Recycling Warrington help required

Student Geoff

AlisonF

Do you have a lot of time on your hands :D You have made me think though :D

Our tea tonight consists mainly of pre-packed frozen foods as it's already getting late. Healthy stuff but packaged and frozen in a combination of plastic/cardboard all the same.

My son is having a drink of squash which comes in a plastic bottle..

Even my dogs food comes in a plastic tray, with cellophane covering (however you spell it) and cardboard outer packaging.

Just had a shower and my shampoo, conditioner and shower gell are all in plastic botles.

And then there's my wine...

....most of which finishes up in my wheelie bin along with my dog poo-poos :o

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dismayed:

AlisonF

Do you have a lot of time on your hands

Not really, I work full time and have several activities which take up evenings. I chose to buy things in bulk eg large bags / bottles of dried pet food, washing powder, washing up liquid etc and empty them into smaller, user friendly sizes. It's usually cheaper too which is always a bonus. I don't really like processed food and like to know exactly what's in my food and for me it's less hassle to cook from basic ingredients than to spend ages reading packets. Know what you mean about sorting meals when you get in after work though. That's why I tend to cook up big pans of chilli, curry, caseroles etc so that I can just warm them up with a few veggies in the evening. Tonight's tea was ready about 20 mins after I got in and most of that was boiling / steaming veg. It matters to me and to a growing number of my friends. You don't need to be perfect, every little helps and just because some people can't be bothered doesn't mean that others shouldn't try.

Originally posted by Bill:

Alison

With the greatest of respect, your never going to get the great unwashed to give up their TV dinner lifestyle and no mater how positive you or I may be, you know in your heart it?s just never going to happen.

Bill :)

Were you refering to me there Bill :roll:

Ha Ha! No it was a poor reference to the rest of society that doesn?t share Allison?s convictions. I think if Alison wants to believe she?s doing her bit to save the planet, then that?s fine but when she says

?How on earth are some of you managing to create quite so much rubbish?? well that?s almost an admission that she doesn?t understand how other people live.

All I?m trying to say is that there is a problem that needs a proper solution. The suggestion that if we all do our bit it?ll make a difference just isn?t realistic because you can never get the whole population to think and act the same way.

Bill :)

Originally posted by Peter:

Dismayed,

Most of your wine? ends up in the bin?

If you can't drink it, pm me and I will come and collect it. :)

:D

And anyway I wasn't knocking people who recycle... but personally the thought of having all the stuff hanging about in seperate bags for a week or more until I can get to the re-cycling points is not very appealing.

Now give me one big bin with seperate compartments and I'd happily sort my paper, card, plastic, rubber, glass, food waste and the like :wink:

Originally posted by observer:

The majority of "rubbish" (certainly over crimbo) was caused by excess packaging - so blame the suppliers/retailers, and of course the Government for doing nothing to reduce packaging. :roll:

Fair point, however I've never seen anybody holding a gun to anybody's head to buy it - pressure needs to be put on the big boys but one of the ways of doing this is to speak with your wallet.

Originally posted by AlisonF:

Originally posted by observer:

The majority of "rubbish" (certainly over crimbo) was caused by excess packaging - so blame the suppliers/retailers, and of course the Government for doing nothing to reduce packaging.

Fair point, however I've never seen anybody holding a gun to anybody's head to buy it - pressure needs to be put on the big boys but one of the ways of doing this is to speak with your wallet.
Hi AlisonF

Are you saying we should all STOP buying things until the manufacturers etc alter their packaging? :wink: Can you imagine the mess though... :wink::o

I am.

I am bald and have a parting down the middle, wear my Grandfather's false teeth(now that's recycling for you) and dress in Plus Fours, plus cravat and flat cap. I really blend into the back ground.

They're coming to take me away, ha ha, they're coming to take me away.

I talk to the trees, that's why they put me away. :(

How odd Peter... that's exactly how I imagined you to look, although I did expect you to have a 'comb over' to hide your huge bald spot :D:wink:

Idea for a new topic.... From their postings.. how do you imagine the poster to look? how old do you recon they are? what is their job? and what do you think their hobbies are? etc etc

Now that would be fun and we'd all fall out within no time :P

Anyway back to re-cycling before we get in trouble for detracting from the issue :o

Originally posted by Peter:

AlisonF,

Do you buy your eggs and milk loose? :confused:

Obviously not but I do get my milk from the milkman so wash my bottles for him to reuse. Eggs I buy in cardboard boxes which I put, along with the crushed egg shells in my wormery / compost bin.

Re the not buying stuff comment above, I'm not advocating not buying anything but that when you do, try and pick the option with less packaging and that has travelled less distance as consumer pressure DOES work, it just takes a bit of time/