New chaos to come for Cromwell Vaenue/Winwick road

Legion

the second set of lights they are now completing on cromwell avenue for us locals, which anyone with the tiniest bit of common sense can see, before they even screw in the first bulb is going to cause chaos for people coming off winwick road onto cromwell avenue, the sequencing will be such that jams will back up to the roundabout and block wiwnick road...without a doubt.

why oh why oh why are they putting traffic lights everywhere, I need to know, is the traffic light company paying backhanders to whoever apporves this work.

There was need to help (only slightly) the traffic coming from newton and the ind estate of LA bowl to get out of that juntion but it wasnt realy a problem, a roundabout (ENVIRONMENTALY FREINDLY ROUNDAABOUT) wouyld have served the purpose and would not be an ongoing cost and likely to fail as lights do.

we have lights everywhere, ones that are never used on the sliproad from winwick link road onto the M6 North...waste of our money...never on

or the ones at the top of birchwood expressway to the m62 which sequence of wasted electricity is such that they constantly change so that it affects traffic not one iota as by the time they change to red theyre going back to green, the only perpose they serve is that they dangerously do not allow you to gain sufficient momentum to join the motorway.

not to mention the ones at the college that get jammed up with post office lorries and stobbard/Irlam lorries turning right which take up the whole quadrant, stopping long lane, winwick road from moving.

somone tell me, what is the backhander value per trafficlight for a warrington council official ?

I think more like 000

I do think they may have turned them on now because there was a two lane queue all the way back down to the Alban retail park.

Either that or they had temporary ones on. Either way this was at 8pm tonight and if that is a warning of things to come, God help us!

the traffic congestion last night was due to the inconsiderate workers painting white lines ate the future traffic congestion lights. the police as usual were not on hand to assist as this job is now not on their task list of arresting anyone.

the future congestion site is due to open imminently and will no doubt be another source of congestion aimed at making road users despair of any decent management being shown by the traffic (mis) managers at WBC. It nayone taking bets on the length of the graffic congestion queues ... will the motorway be blocked ...how long will it take to cross over the a49...where will the traffic (mis) managers hide or will the "consultants" responsible justify their work by the use of obsolete data again?

wait and watch ..in trepidation.

Wow I have just noticed that the "experts" used by the Council to develop and introduce the congestion lights have also catered for the lone cyclist who uses Cromwell avenue by utilising their store of green paint to magic a cycle lane at the junction/

I now want bets on when the first cyclist is injured or perhaps they have more sense and will just avoid the area. What justification is there for this intrusion on valuable road space that motorists pay for and cyclists do not get rid of the cycle lane before someone gets hurt

I came out of work today and the traffic was backed up from the lights to the Odeon and beyond. I went round by the Seven Woods and got on Cromwell further up where the road was clear (possibly because they were all stuck at the lights!)

It used to be a clear run into work but now I'm regularly stuck in traffic. How can anyone think the new measures are an improvement?

the traffic congestion last night was due to the inconsiderate workers painting white lines ate the future traffic congestion lights. :wink:

I loved that sentence Wahl - says it all really. I know you have a congestion problem there but really its a rush hour thing right?? There is no where in the USA that I have been that doesn't have rush hour traffic congestion. But then again we have very few roundabout and too many traffic lights!!

Just seen the road layout at the new lights at the Bowling.

Imagine coming south from the M62 and wanting to head to ikea. Some years ago two lanes were allocated for the right turn and they merged into one just before the bridge adjacent to the calver road turn.

Still the same as you come down the A49 but as you turn off in the right hand lane, you are now in the lane for right hand only turn into Calver road. No doubt that light will be filtered and therefore subject to q's. You will then be stuck trying to get back into the correct lane or alternatively those queing will be hit in the rear by unsuspecting cars coming off the roundabout. One HGV and chaos will ensue.

Can you believe therefore the correct lane southbound down the A49 will be the centre lane only!!!

Those in charge of the transport department are mad. This is totally unsafe and a botch job.

But that hasn't changed with the new lights.

As you approach from Winwick road there always was a single straight ahead lane and a right turn filter. Take a look at the google map satelite view:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Winwick+Rd,+Warrington+WA2,+United+Kingdom&sll=54.162434,-3.647461&sspn=15.96742,29.882813&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,53.40 7962,-2.595597&ll=53.414055,-2.599771&spn=0.00099,0.001824&t=h&z=19&om=1

It is very common for the number of lanes through a junction to increase in order to optimise the capacity, and for traffic to merge back to a single lane having passed through the junction.

However, now that Gemini traffic can use J8 it would make sense for the some of the lanes at the Winwick Road/Cromwell Avenue junction to be removed to make the junction safer.

the hatching has been removed and the lane (visible just where the two white arrows indicate it should merge) now follows straight on into the previous slip lane.

As I said when you come off in the right hand lane south there is no warnign that you should get over or merge as it now flows straight into the previous slip lane.

I think that will cause problems.

I agree, but this again is half a job being done. The traffic planners seem to focus their ideason the junction without any concern of the knock on effects.

Westbrook lights is the prime example and thsi seems to follow. When i went past on Sunday, there appears to be no intent on changing the roundabout. As a result there will be collisions and congestion.

Originally posted by Pete Owens:

But that hasn't changed with the new lights.

As you approach from Winwick road there always was a single straight ahead lane and a right turn filter. Take a look at the google map satelite view:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Winwick+Rd,+Warrington+WA2,+United+Kingdom&sll=54.162434,-3.647461&sspn=15.96742,29.882813&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,53.40 7962,-2.595597&ll=53.414055,-2.599771&spn=0.00099,0.001824&t=h&z=19&om=1

It is very common for the number of lanes through a junction to increase in order to optimise the capacity, and for traffic to merge back to a single lane having passed through the junction.

However, now that Gemini traffic can use J8 it would make sense for the some of the lanes at the Winwick Road/Cromwell Avenue junction to be removed to make the junction safer.

No what adrain says is correct, from the middle lane out of the roundabout, as soon as you come off onto cromwell you are now in a right turn only, your picture clearly shows that previously you were in a lane that merged with the left hand and then seperated into a right turn only if you intended to go right.

the diffrence is now, you will be stuck behind standing traffic turning right waiting for a filter (if there is one to be) while all the traffic who are lucky enough to be in the left lane fly past you at speed and your "giving way" instead of "merging" now, to traffic coming from the obvious blind spot of the roundabout you have just come off.

I tell you what else they should do in that area (maybe what you meant by your following post) is highlight the lanes for going threaight accross the round about and continuing up winwick road.

the countless idiots I have nearly had hit me who think because thier lane is the second one across on winwick road, means it continues to be the second one on the round about is phenominal (im talking at least 5 per week) and ignoring that the lane on the left was turn left only.

I had one idiot bleeping his horn at me because he could not work this out !

Im sure most of you will have had similar experiance there.

[ 02.12.2007, 22:42: Message edited by: legion ]

OMG it gets worse.

they have not finished the side of longshaw street they started, but now they have blocked off half the road against the park area down to a single carraigeway so they can disrupt the rest,and with faulty lights.

the bridge is still flooding every day due to the weather (which was predicted, if not damn obvious to all but the planners of this disaster)

as a result

traffic cuts through coming from the hospital to winwick road, sits at the faulty lights showing red amber & green all in one go, for x amount of time till they can guess if its safe to doo a 400m gauntlet before the lights change to green at the other end.

discover that the bridge is flooded, then have to go back up longshaw, through the same lights and single pass, blocked by all the traffic that doesnt know that they soon will have to come back themselves.

when they get back to the top of longshaw street they realise the whole reason the lights near mcdonalds was so bad is because of all the traffic that normally cuts through from winwick road to the hospital way is trying to get through the lights because of the other side of the flooding !!!

meanwhile the police are now fining the poor residents of dallam who fed up with the situation and stupid temporary one ways while all this goes on, for traveling up streets they have always been able to travel up in the past, and that there is no reason for the streets to be one way anyway, as your only avoiding harrison square area of longshaw street, anyone not going there could have always avoided it and the ones that did need have access!!!!

MADNESS !!!

[ 09.12.2007, 22:09: Message edited by: legion ]