Health - who's reponsibility?

observer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can blame a whole generation for anything! There will always be some in each generation who will be profligate wih their money but equally (a majority?) who are careful. I was certainly not brought up to spend what I couldn't afford and neither were most of my friends and neighbours. It is the greedy ones who end up with problems.

If people have worked all their lives and now have a pension, which is taxable, that is not something they can or should be made to feel guilty about.

But Kije.... you are still working because I believe you are only in your forties?

Plus, look on the bright side, if you can persuade your dad to invest the money he gets from downsizing, you'll have a nice inheritance to look forward to!

and I don't resent anyone who receives a pension.

Neither do I :!:

As you say you are happy to pay towards there pensions fair enough, but there are not enough people behind me to pay for mine, as they will still be paying for those of your generation that are still alive, as people are living longer :wink:

Your solution is :?:

There is a plan to make all employers pay into a pension scheme for their workers, starting around 2012 for big companies and rolling out over the next few years to everyone. If that happens, there will be less reliance on the state and workers will build up a separate pension for themselves, if that option isn't now available or affordable through work. I thinks this may be a good thing for everyone, but as always, we'll have to wait and see.

The schemes that have been introduced into the private sector are frankly pathetic; and take up has been low - in other words, folk arn't making private arrangements for pension provision, and will presumably be relying on a meagre State pension or asset aquisition for their (now brief) retirement. Even worse, these schemes are reliant on the performance of the stock exchange, and you will recall recent cases of such private schemes going bust. Any examination of private pension schemes will show the high levels of investment necessary, and the longer periods of time required to get even a mediocre pension. Public Sector pension schemes rely on those in work, paying for those that have left, with a top up from the employer (taxpayer): problem is the tax payer's liability has increased over the years, cos folk are living, thus claiming, longer; resulting in a pensions black hole; which will require increased employee contributions for a longer period. Clearly, we've sleep walked into quite a mess. :shock: