Recycling Warrington help required

Student Geoff

Originally posted by Bill:

People who put their rubbish in their bins get called lazy by the greener than though brigade but if the system can?t cope as it is, imagine the queues if everyone were to do the same. People would be having time off work to visit the tip.

Not to mention all of the fuel that would be wasted in going to the tip and then queuing up to get to the containers.

Bill is right, Warrington is well behind the game on recycling and needs to look carefully at what other Councils are doing, rather than continuously congratulating themselves for this that and the other. Congratulations are only due for exceptional levels of performance and achievement, a harsh approach maybe, but one that stops complacency and ensures that the focus remains on what is a most important problem. :wink:

Worth noting that by the 2010/2011 financial year, a level of ?48.00 a tonne landfill tax will be reached - a 100% increase over 3 years.....paid for by council taxpayers, so not only an important problem but a costly one as well.

[ 01.01.2008, 14:05: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Bill

Now i get you. well maybe WBC should get their act together and get the Card ect collected but then again if they dont have anyone to sell it onto then its not worth their effort is it, Maybe there should be a taker for the Card so thats its recycled as well or burnt to make energy..i have no idea what the Germans do with it ours goes in with the normal paper..

I would presume it recycled along with the paper

Steve

What are the pros and cons for the building of a recycling plant so that all waste is taken there , sorted and sifted, all reusable waste sold on, whats left goes to landfill. It would centralise the process, create jobs and possibly be profit making ! It would also get rid of all the grot spots we call recycling centers, Lets have waste sorted and sifted on a tip and not in car parks and public highways and byways, Just a thought :) Lets hear your comments and ideas on this. :D

I don?t think the big issue is in the sorting plant but how the waste is transported there.

I?ve been advocating a simple bin for clean recyclable stuff for some time, but one thing has stumped me. The modern bin wagons have compactors that squidge everything together to get more in but this is then going to make it near impossible to sort.

I suppose a new none compacted waste lorry could be invented that doesn?t need fifty wheels or look like a battle tank. For sure it would need to make more trips to the sorting plant but at least this could be a lightweight sprinter rather than a big heavy plodder. It might not be quite as fuel efficient doing multiple runs but compared to every individual household doing just that, it has to be infinitely more environmentally friendly.

Bill :)

I went to the tip the day after boxing day, I was expecting it to be busy at 10.30 am, it wasnt !, it was like any other weekend day (although not actualy weekend)

I offloaded all my cardboard 2 bags worth, 3 bags of textiles, 2 bags of none recycleable about 30 bottles and an old PC case, all to their relevant areas.

I'm not a avid recycler, but do a trip with cans and bottles about 1/month, cardboard usualy goes in the bin but christmas is an exception.

the 2 extra bins I have confuse me though with their collection routines, mine have been full now for 4 months easily, however I have no idea when they get collected so I keep missing.

I beleive the garden waste is once every 5 weeks, I know theres a website that tells you, but surely a fixed day of the the month would be easier to remember especialy for those without internet.

[ 02.01.2008, 10:07: Message edited by: legion ]

So were Birchwood and probably still are but they were attempting to address the situation as there was a council yellow and a Birchwood Town red van tidying up the area whn we dropped off some clothes for the Sallie Army bank.

It just goes to show how popular these places are as loads of people were turning up to drop stuff off before they went shopping. :)

Well it's not as bad as in Napels where they are currently burning blocking off the streets wit rubbish and setting it alight. I think the Mafia are controlling the rubbish collection facilities.

Now I've never been to Italy except for a day trip from Yougoslavia as it was then. We had to smuggle coffee and stuff back under the coach seats for the courier - now that was a scary opportunity Bill :D

So maybe I should look up the Easy Jets flights to Napels and go and do some reasearch - Bill would someone like to sponsor me for this opportunity?

This morning?s headlines.(Monday)

----------------------------------------------

PLANS for a major waste transfer and recycling plant at Woolston, near Warrington, have been thrown out by the borough council

----------------------------------------------

I knew nothing about this despite living close by and having my office just a hundred yards away. I?ve done some digging :)

[ 14.01.2008, 12:18: Message edited by: Bill ]

Nah nothing like that but reading the report that's what you'd think. This has nothing to do with our domestic waste.

The application is from C & G Screening which if you Google it, you get details of a muli-million dollar company based in Florida providing environmental waste sorting facilities. However, the C & G Screening in this case seems to be a local firm supplying topsoil for gardens who are screening out debris from their soil.

So for now, we?ll all have to keep sorting our own rubbish and disposing of it ourselves. Twenty years ago if someone had suggested I?d be an unpaid worker for the council sorting rubbish I wouldn?t have believed them.

One of the main problems you would have with a mixed recycling collection is that the different materials would contaminate each other ie broken fragments of glass get into paper and make it worthless as a recycleable material. Sad but true.

On a different note, how on earth are some of you managing to create quite so much rubbish? Even after the Crimbo break in rubbish collection our black bin was still only half full! It's important that we all make sensible choices and send a message to the retailers by buying products without excessive packaging and only buy what we need to avoid this excessive waste situation.

It's being done already Geoff...

I once asked the question as to why Stockton Heath doesn't have any doggy poo bins (apart from the ones near the park).

I was told if it's a seperate and special bin purely for poo-poos the contents have to be treated as contaminated waste and disposed of accordingly...

If the poo-poos are put in a normal village bin (in bags of course ) they just get removed and sent to the normal waste disposal place as they would if you took them home and put them in your own wheelie bin...

Hi Alison and welcome to the forum.

I doubt any recycled materials could ever be guaranteed 100% contamination free. Even now where it?s not mixed, nobody can be certain that there?s not a bit of plastic in the cardboard or metal in the glass. If the recycled stuff needs to be sorted to such a high degree, then clearly trained operatives are needed rather than trusting the general public not to get it wrong.

I?d be more than happy to put everything that could be recycled into a bin and to make sure that nothing goes in there that?s dirty or that I wouldn?t like to handle myself. This is as far as I want to go with recycling. I don?t want to continue storing stuff up in my shed then drive it to Sainsbury?s each Saturday only to get peed on while posting things bit by bit.

As regards how full our bin gets, well if it wasn?t for the fact that we recycle, I?m sure we would struggle a bit and for the most part there?s only the wife and myself at home these days. I?m having Lamb chops for tea tonight with rosemary and red wine sauce so there?s some more plastic cardboard and cellophane to contend with then probably a tin can from the rice pudding for afters. Forty years ago chops came from the butcher and rice pudding definitely didn?t come in tins and as much as I would love to return to the days of mums cooking it?s not going to happen.

There is a big difference between somebody accidently putting a plastic bottle in the cardboard bin to a all the paper being mixed up with broken glass. One would result in an isolated incidence and the other would be far more wide reaching.

Also, it is only not possible to reduce the amount of packaging you buy if you don't bother trying. Have a positive attitude, myself and many of my friends have managed to reduce what we bring into our house and put into landfill so it is possible without that much effort when you get into the habit. My tea tonight consists of some frozen caserole which I cooked from meat bought at the butchers serveral weeks ago in a simple plastic bag and vegetables bought in brown paper bags. Not much waste there.