Risk of flooding.

Peter T

The Environment Agency called round yesterday, when we were out and left a card asking us to get in touch, so as to register our homes for free flood warnings.

My wife rang them, and they wanted our mobile numbers and a password for security. Fair enough.

I am wondering WHY they didn't use an e-mail address, as I would have thought that would be cheaper.

Anyone else registered?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete but you carry your mobile with you so it's easier and quicker. But maybe you have email on it but not all people do yet. Perhaps they should have taken both.

I did apply for a job there a couple of weeks ago but they didn't even acknowledge my application form which took a day to complete with case study etc.

I do however remember a week before staging the Chris Vose 10km from Vicky Park when the River Mersey breached its banks and the track was under water. Fortunately the place drains quickly and it was okay by the Sunday otherwise I would have had a 1,000 soggy runners.

According to the report in the Guardian, Warrington is the 7th worst place in the country when it comes to risk of flood. Errrr is that right? Never a year goes by without we see reports on telly of floods affecting this town or that but never have I seen Warrington making the headlines for floods.

In my past work, I've had need to make use of the governments own computer model for predicting radio coverage and the results were often laughable. I suspect the same software engineer wrote the routines that gives Warrington such a soggy outlook by failing to include the Ship Canal's drainage effect in the calculations.

No way on this earth is Warrington such a high-risk flood area and certainly not the seventh worst in the country. Sack the programmer and buy a new PC. You know it makes sense! :)

[ 06.12.2007, 20:00: Message edited by: Bill ]

Originally posted by legion:

you can put your postcode to see your risk here

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/flood/

white means your pretty damn safe, were talking biblical floods to hurt you.

Typed my post code in and also tried typing Warrington and all I got was a completely empty whiteish box on the screen with no map. Does that mean we are also at risk from snow blizzards or :o Was I supposed to see something?

Anyway if Warrington is now officially noted as the 7th highest on the flood list will that affect all our home insurances once insurance companies type in the WA4 prefix ? :o

[ 06.12.2007, 21:11: Message edited by: Dismayed ]

House insurers are already asking about flood problems around Latchford.

Geoff,

The reason I suggest e-mail notification is that it would save money.

I would expect a gradual rise in the level of the river, rather than a tidal wave.

I reckon that if the warning came by mobile, it would be too late anyway.

acceppted Pete, just put my post code in and we're a good 50 meters away - phew - however the new pond on the green infornt of our house will soon be supporting ducks so it might be closer than the map indicates.

I noticed last week that spittle brook had risen and broadened a lot, it's gone down again before it breached but with the forecasted rain and sodden earth of late it going to be a wet one over the next few days. - I'm off to buy a canoe before Cinnamon Brow becomes an Island & I'll have to get down to Woolston Baths to brush up on my swimming and life saving skills.

[ 07.12.2007, 06:47: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

The Environment Agency's maps are not based on detailed topographic survey data and so have a huge margin for error - you should be aware of this. Anyway, the Environment Agency is pushing for a ?30m flood-barrier that will supposedly mitigate the risk to much of Warrington. There are only two problems with this scheme: 1. the EA cannot afford it and it will take an awful lot of developer contributions to get close, and; 2. it won't work!

Todays story on the sale of land at Cardinal Newman, for housing amazed me as its this very spot that floods.

I think in times past they used the Black Bear Canal to channel water into the Manchester Ship Canal as an overflow, from the Mersey to prevent this, alas, BB Canal was filled in

Originally posted by Bill:

According to the report in the Guardian, Warrington is the 7th worst place in the country when it comes to risk of flood. Errrr is that right? Never a year goes by without we see reports on telly of floods affecting this town or that but never have I seen Warrington making the headlines for floods.

In my past work, I've had need to make use of the governments own computer model for predicting radio coverage and the results were often laughable. I suspect the same software engineer wrote the routines that gives Warrington such a soggy outlook by failing to include the Ship Canal's drainage effect in the calculations.

No way on this earth is Warrington such a high-risk flood area and certainly not the seventh worst in the country. Sack the programmer and buy a new PC. You know it makes sense! :)

I'm sure this is deja vu, could have sworn I'd already read this this morning

:crazy:

Fatshaft

Yes it?s a game of spot the difference but there?s no prizes.

Reader

The Mersey doesn?t need the black bare canal to help drainage because it runs directly through the Manchester Ship Canal. So if push comes to shove the sluice gate could be opened at Latchford locks that would effectively turn off the Mersey thus preventing flooding. I think the only way we can flood badly is a combination of prolonged heavy rain coupled with high tides.

Mcbain

30 million seems cheap for a Mersey Barrage or have I got that bit wrong and also how do you know it won?t work if the EA think it will.

Bill :)

Well said Bill, at the last Warrington Cinservation Forum Group meeting someone from the EA gave a talk on why Warrington had escaped this year. It was as you say down to the Manchester Canal acting as a drainage system. By the way its our AGM tomorrow at Risley Moss, 10am.

And OBs as for solicitors they proabaly use the search facilities of my old bosses wife who has one of the local franchises.

[ 07.12.2007, 13:01: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

Given that the Manchester Ship Canal acts as a giant over-flow drainage regulator for much of Warrington, why does the Council go out of its way to annoy the Ship Canal Company? Be hilarious if MSCC stopped taking water from overflow drains and said "Okay, WBC, it's your water - you deal with it!"

Certain areas are more liable than others and I think the fact that Warrington is in a valley heavily influences the flood risk.

I live in Dallam and almost back on to Sankey Brook (there is a another row of houses between us and the brook). A few years ago we DID flood and ended up with about 3 foot of water in our garden. Fortunately because we are on a bit of a rise our house was safe but the ones behind suffered greatly. The problem was not the water coming over the bank but water flowing back up the drains instead of the other way round.

Since then there has been a pumping station put in to make sure this does not happen again and so far it hasn't but it we are still classed as a flood risk because of where we are!!!! That's life I suppose and as we knew we were close to the brook when we moved here we just keep a close eye on the water levels and move things upstairs if we think there is a danger.

keeping a close eye on it and getting the wellies and waders ready. No seriously hoping the pumping station keeps on doing its job which it appears to be doing so far. If our house gets waterlogged then I am off to drier climes cos we will have had some serious rainfall and my feet will be suffering from trench foot!!