuce leaf :lol:

Might pop in and be pleasantly suprised :D

interesting thought that baz.

i would suppose that a bit of research would be in order to find the optimum length of stick required. and the best way to attach the pies.

pushed through from bottom to top might be the best option as you could then eat them from the edge towards the centre by gently turning the stick. the only problem i could see wit that idea would be that the pies would have a tendency to slide towards the hand and a hot pie on the hand could be a health risk.

if you slid the stick through the side of the pies on this would avoid that problem but bring other problems of cost as you would have to have a square stick so that the pie would not rotate as the weight was distributed to the uneaten side. but might raise the cost as the stick would have to longer to accommodate two pies and enable you to hold both ends of the stick whilst you eat them.

some thought will have to be done for the inclusion of pasties as there seems to be a wide variation in pasty design. from squat with the join running across the top to flat with the join running around the edge.

the stick itself would have to sourced and a decision made as to whether you go for natural wood at the cost of felling trees or a biodegradable material which might save a few trees but could increase the cost making it unrealistic to sell at a reasonable profit.