Recycling Warrington help required

Student Geoff

Is the Christmas recycling message lit up in the Town Centre one of hope or aspiration?

Given we are well behind the Germans as Steve will confirm where are we going wrong?

Why can't we recycle more in the Town is everyone lazy or bone idle or is there another X-factor?

After all there are tons and tons of stuff that can be recycled scattered all over the place ? plenty of raw material that it?s citizens have just cast away.

As you can see from this table English Recycle League Table we are 223rd out of 394 English Councils surely NOT something we should be pleased about.

Next time don?t walk by pick some of it up and dump it in a bin or better still the person you find dropping it because that?s where they should be. :onfire:

[ 28.12.2007, 16:24: Message edited by: Student Geoff ]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoff

Better still, do not buy the packaging in the first place.

Why does so much of what we eat come in packaging that costs us more than the goods we are buying.

The re-cycling message should really be aimed at the supermarkets who sell us all the packaging in the first place.

Merry Christmas

Rod

But why do they have so many rules on the recycling?

I have the bins in my garage for us to recycle and we do it now as a matter of course. Glass cardboard and plastic. Living right next to the Westbrook ASDA means we have a centre where we can take it very close to us.

The one that bothers me though is the paper recycling. Newspaper is fine but not envelopes or magazines or telephone books etc. Surely paper is paper and they should take nmore of it rather than restricting the collections?

Originally posted by Rod King:

Geoff

The re-cycling message should really be aimed at the supermarkets who sell us all the packaging in the first place.

Merry Christmas

Rod

Here we can leave the packaging at the Supermarket, simple unpack it and leave it there at the bins provided in the store.

Baz

I dont understand why you cant put envelopes Telephone books in the bins, we do maybe it something to do with the glue on them??

Steve

Originally posted by BazJ:

The one that bothers me though is the paper recycling. Newspaper is fine but not envelopes or magazines or telephone books etc. Surely paper is paper and they should take nmore of it rather than restricting the collections?

I think it is the contract that they have, it defines the quality of paper that the recycling company will accept and that the council are contracted to supply, I also understand there should be no glue, hence no envelopes and bound directories etc. I happen to think that the blue bins should be for all paper and card products with no restrictions...even if that means it is burnt for energy rather than turned into newspaper etc.

The problem is that we are too selective in what cab be recycled.

Paper. Apart from the glue problem, there is also a problem with dyes in some of the directories and such. Whilst some companies have changed their product, some haven't.

If these contaminants are put in the blue bins, who is going to sort them out? The paper companies won't because of the cost.

Plastic. Whilst we might recycle all our plastic, not all of it can be used.

That begs the question, what happens to the recycled plastic if it is not usable?

Glass. I have also heard that whilst we separate our bottles into colours, that they all get mixed in the wagon.

If this is true, why separate them in the first place?

The whole situation needs clarifying.

Peter

Ref the glass,Not quite right, the truck is seperated into three or more compartments but it does look like they are getting mixed if your standing outside, so its an easy mistake,i know because i thought the same untill i got the chance to ask the driver and he showed me from on top of the truck..

Steve

Pete I know you are a born pessemist but why shouldn't these companies who are offering so called recyle facilities tackle the issues head on and sort it?

Surely they must come up with greener, leaner ways of processing the materials.

Anyway it's also up to us with NO BIN collection service being made available (or is it just our road over the next two weeks) we have to make even more use of the recycle opportunities.

[ 29.12.2007, 13:27: Message edited by: Student Geoff ]

Originally posted by Student Geoff:

Pete I know you are a born pessemist but why shouldn't these companies who are offering so called recyle facilities tackle the issues head on and sort it?

Surely they must come up with greener, leaner ways of processing the materials.

Anyway it's also up to us with NO BIN collection service being made available (or is it just our road over the next two weeks) we have to make even more use of the recycle opportunities.

Bin collection? I thought you knew what went on ib the Community.

:roll:

Pessimism has nothing to do with it.

Recycling is about money, NOT saving the planet.

If material costs can be reduced by using some recycled stuff, then the company makes money.

IF they have to sort stuff out, it will possibly cost more than buying the raw material.

Steve,

I know. What I should have added, was that where a load is contaminated it allegedly gets shipped abroad.

ie. If you are making clear glass, a couple of green bottles could stop the production run.

Geoff, It is also important to remember that any change to the system by the council adds to the Council Tax bill.

Wait until you get a job, before pushing for something like that.

Pete, What's not being currently employed got to do with having a say in what goes on?

Are you going to start excluding pensioners, the sick and infirm etc. I hope not. :scared:

As for businesses who profess to recycle and don't they shouldn't be awarded a contract in the first place. If the rest of Europe can succeed then why can't we?

[ 29.12.2007, 15:49: Message edited by: Student Geoff ]

But I haven't applied there yet - do you know of any opportunities -n Deutchland as there are none for me here? As a European citizen I think I can apply. Do you know if I can sign on at your local JSA equivalent - if so I could stay in your box room as a lodger whilst I get myself sorted?

I could certainly study your good recycling processes and procedures. :D

[ 30.12.2007, 11:08: Message edited by: Student Geoff ]

Geoff

That hotel is inthe town center and is expensive there are some good places just outside Rheine that are cheaper and better and yes they do recycle all their waste if they dont it doesnt get collected and is left.

give you an idea what we have

Yellow bin bags for plastic?s and foil ect..

Blue bins for paper and cardboard ect.

Brown bins for organic waste?s

Grey bin for household rubbish

We also have Bottle banks and bins for clothes and shoes ect.

If you want a bulk Rubbish collection then you send off a postcard and they give you a pickup date.The same goes for larger items like washmachines,fridges ect if oyu have electroinic items you can put them out as well we also have the oppertunity to take all our bulk rubbish to the local dump this includes Hazadous item such as paint?s acids ect.. all this is mostly free of charge...

They have a fairly good system here for recycling nearly everything..

Steve

What Steve describes is virtually identical to what we have here in the UK with one exception. We're expected to drive to the tip to recycle our Cornflakes boxes and plastic milk bottles while in Germany they simply put it in their bin and the council takes it away. :)

[ 01.01.2008, 10:02: Message edited by: Bill ]

Originally posted by Student Geoff:

Cheers Steve just shows what can be done puts us all to shame - I wonder which of your local airports links to Liverpool? Might pay a visit this year if your unlucky :)

You can fly into either FMO(Fl?ghafen M?nster Osnabr?ck) or the next major Airport is Hannover.

you will have to let me know when as i would need to get some holiday booked in advance..

Bill

that can happen here with the bottles but all you do is drive a short way to the next ones or unitll you find ones that are empty,the shops here will tend to call in and get them emptied as they know that it looks untidy and cuases hassle to shoppers..

Steve

Bill

The guy should of sorted his stuff out before going to the bins saves time and effort.

What i see in your pic does happen here as well but thankfully not often and then only with glass but they guy who picks up the stuff generaly does get rid of the excess glass when he gets there so it isnt just left lying around..

Steve

No Steve, you?re missing the point. They shouldn't even be at the tip sorting bits of cardboard. You get you cardboard and plastic bottles taken away, we don?t.

People who put their rubbish in their bins get called lazy by the greener than though brigade but if the system can?t cope as it is, imagine the queues if everyone were to do the same. People would be having time off work to visit the tip.

The sooner this council wakes up to the fact that people have better things to do with their free time than to sort and cart rubbish the better.

Bill :)